Selling your game, in-game purchases and DLC. Pro's and Cons? (Specifically STEAM Market)

Hello Everyone,

I just want to find out everyone's opinion on the pro's and cons of each route to take when selling your game on steam.
1- Selling your game for say 5$ with no DLC or in-game purchases.
2- Selling your game for say 2$ and then having a DLC which unlocks certain characters for the game
3- Selling the game for free and having in-game purchases (Is this possible and what routes can one take for the in-game purchases?)
4- Selling the game for say $5 and then offering in-game purchases.

Comments

• So this is advice is vague and probably not very helpful but...find the people that want to buy your game and ask them how they would like to buy it. I don't think there is any "one best way" to sell a game.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • And it very much largely depends on the game. There's no way Clash of Clans could have been viable as a $5 straight purchase. Nor could Call of Duty work as a free to play.

Killer Instinct is now a free to play with character unlocks. They could have easily been any regular fighter with a regular price once-off.

Who knows... Ask people who would pay for your game, yeah.
  • When you're selling a game, you're selling the particular value that that unique game has. There is no one-size-fits-all solution to selling that value, chances are that there are situations in which each of those options makes sense, so there's no way to tell you which is "better" without knowing what you're trying to sell.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • So lets say its a Co-op Arena game.
    Things that could be unlockable (via in-game purchase, dlc or even once-off price)
    -Character Classes
    -Weapons and Gear
    -Character Skins

Now the problem is that the game does not have a fan base to build upon so I feel that something like Free to play should be used to draw people in and then have DLC's which you can buy for the unlockable classes.

It could also be that the entire game could be sold for say $5 with everything unlocked but I am scared of not having the huge fan base in the beginning which might make the game die out compared to Free to play.

Also do you guys feel that co-op games are fine to have in-game purchases that can influence the game compared to PvP games where Pay to win could kill it?
  • edited
    Let's play the game first before seeing what to sell it for, yeah?

In-game purchases can work or not work. Talking about it all vaguely is silly. Dota's in-game purchase is not pay to win, it's pay to look cool. Nor is Killer Instinct. It's pay to play certain characters. Nor is LoL, it's pay to play a character. Velvet Sea is pay for different scenarios. etc etc.

One needs to look at the game before deciding or having an opinion on these things.