Job Shadowing and how to start developing games

Hi is there anybody that knows of any game companies in Cape Town South Africa that I can go job shadow at even e-sports companies are good too. Also how does one start building games now before even going to university to learn about game development so that I have a sort of portfolio

Comments

• edited
    For starting to develop games.... download unity 5 and work through one of their "getting started" tutorials.
    Https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules
    Also keep your eyes on the forum and come to the next gamejam event hosted in your area.
    We learn by doing.
  • Thanks man anything on job shadowing though
  • There are a number of game dev companies in Cape Town area. You should probably look for companies you'd like to work at, and apply directly to them. I have no idea about any e-sports companies and I don't think many of them would have a presence here.

You may also want to bear in mind that job shadowing can be great for the scholar, but is pretty much a write-off for the company in terms of time, so putting in effort with presentation and grammar will make it significantly more likely that your requests garner favourable responses (vs probably just being ignored).

You should probably also consider following @Pierre's advice and just get started making games. Good luck :)
  • Thanks @francoisvn for the advice and I will start making games now and I did manage to find and e-sports company here in Cape Town that may take me in for Job Shadowing
  • What is an "e-sports" company and what would "job shadowing" for one be? Play dota? Or phone up sponsors all day? I don't get it :/
  • As I understand it, job shadowing is literally watching someone do their job. It's different from interning, where the person is expected to actually contribute or learn in some way.