Portfolio Project

edited in Portfolios
Awe People!

I want to build my portfolio, but didn't just want to show off 3D or Vfx, but rather all of my skills combined into the form of something that could be a game.

I already have a little prototype which is basically a small level and a bunch of other things mushed together.
Its still really buggy in some aspects, but its something.

So the idea is to make a short horror "game" with some mystery. I focused on creating the environment first and later want to add some storytelling elements.

Like I said, everything is pretty mushed together and a bit buggy with no real structured gameplay or events.

I would like some feedback on it visually(Texturing, 3D, Vfx, Level design and the Lighting) and im more than open to suggestions regarding how to define it gameplay wise.

Here is a link http://www.filedropper.com/alphabuild

Here are a few screensots

Comments

• I don't seem to be able to open the zip file at all. I keep getting an error message. However this could just be my PC.
  • edited
    Im pretty sure it should be working, ill do a download and try it. It is in .zipx format.

I did a test download and it is working on my side.
  • edited
    Hi there,

I can understand wanting to make a horror-like game, especially if you enjoy playing that kind of game, but based on the screenshots the darkness makes it extremely difficult to be able to critique the art at all because of barely being able to see it.

Since I gather your primary reason for making this is as a way to showcase your art, I think you really need to fix your lighting. Having lighting that leaves blackness everywhere is fine if you're making something like Thief where the black shadows are actually a game mechanic, but in this case you're really not doing yourself any favours. Furthermore, you while absolutely can still get a creepy, horror-type "feel" without putting everything in darkness, horror-like lighting is typically quite desaturated, which tends to hide another channel of information and can make it difficult to evaluate your art.

And while it's certainly nice to see things running in a game engine, if you're looking at game art positions, the most important thing is still that things look good, and for 3D game art positions it's still pretty important to see wireframes, UV layout and other things that typically aren't easy to show in an executable. Also, for the person doing the hiring, it's actually a real schlep to have to download, unzip and run a game compared to opening a simple website, especially when you've got 50 tabs open because of the flood of applicants. So even if you do make the 3D interactive version, you should probably prioritise the portfolio web page.
    Thanked by 1LC_Lupus
  • Hehe, I actually don't enjoy playing horror game, it just seems like something that can be easily be done without having to do hardcore coding.

The only reason im doing it "like it could be a game" is to give myself some kind of theme and a reason to assemble them to resemble the theme and get some experience and knowledge in doing different themes.

I do think having it in a appropriate setting with a particle effect and lighting does carry some weight at the end of the day, because its about making an entire scene instead of just one model, but I will pull out some models and do the classic wireframe/model/texture breakdown at the end, thanks for pointing it out.