Unity Cloud Build - Including iOS frameworks/libraries

Hi guys

You guys are probably familiar with Unity's Cloud Build service. I have been using it to build my web and android version (super easy). But I can't ignore the iOS market.

Basically I am getting an error when Cloud Build is trying to build my iOS version. I have done some research and it is caused by missing iOS frameworks. e.g. EventKit & EventKitUI.

Keep in mind I DON'T have access to a Mac and build is done via Unity Cloud Build.

Do you guys have any ideas? or something to push me in the right direction?

Ref :
Unity Cloud Build : https://build.cloud.unity3d.com
Google Mobile Ads for iOS : https://github.com/googleads/googleads-mobile-plugins/tree/master/unity

Comments

• I have no idea how you'd go about setting up the libraries that your iOS Unity build is supposed to use - the iOS build process for Unity is actually a two-step thing: You build the project in Unity and then you have to build the intermediate thing in Xcode. This is a pain in the ass and you usually have to edit a bunch of settings in Xcode so that stuff works. I'm not sure how you'd edit those settings from the Unity side of the build process, I doubt that they're even exposed then...

Is there some sort of scripting or file-inclusion interface for the second part of the build?
  • @dislekcia thanks for the reply... I just discovered this https://build.cloud.unity3d.com/support/guides/advancedfeatures

....under the Xcode Tab there is a Xcode Manipulation API link and a bitbucket project. I had a look but with no luck.

...Sometimes I wish iOS builds were as easy as Android builds.

"Is there some sort of scripting or file-inclusion interface for the second part of the build?" No... Unity Cloud Build is linked with my BitBucket account. Once I push the Master branch it will do the configured platform builds (Android, iOS and Web). I had a look through the iOS Cloud Build settings..and I have no options for iOS Frameworks/Libraries.

If you get a hint somewhere please keep me posted. I am still busy strolling the interwebs.
  • edited
    ...Sometimes I wish iOS builds were as easy as Android builds.
    Heh, you and everyone else! I have a long-standing feud with iOS stuff... If you're serious about trying to release on the platform, you're going to have to get a Mac at some point. It's not fun. (On that: I wouldn't bother with actually trying to release on iOS until people are actively throwing money at you to make that happen)
    ....under the Xcode Tab there is a Xcode Manipulation API link and a bitbucket project. I had a look but with no luck.
    That sounds kinda like what you'd need. There are a bunch of switches in Xcode that control which libraries are included. Those are what you need to poke at and I imagine that API lets you do that. It's probably pretty hard to do without a reference Xcode project that you can toggle the switches with and then compare the actual project files.
    Thanked by 1guineapixel
  • Also, when xcode builds an application for distribution, it needs to sign the application with a provisioning profile. You will have to enrol in apple's developer membership ($99 a year).

To create the provisioning profile you will need to have a certificate which gets generated from your mac. I've only done this from a mac, so I'm not sure if its even possible on windows.

The Unity cloud build setup will need both the cert and provisioning profile.
  • @petrc That's all good thanks.

I have signed up, and have the mobileprovision and p12 etc.set up in Cloud Build... the only issue is adding xCode libraries :(
  • @guineapixel I'm looking into this also. Did you find anything on the sample project? I'm trying to get my head around it right now. The documentation is pretty crap and I haven't seen any tutorials on it. Post in here if you find anything and I'll do the same.
  • @wetfrog I haven't had a chance to dig into this issue again...day job is pretty hectic at the moment...but I will definitely keep this discussion updated as soon as I get a solution.

If you get something going please let me know...coz yes, the documentation is very shitty and it feels like I lost my Google skills coz I can't find anything in the same direction.
  • @guineapixel

It's actually quite easy. You just need the DLL from the example, plus the post build script that pulls in the frameworks or bundles and config that as necessary for your app. If you need external native scripts you include that in a folder and the script will deal with those also.

I'm not using it to build for iOS because I don't have a mac, however it should work. It provides a properly signed IPA that can be uploaded to itunes connect with the right tool.
    Thanked by 1guineapixel
  • @wetfrog - sorry for the late response. Very busy this end - I will hopefully get a chance to check it out this weekend. Thanks for the info.