Tabletop RPG Jam - #Threeforged RPG Design Challenge

So I don't know how many folks here are interested in the sort of RPGs where you sit around a table with a bunch of other dorks for a few hours while you pretend to be high elven courtiers or mathematicians planning heists or whatever else. Recently my gamethinkery has shifted almost entirely in that direction, and in reading up on the various ideas and conversations happening around RPG design, I came across this game jam being run by Paul Czege (who made the brilliant My Life With Master), so I thought I'd share it here.

The idea is that you submit a partially completed game, and then somebody else has two weeks to work on it, while you spend two weeks working on another person's game. That's repeated for another round, and then a panel of judges assesses the resultant games. This all happens anonymously (participants are only named at the end), so you can't contact the people who worked on the previous iterations of the game (and probably so that you don't freak out if you end up having to build on some indie visionary's ideas).

Anyway, this looks neat, and might be an interesting format for future MGSA game jams. Here's the link :) Anyone else keen?
Thanked by 1dammit

Comments

• edited
    Thought I'd post some resources for anyone interested, and if nobody's interested, there's some stuff that crosses over into video game design, so this isn't just a superfluous thread bump :P

First, here's a talk by Emily Short (great IF dev) on what story-driven video games can learn from tabletop 'storygames', and how the mechanics of those games are explicitly built to drive players towards telling certain kinds of stories.

Vincent Baker (creator of critically acclaimed games Dogs in the Vineyard and Apocalypse World on designing games that don't suck (Vincent is, by his own admission, not the best orator, so the text-only summary is a little easier to get through).

And here's a post by Vincent breaking down Apocalypse World's concentric design, and overlaps quite neatly with the concept of minimum viable product, which I've seen come up a lot in discussions about digital game development, and is definitely something to keep in mind when creating a game that somebody else needs to build on.

Lastly, there are all the entries from this year's 200 Word RPG Challenge, which show just how small a game can be and still be complete.
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine