URGENT- how to register your indie game studio?

Hello.
I am the founder of a new indie game development group. We have also completed a game! But now I want to take a step closer to professionalism and get us registered. So that's my question, how do I do it? NB- we are a revenue sharing group, so please bear the cost in mind!!!

Comments

• It seems that there days almost everything is (pty) ltd. I paid around R1k to get mine register, and there is a yearly fee ( a bit less than that). There are multiple sites that do it for you with minimal interaction - I'll find the one I used when I'm on a PC and it isn't 6:40am.
  • Isn't there anything thats like once off, mostly because we're just starting up.
  • You should be able to file directly through the cipc office.

http://www.cipc.co.za/index.php/register-your-business/companies/register-private-company/

Registration should cost about R175 (Company registration with name reservation)

You can go through private companies to handle the process for you, like I think roguecode did, but you will pay extra for the convenience.

• I did mine through FNB, they processed and registered my company as part of new business bank account setup. It was painless and went through quite quickly.
  • edited
    Did mine through my accountants (big mistake in terms of cost) cost R3500. for PTY LTD

The yearly fees is so CIPC keeps your company open, its like a maintenance fee.
    Then you will also have to pay accountants yearly to submit tax filings, etc.

If you just plan to free lance and go solo, and do not have any dependents then consider running in your personal name, informal.

But like LexAquillia says the only real serious option is PTY LTD, but you do need to know there are costs for registration, bank account, time it takes to manage your book keeping, paying accountant to submit tax and make sure your status as company like registering for income tax (after you have bank account) is done...etc. Ultimately, the best benefit is people take you more seriously, and if you are successful you have a vehicle to sell or manage equity.

• What do you mean by "registered"? There are a couple of legal forms your group could take, ranging from a Pty Ltd to a Joint Venture between individuals. What is most suitable will depend on what you are trying to accomplish by incorporating. So what do you hope to achieve (what outcomes do you want) by incorporating or changing your current legal structure?

Also: http://www.makegamessa.com/discussion/comment/23061/#Comment_23061

Thanked by 1clive
  • I think @LexAquillia is asking the right questions (also, he registered our company).

I think you can put off spending money on incorporating until it really benefits you (like when you start getting paid money and you need to distribute it to others). That said, I don't have any idea where you're at with your group.
  • I'm basically trying to create a digital studio, where my team and I can legally own and sell the games we create. I just want to know what the easiest and cost effective way of doing so.
  • edited
    @imransadiq1995 Easiest is getting a lawyer of other company to do it. The CIPC aren't really reliable at getting things right so in the rather likely event that things go wrong you want people who know how to fix it. These are the people I used to register, and I would highly recommend their services.

As an aside. Why did you use urgent in the title of the thread? You haven't demonstrated anything in your communication to show that the formation of your company, or attention for its formation, need to happen immediately.
  • I'd recommend hiring @LexAquillia to help. He's been a really great asset to our company (he's based in Cape Town, but travels to Joburg a lot).