Laughing Ginjah

edited in Projects
Do you have what it takes to match tiles while you match wits with the laughing Ginjah?

A memory matching game with a paw-some twist, Ginjah is a mobile game filled with cat-titude. You’ll need to keep track of all the flipped ginger cat tiles while the Laughing Ginjah uses every trick up his fur sleeves to muddle you up!

Flip tiles and match cats as quick as you can to get that clawsy best time. Share your times online and challenge your friends to best you!
Hello!

Yes, some of you may have seen the trailer for the game many months back and have been desperately wondering what's been happening on this little title of ours. Well, a few things! We took a lot of the community feedback and changed the griefs in the game to be all from Ginjah himself - so you'll see some new animations and the like. We've also got @mexicanopiumdog doing our sound - which we're really excited about :)

In the mean time, we'd really appreciate some testing and feedback. Right now the game is without sound, so that will change the experience, but we're focusing on tweaking how often Ginjah interacts with your board as well as the achievement unlocks. So, if feedback can be focused on that, that would be fab.

Web link: https://build.cloud.unity3d.com/distro/install?id=W1QF5IQ7fg (You'll need to pick a browser that isn't chrome to run it)

(If you feel like testing on android, PM me)

Comments

• We've fixed a few bugs and also updated the pacing for the achievements. Link updated in the first post :)
  • I tried in Firefox and Internet Explorer. The loading bar appears, and once it is full I get an error message "Failed to initialize player's 3D settings". Not sure if this is a problem with your build...
  • edited
    @hermantulleken Thanks. I'll check it out and get a fix from brendon on Monday.

Edit: Yup looks like I'm having the same problem.
  • Okay - so for whatever reason, we can't seem to get the webbuild working. BUT we're still looking for Android testers, if you're interested. PM me :)
  • We'd love some thoughts/feedback/suggestions on the icon for the App Store. I've added our 3 versions to the quick screen grab below at positions 2, 11 and 14.

PS: We should have a web build with sound shortly available to test out :)
  • I think the first Ginjah icon, in slot number 2, is the best out of the three.

Gave this a play last night, SOOO AGGRAVATING! But fun :)

P.S. Is it weird that I feel like you could study the Poker by Zynga icon for ages and still have no goddamn clue what it's trying to tell you? Also, it's kinda funny that Zynga and Big Fish as ex-juggernauts, are both desperately selling gambling games now...
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • @dislekcia, I think the icon is trying to tell as that Mellisandra is leading a double life. On the one hand she is a fire priestess for the god of light. On the other hand she has 3 WSOP bracelets and can read any bluff, provided she has some cards to set on fire.
    Thanked by 3dammit Tuism francoisvn
  • Web build now working (see OP). - There are weird shader issues in the web build (the tiles are square) and we're aware of some of the timing of the sound issues as well as the volume of some sounds.

Mostly we're looking for feedback on what the sounds feel like. Do they make sense? Are they annoying? Does it sound like ginjah?
  • A small little promo we're running on Ginjah at the moment: RetroEpic is sponsoring a friend for the TEARS sleepathon (specifically the owner of the massive ginger cat we're borrowing as a mascot). All that is required is some retweeting:

https://twitter.com/GinjahCat/status/712619177715056641

All the info: http://www.retroepic.com/ginjah-and-tears/
  • We have two versions of our trailer now and we'd love to have some feedback:

Thanked by 1petrc
  • In the first video, it's not immediately clear that the low rumbling sound is a cat purring, I only realised it on my 3rd watch. Maybe having a small animated silhouette of a cat rubbing against the logo or stretching out on top of it would make it clearer. The laughing cat at the end has the "Swapsy" audio playing, not sure if this is correct.

In the second video you can hear Ginjah laughing, however it doesn't feel as though the laugh suits the cat. For a big ginger like that you'd expect a deeper laugh (I'm hearing Garfield in my head).

In both videos the music really nice, it fits the mood created by the art and the type of game perfectly. The overall presentation oozes with polish. Really liked the little meow at the end :3
    I purrferred the 30sec video (leads nicely from logo to action), in the 25sec video things started to quickly for me.
  • The "Swapsies" at the end of the first video sounded like it was supposed to be a laugh instead.

I feel like the sound fx don't quite fit right. I don't know if it's the timing of them, as if the popping sounds aren't playing at the same time as the tile pops off the ground, that sort of disconcerted feeling when audio and visuals are a fraction out of sync, or if they're a spot too loud. I don't actually know what I'm talking about when it comes to audio, so I can only speak in feelings. :P

The visuals are super slick.
  • I quite like the sound effects myself, there's quite a variety of sounds and they're playful (I'm especially referring to the tile flipping sounds).

I am listening with headphones, and it does seem the spin sound effect (which is a kind of pop mostly) is a lot louder than the sound of the tile landing again... maybe this is giving the impression of being out of sync? (that @Elyaradine is perceiving)

The rumble at the start with the Retro Epic logo sounds ominous (and I expect this is because of the tendencies for logos to come in with Hollywood drones, and also the dark colours on that screen).

The "swapsies" plays twice in a row in the 30 second video... I kind of like the 25 second video better, but they're both really well put together I think!