A: Kha'zix

So I decided to give this a bash

and for reference

http://riot-web-static.s3.amazonaws.com/images/news/September_2012/2012_09_19_Khazix_Reveal/khazix_splash.jpg

I chose kha'zix because I liked his character as well as his splash art while not really enjoying him as a lol champ
I also felt he'd be fun to pixilize and he was.

final version:

Comments

• This looks great man. The only thing I would change is defining the arm within the body (the right arm). It blends in with the body a bit. But otherwise this is really great!
  • yea I really didn't want to put a black outline, but I'm battling with that arm as you say, not sure how to do it though (I tried with shading but its not working)
  • don't go for a black outline, just try a deep purple or perhaps even a purple-ish blue.
  • yeah - outlines don't have to be black, and it'd define the shape better. It looksreally detailed and cool, but now just define the shapes better with colour... Maybe it's black outlines, maybe it's lighter more "forward" and darker further back, not sure.

And try it on a transparent background, or not black - i know eventually it might be on a dark bg but right now it distracts too much to see much of the shape.

Good stuff :D
  • ah ok yea I'll try that, originally it was on a light gray while I drew it, but felt kha'zix needed to be in a dingy environment lol, will see what I can do to try define him better.
  • ok so I played around some more and these are the results

and for a shadowy high contrast version

the circle is just there to indicate ground plane more than be an accurate shadow.
    Thanked by 1Nandrew
  • I think you went a little too dark there. Otherwise, he's got some great form! :)
  • The contrast doesn't really describe the shapes very well - for example the right (his right) blade feels all melted into its body, like Elyaradine said it's probably gone too dark - try to lift the whole of the bits in front to be lighter than all of the bits in the middle, and back, to get that feeling.

There also seem to be a few rogue pixels here and there, as if things have been resized or rotated in photoshop? Try cleaning those up :) (green pixel under the wing, dark single pixel in his feet claw, some of the claw bits, etc)
  • edited
    yea to be honest the super dark was me messing around, I'll get those rogue pixels.
    not sure how the claw got messed up, I haven't moved or resized anything to do with it
    would reduction to 16 colour do that ?

final version I guess, I cleaned up the rogue pixels and fixed the claw, changed the claw colour slightly too, seems it was getting lost in the circle shadow thing

it's less vibrant than the previous version too, not sure which is better.