[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 29th April

edited in Events
When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Wednesday 29th April

Where: Miao, at 20 JARVIS STREET, DE WATERKANT, CAPE TOWN?

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda:
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)
- Business Decisions leading up to Desktop Dungeons' relaunch - @dislekcia , 10 mins

- Focused Feedback (10 min slots) x3
- A MAZE Jame Game - @BlackShipsFilltheSky
- Open Demo Floor

This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

Indicate your attendance on the Facebook event!

Comments

• I prefer to stay away from facebook. Is it possible that I RSVP here?
  • @Nuclear_Mosquito No RSVP required, just pitch! :)
  • Earlier this month I was thinking that it might be a good idea to talk about what we were trying to do with DD's relaunch and marketing and the whole mobile push, but right now I'm so burnt out that I don't think I can manage it. Just the idea of making slides breaks me.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • @Bensonance, I'm only just getting into the local scene. So I was just wondering. Is this like a bunch of local indie devs getting together, discussing the industry, getting their games played and receiving some feedback? Like a big social to get to know other devs and all? Because I don't have a demo to show off or anything, and I don't think that I'd have anything to really contribute just yet with my fledgling attempts at beginner's coding, ha ha. So would it still be advantageous despite my current lack of meaningful contributions?
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • edited
    @LC_Lupus, Yes to all of the above. If all you do is play someone else's work-in-progress game whilst they watch, that's an invaluable contribution to them! Making contacts in the industry and maybe learning a thing or two about game development is advantageous no matter what level of skill you're currently at.
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • @ChristopherM, I may not be at this one, but I'll definitely be at the next one! Been meaning to enter into the industry for the longest time, and now I have no excuses.
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • hi everyone i'm new here and i wold like be one of you guys i have this new game i created its called the Gusheshe chronicles i would really love to be in the MGSA thank u.
    For more info Here is my email address Gastrogenetic@gmail.com
  • i need help on a game on a game came i come and expect help
  • genius47 said:
    hi everyone i'm new here and i wold like be one of you guys i have this new game i created its called the Gusheshe chronicles i would really love to be in the MGSA thank u.
    For more info Here is my email address Gastrogenetic@gmail.com
    Can you make it to one of the meetups? Why not post your game here and let people see it - that's all you need to do to be part of this community: Participate :)
    cooldudue said:
    i need help on a game on a game came i come and expect help
    Yup. Come through. I'm sure you'll get tons of help, all you have to do is ask :)
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • Venue confirmed!

Looks like it'll be a chilled, play games and talk meetup! :)
    Thanked by 1BenJets
  • Do we want talks? If we do, I can put something together.
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • I've got a game I'd like a little feedback on. It was made in an 8 hour jam at Amaze Berlin, and I think it has some problematic interpretations (it involves penises), so I'd like to get some feedback on what the game means to people.
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • I'm feeling less shattered now... Could probably do 10 minutes on the business decisions that led up to DD getting a relaunch, how we tried to do that and what (inevitably) went wrong.
  • @Elyaradine If you have one of your mini art talks up your sleeve, the Cape Townians might enjoy that? :)

@BlackShipsFilltheSky Great! Am i putting that down as There is only Penis Hell 2?

@dislekcia 10 minutes sounds great! :D
  • @Bensonance I'd like to steer away from that connotation with this one. Though it does follow the well established tradition of building games about genitalia at Amaze organized jams.
  • Oh, I was just asking. I'd prefer to get a feel for who attends these first so that I can do a talk that's more likely to have useful takeaways.

Otherwise, I have a somewhat generic talk on not starving as an artist that non-artists could probably benefit from too if they're struggling a bit financially, but I really only want to talk if there's demand/interest.
  • Is the location confirmed?
  • @BlackShipsFilltheSky: Sorry. :( I completely missed it while reading.
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • I'd like to chat on the Industry Survey and business for the Association
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • Great meetup! Though I'm a little sad there weren't more demos to play. Hopefully next month.

I mostly wanted to thank @Dislekcia for sharing his experiences with the Desktop Dungeon relaunch. I thought the talk had an exceptional amount of really valuable, and really hard to acquire, insight in it.
  • @BlackShipsFilltheSky: Thanks, I'm glad the talk was useful... I kept remembering things I should have added afterwards while talking to people at the meetup :( I felt like there weren't that many takeaways for other projects.
    Thanked by 1Bernard
  • Thanks guys for the great advice and meetup.
  • Sorry I missed this one. Jet lag got the better of me. The Games for Change Festival in New York was brilliant and I hope to share my experience at the next meetup.
  • Oh no, we thought there is still a venue problem and missed it. What is the new venue?

We would like to show you our new android google play game update on Gloobies Lab, which we launch this week some time.. we could talk about decisions we made on our journey with the game, share some of the results even if they are small at the moment. Get some feedback.