Game Developers Required

Hi All

I'm new here. I run a company called Code Cabin. We are situated on the East Rand of Johannesburg. We are a development company and we are wanting to branch into the gaming industry.

I'm looking to hire a couple of game developers.

Some details around what we will be wanting to achieve:
  • Platforms targeted: iOS, PC (Steam), PS4, and perhaps Android
  • The game we are wanting to create will be similar to H1Z1 & Jurassik Ark
  • Unique assets will need to be created (we may outsource this)
Graduates are welcome.
This is a full time position.
Working hours: 7am to 4pm | 8am to 5pm | 9am to 6pm. Your choice.

Get in touch with me on nick@codecabin.co.za or 011 894 3913

Comments

• edited
    Hi there and welcome!

So, to be clear, the first game you want to make is an MMO and targets both mobile and current gen consoles? Is that the same game that runs on each platform?

I can't find stats about Jurassik Ark, but I believe H1Z1 was developed by a team of around 30 developers (it fluctuated because they pulled devs from other teams working on other games in the same company) who had decades of experience making several MMOs (and still kind of failed, though it could be more to do with bad PR and layoffs).

I don't know what your financial position is, or how large a team you want to build, and I don't want to presume you've not done research or not made games before, but this looks as if you're taking on an extremely large amount of unnecessary risk with little understanding of the scope you're dealing with.

I do want there to be more game developers, more jobs, but I really want them to succeed too, and I'm posting in that light. Unless you're privy to a lot of information that I don't have, might I suggest making a much, much smaller game and a bunch of prototypes for your debut title?
  • @NickDuncan

Welcome to the forums! I've had a look at what Code Cabin currently does and it seems that you are a digital marketing agency. Awesome. Are you looking to make games for client purposes, as part of a larger marketing strategy or do you simply want to move away from marketing towards building a game development studio? If it's the former, could I suggest perhaps partnering up with an existing game development studio has the experience to take on and build a project that suits a client that you have? This is essentially what we do at RetroEpic (retroepic.com) and we'd be happy to talk to you about your project ideas :)
  • @dammit, it wont be for "Code Cabin". It will be for a new business.
  • (Actually, after chatting with the team here, H1Z1 and zombie survival games seem to have done quite well despite a lot of player disillusionment and bad reviews. But you'd be betting a few million rand investment on this being a continued trend in ~2+ years, when likely other zombie survival MMOs have entered the market... or perhaps there's some other vital information I'm missing.)
  • Sounds like a huge project, hope you have a large coffer of angel investment.

If you do, great! Glad you investing it here.
  • edited
    @NickDuncan I guess a few people are saying they'd like more details about your plan.

MMO survival games are big money makers right now, but they're also massive undertakings. So I think people are reading your initial post and recognizing that you are aware of the former, but nothing in your post suggests you are aware of the latter.

I'd expect that game developers would be excited to join a MMO survival project that rivals H1Z1 or Jurassik Ark. It'd be super sweet if a successful project like that was developed in SA. But there are a lot of stories of this kind of project failing. So any details about the expected scope of the project and the resources your company brings would be reassuring.

And welcome to MakeGamesSA! Sorry if your initial posts have been met with skepticism (this is a tough industry, where the dedication required is often ludicrous, so it can be a tough crowd).
  • @dammit, it wont be for "Code Cabin". It will be for a new business.
    Awesome :) Again, if you'd like to get in touch with an experienced team to help you out please don't hesitate to get in touch with us. You may find that a lot of experienced programmers have already been swept up into a much larger international project that's landed in SA so you might find it a little tricky getting a team together for a while. Good luck though.

Thanked by 1mattbenic
  • Hey @NickDuncan! Welcome to the forums :).

i won't give you much thought about your game, as everyone above has given you ample :).

If you want to get to grips/make contact with the Joburg Game Development community, you should drop by one of the Joburg Meetups. The next one should be on the 14th of July :).
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Wow. glass half empty.

I say go for it. Not
    Hi there and welcome!

So, to be clear, the first game you want to make is an MMO and targets both mobile and current gen consoles? Is that the same game that runs on each platform?

I can't find stats about Jurassik Ark, but I believe H1Z1 was developed by a team of around 30 developers (it fluctuated because they pulled devs from other teams working on other games in the same company) who had decades of experience making several MMOs (and still kind of failed, though it could be more to do with bad PR and layoffs).

I don't know what your financial position is, or how large a team you want to build, and I don't want to presume you've not done research or not made games before, but this looks as if you're taking on an extremely large amount of unnecessary risk with little understanding of the scope you're dealing with.

I do want there to be more game developers, more jobs, but I really want them to succeed too, and I'm posting in that light. Unless you're privy to a lot of information that I don't have, might I suggest making a much, much smaller game and a bunch of prototypes for your debut title?
  • Wow. glass half empty.

I say go for it. Not
    Is this sarcasm?

I'm not sure I understand... Are you saying that people with vast amounts of experience cautioning against try to build a huge project right off the bat with a green team is too negative? It sounds eminently sensible to me.
  • edited
    Wow. glass half empty.

I say go for it. Not

Quote first then say what you want. How many forums have you seen?