A: Sven

edited in Online Competitions & Jams
I had too much fun with the other entry, that I wanted to make another!
This time obeying the rules, transparent background :)
Dota 2 character Sven has an awesome design, the guys at Valve are skilled. I had fun just fooling around with Overlay layers to build up value, by painting with black and white on a clipping mask over my base layer. This one is quite messy, but a good time was had during its creation. Really loving this competition.

reference

original
edit 1

X300

Comments

• Ooh nice, looks very good. I'm not an artist though so I can't give any criticism :P
  • edited
    That's awesome dude! (I personally find terrifying, even if his 3D version looks silly, a problem your pixel art doesn't have - I mean, those colours work better in your version).

One thing, in terms of criticism. I think his horns could be a bit straighter. The horn on his left in particular has a little wonkiness in it. I always picture Sven as being defined by his head's rigid lines.

Also, and this might have been done for a reason, but you've got outlines everywhere except on his waist and on the top of his weapon.

It's super recognizable and cool though as it is.
  • @BlackShipsFilltheSky HA! Thanks for that dude, I totally forgot about the inside lines, and I agree with the horns being wonky, was one of the things I considered messy up top. Going to fix that for sure :) Thanks!
  • Yeah dude! Good work! :D I can't pick up much besides the same outline thing. Maybe give the dark dark bits a bit more depth with lighter colours in some highlights (I think they're there but they're reaaaally subtle).

The shape of the sword - it could be diamod-er, as opposed to a rounder top now. And the bottom edge seems a tad too straight. A tad.

But my golly it looks badass! Like the subtle shading on the face that has a flattened middle bit that's accentuated a tad.

And just one last thing. Croissant :P
  • edited
    Added in the straight horns, which actually helped with the reading the silhouette, thanks BlackShips!

@Tuism, Croissant! Hahahaha, funny I didn't see it until now, but now it's all I see!
    The roundness is a suck I know... was going to make more less rounded but had no more pixels to play with, so just gave it a pass, something I should maybe do on a future piece, is leave a few pixels to play with. lighted the highlights on the legs a little, and also darkened the belt area so that it didn't clash as much with the sword.
    Thanks for the Critiques that's awesome!
  • Why is there no more of this? @Pomb we want some more awesome artwork like this! Was very entertaining to check out now and then :)