[Event(s)] PlayDev - June

edited in Events
Hello everyone,

In the wake of our first two PlayDev sessions, we're hosting one each weekend this month on the following days:

Session 1: Sunday, 7th June 2015 from 12:00
Session 2: Sunday, 14th June 2015 from 12:00
Session 3: Sunday, 21st June 2015 from 12:00
Session 4: Sunday, 28th June 2015 from 12:00

Where: Microsoft Campus Bryanston, 3012 William Nicol Drive, Bryanston, Johannesburg
I'll update this post a little later with a map.

The idea is to have a relatively stable event that developers can use to interface with other devs face-to-face.
Please bring your prototypes and problems that you would like new eyes and fresh perspectives on.

The event is leaning towards being on Sundays from 12:00 until between 17:00 and 20:00. If there is demand for Saturday we can host it then, or perhaps alternate the days.

If you're interested in coming on a particular day, please let us know in this thread, or PM us if it is for secret reasons.

The proposed topic for this weekend is iOS's new 64-bit requirement and what that means in practical terms.
Thanked by 2AngryMoose Tuism

Comments

• Barring any unforeseen circumstances, I'll be at Session 1.
    Thanked by 1Asbestos
  • I'll come tomorrow. Def.
    Thanked by 1Asbestos
  • Lego Expo >____>
    Thanked by 1Asbestos
  • Hmm I would love to come to these when I can!

Sunday will usually not work for me though :/.
    Thanked by 1Asbestos
  • this is still happening, right?
    Thanked by 1Asbestos
  • Yes, it's happening now.
  • June Session 2:
    It will be held this Sunday from 1200 to late.

We're going to be looking at implementing feedback forms directly into our games within the Unity framework. This part should be relatively straight-forward for the most part, but exploring the choices of back-end will be the more interesting part.
  • Hey did you get in touch with Daniel for Sunday?
  • Yes, Daniel will be attending for at least part of the session this Sunday.
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • I'll also be there to take you guys through building a bug reporting backend.
    Thanked by 2Asbestos Tuism
  • Many thanks to @Nitrogen and @jellymann for taking us through implementing backends for the Unity feedback system last Sunday. We weren't able to complete the system due to various technical and scoping reasons. If they're available we'll continue with it this coming Sunday.

We'll also be taking a look at the upcoming Entelect AI Challenge, both the AI and the GUI competitions. The competition closes for entries on the 14th of August 2015.
    Thanked by 2Pierre Tuism
  • We could continue with the backend for the Feedback system, but personally I'd be *much* more interested in discussing the Entelect AI Challenge!
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • Thanks for the feedback, debate and discussion guys, was much fun :)
    Thanked by 1Asbestos
  • Yeah. There was a lot of benefits yesterday.

The discussions sometimes ran too fast and i remebered a question that i didn't quite finish answering.
    The clothing and hair in meatball does not rely on unity's cloth.
    I simplified it by rigging the hair mesh with a "finger" of bones... or with the skirt, eight fingers. I wrote some physics code to simulate their ropelike motion. I haven't compared performance yet, but i trust my method uses a lot less computation than the dozens of nodes required by unity cloth physics.
    My code still needs to be iterated to maintain physics integrity around the body but i have two ideas on how to solve that problem in the near future.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Even the harsh feedback.
    Thanks for the recommended structure Paul. I feel that as we repeat the process, it will become more and more streamlined.
    Thanks nitrogen for showing your demo. It has great appeal to me for interactivity and adventure.
    I look forward to next week.

Thanked by 2Nitrogen Asbestos
  • edited
    @Asbestos:

Clutchfighter 3D!:
    Thanked by 3Asbestos Pierre Tuism
  • @Nitrogen

Wow, that's a lovely animation, and a cool design!
    It just needs more gun. Vroom Vroom Bang Bang!
    Thanked by 1Nitrogen
  • The next PlayDev session will take place this Sunday the 28th of June.

We will continue with The Entelect AI Challenge, this time with focus on the AI, as last week we focused mostly on the GUI Challenge. We also had a lot of good feedback on games, which is something I want to foster and build into the event in the future sessions.
  • Time is such a hassle to manage. I want to make strides in my game for Sunday. I also want to do some prep. Work for the entelect discussion. I guess I'll have to pick one.