[Event] Johannesburg Community Evening - 9th December 2014

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment in the thread below to let us know!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!
When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Tuesday 9th December
Where: Microsoft Campus Bryanston, 3012 William Nicol Drive, Bryanston, Johannesburg. In Auditorium 1

Content
  • Community News (5 min)
  • Ludum Dare Demo - No More Boxes - @Tuism
  • Augmented Reality in Unity3D - @electrov
  • Networking & Storage in BAD - @tbulford
  • Riot Entry WIP - @Elyaradine
  • Your Website Input - @Fengol
  • 5 minute break.
  • Focused Feedback (10 mins x 3 slots) [Games that will be shown on the big screen]
  • Open Demo Floor (Show your games in an informal manner with set up PC's/laptops).
Bring your games and set them up inside the auditorium before and after the meetup!

Beers/Drinks/Pizza afterwards at Col'Cacchio's down the road! Other nearby suggestions are welcome!

If you intend to attend, please indicate so on the FB event!
Board game prototypes can, will, and have been tested at the post-meetup beers and pizza, so bring along your prototypes!

Comments

• I won't be at this month's meetup D: . So someone else will be running it.

Expecting everyone will be showing their Ludum Dare games? :)
  • I'm still in Jhb for a couple of weeks so it would be great to see everyone again :) If there is interest, I could do a talk on Augmented Reality and how to setup a basic AR project in Unity?
  • Not exactly a game, and I've been posting wips along the way, but I can show my progress and some breakdowns of my Riot competition entry and answer any game art-related questions...?
  • OMG THE ABILITY TO USE CAMERA AND TRACK A SYMBOL IN UNITY WOULD BE LIKE MAGIC LIKE ACTUAL OMG MAGIC OMG
    Thanked by 1electrov
  • @Bensonance got ye covered ;)

Mind sending me the font you use for the slides so I can make fewer spelling errors with it :P
  • We keen to show BAD if there is still a slot open.
    Thanked by 1mattbenic
  • Fixed the Facebook link on the first post
  • Assuming its not too technical would like to go over the networking and data storage aspects of BAD specifically.<br>
    Thanked by 1electrov
  • First post updated with talks for community night.
  • I've created a very basic Android app as a demo for the AR talk I'll be doing, so if you are attending tomorrow night and have an Android phone, follow the link below on your phone to download and install it. Then you can try it out tomorrow evening :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h78jhu7b9yftirj/Mgsa.apk?dl=0

(note: you may need to go to Settings -> Security first and tick "Unknown sources", otherwise your phone won't allow you to install it)
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • Seems there's more than enough content and not much interest, so I can rather show work another time. :)
  • @Elyaradine I'm sure people are keen to hear you talk, actually. Joburg doesn't get nearly as many art talks as we'd be lucky to have :)
    Thanked by 1electrov
  • Please note we are in Auditorium 1 tonight
  • Does anyone want to show their Ludum Dare entries as an opener?
  • My LD31 game No More Boxes reporting! It's a 4 player game! :D
    Thanked by 1electrov
  • My lift to Microsoft this evening isn't staying for the MGSA community night. Is there anyone who can give me a lift home in Harveston AH (near Wilgeheuwel Hospital)
  • @Fengol: I live in Sundowner, it seems quite close so I can give you a lift if you are ok to stay till later (I was thinking of going for the drinks/pizza afterwards).
  • edited
    You can scratch BAD from the 10 min feedback list. We will just be doing the networking talk.
  • @electrov, if you don't mind that would be great thanks!
  • Thank you to everyone who came last night and especially a big thank you to the presenters
  • edited
    Thank you guys for a great meetup, we basically had the most representational meetup ever, satisfying all kinds of minds, we had:

@electrov showing us augmented reality magic with FREE SOFTWARE for UNITY OMG *EXPLODES* <-- cool for me
    @tbulford showing us amazing networking code stuff (I didn't explode but I might if I understood it)
    @elyaradine showing us super cool UVs and his overachieving plans to clone LOL as presentation to enter the LOL art competition *EXPLODES*

So we had talks for experimentors, code jockeys, AND artists :D

AND not one but THREE game demos! (My No More Boxes in FOUR PLAYERS OMG SO OPPORTUNITY, two student games - one boardgame and one pretty experimental pretty game :)

Was great! Happy Holidays everyone!
  • Yeah this was really one of the best meetups to date, I felt :) Thanks to all the speakers and those showing games.
    One feeling I did get was that the focused feedback sessions need to be more focused. Can we require those who submit their games for feedback slots on event threads to also list what they're looking for feedback on, and any limitations on feedback (like whether gameplay could be changed in the case of Cows vs Farmers).
  • Yeah, honestly sorry for not having any real focus in showing my game, I really just wanted to get people to play it so I can capture 4 player gameplay footage :P So in terms of *that* focus, I got what I want XD

Though I got *some* really good ideas, I do apologise for being unfocussed.

Damn it was fun though :P
  • I had lots of fun! Was supposed to leave an hour or so before I did because of a family thing. Oops.

--
    Also:
    https://developer.vuforia.com/

:)
    Thanked by 1Fengol
  • I've created a new post for AR so we can discuss it further there... can't wait to see what crazy stuff comes out of this :)
  • Sounds awesome, well done on everyone contributing to a better event. :D
  • Last night... Some of the guys were curious about my attempted implementation of Voxel space and Marching Cubes.
    The first thing most people think of when they hear "voxel" is minecraft...
    this implementation is different...
    VERY different and Miguel Cepero shows us how, in the most beautiful blog I've ever seen...
    ProceduralWorld

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-P4rpQ1Vg42k/TvyakhMYSwI/AAAAAAAAAvk/BoLKMd1wmSA/s1600/Compression5.jpg

Honestly his work is one of the best implementations I've ever seen... Bleeding edge stuff.
    Read through his posts to get a good idea about procedural content generation...