Minimum requirements to get on Steam

edited in Questions and Answers
With games like The Slaughtering Grounds, Air Control and Earth: Year 2066 getting onto steam and charging money, it must be possible to by-pass Greenlight and get directly onto the store; but how?

And what is the minimum you have to create to get a game on the store? Can I publish an empty Unity3D screen?

I'd like to experiment to find out how far I can go

Comments

• I have no idea what that game is, but...

Games are probably going up via publisher Steam slots. Basically, publishers and people with regular relationships with Steam will be given a number of app IDs that they can use to release things with. What you assign to an ID is up to you - but I assume that really bad games that get put up on Steam by publishers will end up coming back to bite those companies in the end. People might even "sell" their "spare" slots, much like how XBLA slots kept being sold by these weird third-string publishers and filling up with terrible games.

I'm not convinced that this is actually a useful thing for a game to do - Greenlight is a great way to build awareness if you're smart about it. Simply being on Steam isn't a guarantee of income anymore.