My ArtStation is ready !

Comments

• That is some really awesome work Prince! Damn! You definitely need to go into Game Art with your skillset!
  • I really like your style, especially the way you do foliage in the classroom stream painting.

Have you tried to take screenshots of some of the games here and re-paint them as you'd imagine they might be able to look?
  • Thank you guys , i would really like to get in the gaming industry but yeah jobs are hard to find especially if you don't have a lot of connections, sorry i replied late i had to do some animation internship, but i have updated and leveled up!! same link *
  • edited
    Hey Prince, just had a look and it looks pretty cool!

There's a bunch of stuff there that's bashed that looks really close to the photo, to the point where I imagine the original photograph can still be recognised quite clearly. This isn't that much of a problem for a studio that keeps their concept art within the studio for sparking ideas and stuff (because it's so fast), but it can be problematic if you're posting work in public that relies quite heavily on photographs for which you don't own copyright. The bashing is especially obvious when your photographs' perspective, colour and lighting aren't manipulated to match your scene.

What sort of work are you aiming to get, which market are you targeting, and how are you planning to get their attention?
  • Hey Elyaradine,

Thanks for the heads up on some work that's there!!. What i am aiming for is a full-time position in environment concept Design (level dress up to inspire the look of a game), My marking is both AAA and indie studios, i have done work for a animation film but i just like games better., At the moment i am saving up for GDC 2016 to meet up with other artist and art studios too for getting to know how they do things(getting them to look at my work) and see how it goes from there. i still have a huge burn to learn and grow as an artist.
  • Hey man as someone who's working as a freelancer in the game industry I'd say you'd battle to get work at the moment with your skill level. There are literally hundreds of people wanting to do the same thing so the level of quality and ability is very high, even for entry and mid level work. I would strongly suggest spending a ton of time learning the basics of art and creating art before you jump onto the photobashing train. I myself spent 3years of intense training (6 to 8 hours everyday) before I started trying to freelance and after another 3 years of trying to get work and continuing with art improvement. Only now have I landed a contract at a AAA studio. Keep in mind that if you want to work in-house at a AAA studio you'd have to go work overseas. This involves the company having to secure work permits etc. for you which can be pricey and can take time. So unless you have godlike art skills they're going to go with a local person 1st as its less paperwork and cost. This is a great industry to be in but you must be prepared to work crazy hard for many years before you get decent employment and then you have to work crazy hard to keep the work.

Although going to GDC is a great experience and can help I'd rather keep the money to support yourself while you improve on the art side of things. There is tons of free or cheap tutorials that cover virtually every part of the work process, from making art to business to how studios work. Once you have a strong portfolio then you want to hit GDC.
    Thanked by 1garethf
  • edited
    Have you been teaching yourself the whole time? I ask because I'd like to know how you're evaluating whether you're good enough to compete with other environment concept artists, especially internationally, and especially if you're competing with folks graduating from, say, FZD and Art Center. I think it's important that you're getting advice and feedback from people who're actually doing the stuff that you hope to do one day, rather than from your friends or from people who're the same skill level as you or worse. I feel that if you went to GDC right now, you'd return disappointed.

Perhaps consider taking up a mentorship? Kalen Chock seems to do the kind of thing you're trying to do, and he's got a 1- or 2-month mentorship program with RobotPencil (Anthony Jones) going on. It's not cheap, but it's intensive and is likely to get you to level hard if you work your ass off with someone working with you to fix your weaknesses, and who, as someone who does that specifically for a living, has a much better idea of what direction to push you. Or, if not his one, perhaps another. GDC is less than 9 months away; assuming you can afford both that and a few courses/mentorships, it could still be possible, but then you've got a lot of work to do!
  • Thanks guys , i have been doing videos from gum-road but a mentor-ship sounds really Great , i don't mind missing a couple of GDC's just to learn and get really good, i am willing to go all the way and push my self to get better, and i have been on the level up art community for critique. At This point i wouldn't Mind taking mentor-ship and Also Master classes for skills development , If you Guys have any Recommendations of good mentors and Schools you can Email Me (bongani.mahlangu.art@gamil.com) or Leave the link in the Comment . Again thank you Guys.. :)
  • The only two that come to mind I linked in my post above. :) Maybe if you ask in Level Up they may be able to suggest others.
  • Hey guys! I have recently been assigned some concept work and my colleague sent me this article to read :
    howtonotsuckatgamedesign.com/2014/02/lets-get-real-concept-art/
    His subtle way of saying: "You suck and you are doing it wrong." :P Anyways thought it was an interesting read, hope you find it useful!
  • Cools they are great , Thanks
  • Hey Guys im working on a untitled Portfolio Personal Project(ppp) for just fun!!! i have attached the Early concept sheets for the characters il upload once a week and expand ideas... Enjoy
    Bruiet.jpg
    4333 x 2000 - 482K
    detective.jpg
    3333 x 2000 - 650K
    detective2.jpg
    3333 x 2000 - 1M
    ditective_sheet.jpg
    3333 x 2000 - 1M
    Female_lead_sheet.jpg
    3333 x 2000 - 335K
    lead_female.jpg
    3333 x 2000 - 389K
    lead_female_2.jpg
    3333 x 2000 - 341K
    Muscle_sheet_01.jpg
    3333 x 2000 - 266K
  • sorry about the High resolution i should have made them a little smaller ;)