Unity Rockstar Devs - We Want You!

edited in Jobs
Looking for seasoned Unity developers to join an existing, super-exciting project out of Cape Town. Join a passionate, focussed and determined team that is busy building an ambitious and highly stylised MMO strategy game for the mobile market.

You love C#, dream about pathfinding and AI and love games. We do too.

PM me if you interested, or just wanna say hi.

Evil Rabbit

Comments

• edited
    Hi, welcome to MGSA!

Can you please elaborate on the skills and experience you're looking for? Also, expected remuneration (ballpark is fine and ranges are totally acceptable) is also a good idea so that applicants have more information.

Any chance of posting your game here for feedback/crit/visibility? Nothing makes devs quite as keen as an amazing prototype :)
  • edited
    Awesome to hear you're planning on making a game!

Do you have any experience making an MMO? Do you have any other games you've worked on that potential developers can look at?

Is this work a paid full time position, contract work, or a revenue share model?

EDIT: oops! spent too long with this tab open before posting. I think @dislekcia's questions are mostly covering what I was also trying to ask
  • Looking for peeps with extensive C# experience and solid understanding of pathfinding and AI. Experience with tools like Apex Pathfinding a bonus. This would be a contract role of 3-6 months with opportunity to extend and possibly a perm position. Renumeration is competitive and depends on commercial experience. While we are several month into production, we are not keen to post any of the gameplay and potential candidates would need to sign NDA's.

Awesomely,

Sam
    dislekcia said:
    Hi, welcome to MGSA!

Can you please elaborate on the skills and experience you're looking for? Also, expected remuneration (ballpark is fine and ranges are totally acceptable) is also a good idea so that applicants have more information.

Any chance of posting your game here for feedback/crit/visibility? Nothing makes devs quite as keen as an amazing prototype :)
  • That sounds cool. It's good to hear you are planning on direct remuneration. I assume you're looking for an individual for a number of reasons, but if you don't come right, you could consider contacting one of the companies listed here.

Are you not posting gameplay because the project is for an external client and they are asking for that, or because you've decided you'd rather not put any details out there yet? The reason I ask is because at the moment there isn't really much information about the project itself, and I think any information could go a long way to getting more interest from potential developers. Perhaps you can post some really early work on the project, a high level overview, some screenshots, or perhaps some other related work you've worked on, like alternative prototypes or such?
  • We choosing to keep it under wraps for a little longer ;-)
  • We choosing to keep it under wraps for a little longer ;-)
    Why?

Also, have you considered that making an MMO is literally one of the hardest types of games you can make? And making games is already really hard.
  • Also, why not introduce yourself and your team? Tell us who you are :-)
  • Yeah, we thought we'd bang it out in 3 months.
    Sarcasm of this kind is surely unnecessary here? All that is going to achieve is to make people who may potentially be interested in the opportunity that you are presenting think twice about the maturity level of their potential employer.

• With all due respect, the post is in the Jobs section targeted at experienced local developers who keen to work on a game that is being developed, has funding in place and has a dedicated team behind it. The post did not say:

We are some college students wanting to know if developing games is difficult, in particular MMO style games. ;-)

If it was easy, everyone would do it. If everyone did it, then there is no point right!

Its tough yes, and competitive! But, its a talented, brave team that loves what we do, is determined to produce a killer titles and looking for like-minded people.

Looking forward to share much more detail with the community at a later stage.
    Sneak peak of a model attached:

Best,

Rabbit
    Yeah, we thought we'd bang it out in 3 months.
    Sarcasm of this kind is surely unnecessary here? All that is going to achieve is to make people who may potentially be interested in the opportunity that you are presenting think twice about the maturity level of their potential employer.

• edited
    Yip sarcasm definitely not needed. But at the same time, not everyone who has an opinion on the merits or challenges of game development needs to comment on the post ;-) Comment removed!
    Yeah, we thought we'd bang it out in 3 months.

• edited
    Yip sarcasm definitely not needed. But at the same time, not everyone who has an opinion on the merits or challenges of game development needs to comment on the post ;-) Comment removed!
    Only 1 person that replied in this thread does not run their own game studio. You're pretty close to disregarding a wealth of experience on the merits and challenges of game development, I'd advise against that.

If you feel you're not being treated the way you want to be, show more of your work. That's the best way to differentiate yourself from the hundreds of other first-time posters with massive dreams... I'm sure your goals/dreams/plans are great, but nobody here can judge that from 1 or 2 posts that look exactly like the classic "Hey I have a game idea" standard evaporating job offer.

Again, nobody's attacking you here. I'm glad you've decided to reign the sarcasm in.

P.S. Quote followed by reply would be the forum standard ;P
  • edited
    Imagine a job post in on a job board for a construction community:

We looking for artisans with experience in bricklaying

Then, the replies in the group:

Show us all the house you want to build and tell us more about it.
    Do you know how difficult it is to build a house? Its really difficult to build house and they always late (As we know in CPT)
    Tell us more about the house you want to build - we think it will be a better house if you do.

I thought this was a Jobs board and posted for a developer position. Not sure why everyone who owns a game company feels they need to post further comments here. This post was targeted at developers, not studio owners.

Peeps who are interested in the role can pm me if you would like more information. Other game studio owners - would love to hear from you too and get feedback, insights and share a shoulder to cry on. But don't feel this job ad is the place for this.

Thanks for the feedback everyone - do really appreciate it, and look forward to further constructive, positive conversation via PM

Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • A) I sure as hell won't be happy with being compared to a bricklayer.
    B) People who sell houses (plural) are developers. I've not heard of a single developer who hires bricklayers. If you're hiring bricklayers personally, you're probably building your own house. In which case, a hobbyist response of "oooh, I wanna know what you're building" is completely valid.
    C) When people are trying to be helpful because they've seen the same post a million times and want to pre-empt such a post from getting nothing because it's ill constructed (if you're experienced, show it. If your project is enticing, show it, if you're not experienced nor is your project enticing, then the inputs are perfectly on the mark), you certainly can tell people to shut up, but that doesn't really help yourself.

Thanks for showing a great piece of art. I hope one piece of art is enough to convince people that you're the real deal, though I'm not personally convinced (again, seen too many) (yes I know you think you're special, but none of us know that and none of us can see that. Communicate that specialness, please).
  • Guys this thread is absolutely ridiculous. Seriously. This is typical of why this forum is considered by many to be a toxic community.

Yes, we've all seen people trying to make an MMO and fail terribly, but do we really need to derail the thread to make that point?

This job post wasn't great, it should have more details about the length of time; potential salary; a bunch of other stuff; but does that really mean we need such an aggressive response? After those details were retrieved, this just turned into a thread of unsolicited and passive-aggressive advice - but one sentence of sarcasm is what we criticized? COME ON?!

Seriously, it's pretty demeaning and condescending to ask people:
    Also, have you considered that making an MMO is literally one of the hardest types of games you can make? And making games is already really hard.
    Why do we have to treat people with such disdain? There are actually quite a few people making games in SA that have a huge wealth of experience and don't hang out on this forum. Imagine someone who worked on multiple successful AAA titles posted here, looking to hire someone - if you knew their background you wouldn't ask such aggressive and condescending questions. So why should you ask such questions not knowing their background anyway? I can see the response to this will be "oh they should have introduced themselves" - uh, no. Whether we know who they are or not, we can still avoid being condescending and aggressive.

You need to treat everyone with respect - there is no respect in this thread. No respect for the poster. No respect for their goal to hire someone. Hell - there's no respect even for their money they want to use to pay someone.

This was a thread aimed at hiring someone. It has been completely derailed by people giving unsolicited advice on how the poster should run their company; and their project. The advice is all good and sound; but it's still derailing the thread.

This is really painful to keep watching over and over again.
  • Tuism said:
    A) I sure as hell won't be happy with being compared to a bricklayer.
    B) People who sell houses (plural) are developers. I've not heard of a single developer who hires bricklayers. If you're hiring bricklayers personally, you're probably building your own house. In which case, a hobbyist response of "oooh, I wanna know what you're building" is completely valid.
    C) When people are trying to be helpful because they've seen the same post a million times and want to pre-empt such a post from getting nothing because it's ill constructed (if you're experienced, show it. If your project is enticing, show it, if you're not experienced nor is your project enticing, then the inputs are perfectly on the mark), you certainly can tell people to shut up, but that doesn't really help yourself.

Thanks for showing a great piece of art. I hope one piece of art is enough to convince people that you're the real deal, though I'm not personally convinced (again, seen too many) (yes I know you think you're special, but none of us know that and none of us can see that. Communicate that specialness, please).
    Not that it is relevant to all the game studio owners posting here, but everyone seems very interested so here goes:
    The team behind this project have been in digital, development and marketing for 15+ years; winning many industry awards in the digital space. Its an executive team of established cto's and executive creative directors in digital that have outputted a fortune of award winning work. The team produced Snailboy and are busy with Snailboy 2 now. We are not extensively seasoned game developers - thats why we want you, but have spent too many years developing scalable, successful projects across many platforms and know enough about production to know that it ain't easy. But that's why we do it. It it was easy, we wouldn't do it.

@Tuism if you are a developer interested in discussing the project further, please PM me or want to simply chat more - please PM me, but lets leave this post to be what it was meant to be: a job posting for developers.

Best,

Rabbit
  • edited
    How a job posting has managed to degrade so quickly into what seems to be becoming a regular series of caustic aggressive/passive-aggressive responses is really disappointing.

Minus the initial posts asking for more information with respect to the work, how does this line of questioning and comments directed toward @EvilRabit have a place in this section of the forum?

If there is some set of general information (remuneration, period, terms, etc) that the community thinks is important enough to be included in the opening posts made to the job category, by all means lets request it. Otherwise, as asked by @EvilRabbit, kindly contact him directly for details you think are important to your own decision making.
  • Imagine a job post in on a job board for a construction community:

We looking for artisans with experience in bricklaying

Then, the replies in the group:

Show us all the house you want to build and tell us more about it.
    Do you know how difficult it is to build a house? Its really difficult to build house and they always late (As we know in CPT)
    Tell us more about the house you want to build - we think it will be a better house if you do.
    I don't think that's a fair comparison to make. Or at least, there aren't so few bricklayers around that they get to choose which of the currently in construction houses they get to work on. Most of the skills involved in game development aren't fungible, so hiring as though they were doesn't work.

Also, this isn't just a jobs board. If that place existed here in SA it would be very, very quiet.
    I thought this was a Jobs board and posted for a developer position. Not sure why everyone who owns a game company feels they need to post further comments here. This post was targeted at developers, not studio owners.
    Because running a studio means experience hiring people. The initial job posting wasn't very likely to get many callbacks, mostly because it looked exactly like the random job posted here for non-existent games that never go anywhere. We now know that there's more to the job you're offering than that, would that have happened without the questions?
    Peeps who are interested in the role can pm me if you would like more information. Other game studio owners - would love to hear from you too and get feedback, insights and share a shoulder to cry on. But don't feel this job ad is the place for this.
    It would probably be a good idea to start a thread for specific questions/problems, maybe one for the game itself? You're right, there's discussion that would be useful elsewhere, certainly, but people trying to help you hire someone with an enticing job offer isn't a bad thing... Yeah, I can understand how posting a job offer and getting meta-feedback on the offer itself could be frustrating.

That said, here's a job offer that I feel you could make instead and look like a very different company/project to how the first post came across:

Cape Town studio looking for experienced Unity developers

Join the team that made Snailboy and currently working on Snailboy 2! We're looking for a badass C# programmer with experience in Unity to work on an unannounced mobile strategy MMO. Pay is competitive and scales according to experience. Position is permanent and available immediately.

We need you to:
    -Love games and making them
    -Know C# and Unity inside out (3 or more years of experience preferred)
    -Have previous experience with pathfinding
    -Be keen to work on-site in our awesome Cape Town offices

*Post game artwork*

We need you to make these units attack each other in-game!

*Snailboy trailer*

Our previous game, Snailboy, has reached X many people and received Y awards/accolades/reviews.

Please email CVs and/or queries to ... or contact me via PM to find out more.
  • Seriously, it's pretty demeaning and condescending to ask people:
    Ok, so I very much don't think that question is so condescending or demeaning (I do agree it could probably have been phrased slightly better, but that doesn't seem to be the issue), especially considering there is no information up to that point which indicates @EvilRabbit or the team has any experience making games. This is also after I earlier asked (which I didn't get a response to):
    Do you have any experience making an MMO? Do you have any other games you've worked on that potential developers can look at?
    My rationale for asking such questions was to provide inexperienced developers with enough information to make an informed decision. I think this is important to include in a job posting, which is why I think it is important to ask. I feel that as a community we shouldn't just ignore potential pits that our inexperienced developers could fall into. Did I miss something here?

Thanked by 1dislekcia
  • Lol, I don't think everything can be answered on a Forum post, that's why ER said PM for details or go have a beer with @EvilRabbit and chat about it or visit their offices.

Find out for yourself what information you want!

Don't berate ER for the lack of information in the post. Come on people be civil, talk with @EvilRabbit not at.
  • I agree with PowerCat, relatively new to makegamesa and my impression is that certain replies seem hostile, not just in this thread, but recent other threads as well.

Like Evil Rabbit said, if you're interested private message him to get the info you want.
    Thanked by 2PowerCat Eric
  • So I think part of my comment has been missed. I am not personally looking for employment, and I believe most of the comments here are from people also not looking for employment. I think people looking for employment would probably make contact directly and this is a fairly natural place to ask for more information.

However, my feeling is that the amount of information given for quite some time (this has obviously since been resolved) was not enough to determine whether the opportunity was a legitimate position that would be a great opportunity for a developer, or whether it might be a good idea to strongly caution inexperienced developers from applying. I would really love there to be more of great opportunities for local game developer, but I feel strongly that this information should be checked so that inexperienced developers are protected against the numerous bad opportunities that are offered in the game dev world. Does anyone disagree with this? Maybe you agree with that, but think it could have been handled in another manner?

If my questions seemed rude or hostile, I am sorry, that was not my intention. I would value feedback on how I could improve my tone while still getting the important information to the potentially inexperience developers who might need it. Feel free to send such feedback via any channel, including PM, twitter or such.
  • edited
    *moderator hat*

I'm trying to figure out how to split the "OMG this forum is so hostile" comments into their own thread. The irony being, of course, that calling entire threads passive-aggressive without referring to specific instances or events is itself a passive-aggressive thing to do ;P

For the record, MGSA has a responsibility to both protect devs from poor jobs AND help studios get the best results from their job offers. This means that more information is required about jobs when they're posted. Forums are extremely bad at maintaining static information, so nothing is known about new posters when they post something and those new posters know nothing about the existing posters that reply. This means that there's a necessary clarification phase in almost every new job post that's offered as the first thing someone does on the forum. If that norming and clarification-seeking phase is going to be construed as hostile, that's always going to cause problems. Until people start actively attacking each other, it's best to assume that things are meant amiably... That's why the sarcasm was called out as unconstructive and awesomely removed. Yay, everyone get on with their lives.

@EvilRabbit: Would you like to start a new job post and I close this thread in the meantime? Or maybe we sacrifice this to the other discussion?
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • dislekcia said:
    *moderator hat*

I'm trying to figure out how to split the "OMG this forum is so hostile" comments into their own thread. The irony being, of course, that calling entire threads passive-aggressive without referring to specific instances or events is itself a passive-aggressive thing to do ;P

For the record, MGSA has a responsibility to both protect devs from poor jobs AND help studios get the best results from their job offers. This means that more information is required about jobs when they're posted. Forums are extremely bad at maintaining static information, so nothing is known about new posters when they post something and those new posters know nothing about the existing posters that reply. This means that there's a necessary clarification phase in almost every new job post that's offered as the first thing someone does on the forum. If that norming and clarification-seeking phase is going to be construed as hostile, that's always going to cause problems. Until people start actively attacking each other, it's best to assume that things are meant amiably... That's why the sarcasm was called out as unconstructive and awesomely removed. Yay, everyone get on with their lives.

@EvilRabbit: Would you like to start a new job post and I close this thread in the meantime? Or maybe we sacrifice this to the other discussion?
    I definitely feel we should start a new thread and stick to the topic. Don't feel this thread represents the spirit we are all proud of.
  • I definitely feel we should start a new thread and stick to the topic. Don't feel this thread represents the spirit we are all proud of.
    I think you might be misunderstanding... The questions to establish more information about your job offer so that inexperienced devs that might not know what to ask/look for are better informed, those are totally the spirit that MGSA is proud of.

As is providing feedback on the way the job offer came across (that's not off topic). I expect any offer made in a new thread to have substantially more information.
  • edited
    dislekcia said:
    I definitely feel we should start a new thread and stick to the topic. Don't feel this thread represents the spirit we are all proud of.
    I think you might be misunderstanding... The questions to establish more information about your job offer so that inexperienced devs that might not know what to ask/look for are better informed, those are totally the spirit that MGSA is proud of.

As is providing feedback on the way the job offer came across (that's not off topic). I expect any offer made in a new thread to have substantially more information.
    The job post clearly stated "seasoned Unity developers" not inexperienced developers.

So reading all these comments again has left with me with a pretty bad taste in my mouth. I have been in industry long enough, worked globally on many great projects, have been recruiting developers and running great teams for many years. I have never had an experience like this before. Our ambition has always been to try and build from the SA community and hope we will still be able to recruit like-minded talent. However, after posting once again on similar jobs threads on forums overseas, we have received many excellent, seasoned candidates.

Some interesting points:
    Not one game studio owner posted on the threads - which seems to be the majority here for some odd reason
    Not one person insisted I post details of the game in the thread and include a beta
    No one asked me to substantiate my "specialness"
    No one had the audacity to tell me rewrite the job post to suit them better
    Candidates - who the post was actually targeting, PM'd me as I suggested

Certain people seem to believe they are custodians of the game community in South Africa, yet not seeing any real success in the market so not sure where this vast experience and insight comes from.

No need to reply to this thread and wont be creating another on MGSA - please PM me if you interested in any positions and determined to produce great work.

Thanked by 3petrc WilliamHK Eric
This discussion has been closed.