[Event] Johannesburg Community Evening - 11th November 2014

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment in the thread below to let us know!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Tuesday 11th November

Where: Microsoft Campus Bryanston, 3012 William Nicol Drive, Bryanston, Johannesburg. In Auditorium 2

Content
- Introductions
- Community News (5 min)
- Working in the UK games industry - @electrov ~ 30 mins
- 7 Day FPS Works in progress - @everybody ~ 20 mins

- Your presentation/talk/game here

- 5 minute break.

- Focused Feedback (10 mins x 3 slots) [Games that will be shown on the big screen]
- Krigsskip - @Tuism
- Make This - @Tuism
- Puzzle game - @stellarra

- Open Demo Floor (Show your games in an informal manner with set up PC's/laptops).

Bring your games and set them up inside the auditorium before and after the meetup!

Beers/Drinks/Pizza afterwards at Col'Cacchio's down the road! Other nearby suggestions are welcome!

If you intend to attend, please indicate so on the FB event!

Board game prototypes can, will, and have been tested at the post-meetup beers and pizza, so bring along your prototypes!

If you get lost or don't know where in the Microsoft campus we are, call me on 083 397 8725

Comments

• Busy working hard to get my playable version ready lol few days to go, hope I have something worth trying out by then no pressure right. xD
  • edited
    Heyyyy :D I wanna show two of my games for the 30 games in 30 days challenge, I think they've potential and just want some focused feedback and see how people engage :)

Tentitively re-titled: Krigsskib

and Make This
  • Hi I am new to game development.... would I have to produce a game in order to attend?
  • Nope! It's open to everyone who's interested in game development. :)
  • Hi!

My name is Etienne, I've just returned to SA after having lived in the UK for 8 years. I used to work at I-Imagine with Matt Benic, Luke Lamothe, etc. and then went to go work in the UK games industry.

This would be my first time at one of these events but I thought I could give a talk on what it was like to move to the UK and work there, if anyone is interested?

I look forward to getting involved in the SA games community and meeting loads of you!

See you Tuesday :)
  • electrov said:
    This would be my first time at one of these events but I thought I could give a talk on what it was like to move to the UK and work there, if anyone is interested?
    Yes please!!!

Thanked by 1Tuism
  • @AngryMoose : ok cool :) Look forward to seeing you again after all these years!
    Thanked by 1AngryMoose
  • electrov said:
    @AngryMoose : ok cool :) Look forward to seeing you again after all these years!
    That would be a great talk, please do!
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • @Crash Okay cool, will you let us know if it'll be ready?

@Tuism Cool, I put you down :).

@electrov That would be awesome! :D
  • Seeing as we're light on content, and so many jams are happenning shall we do something like a pitching session/ small playtesting session for the 7DFPS/everything else? Just pitch the idea you're working on and show how it's going?
  • I'm working on a 7DFPS with @Loet, if we get something playable by Tuesday we'll come give it a show :)
  • I am interested in attending.
    The Microsoft Campus Bryanston is quite large.... how do I find the room?
  • edited
    Walk in the front entrance, hang a right, skip down the corridor, and it's generally in the last conference room to your right.

Or you can call the mobile number in the OP, and be guided by Ben's dulcet GPS tones. Skipping is still mandatory.
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • @Philippe123 Yup, @Gazza_N's directions are pretty good. We're usually in Auditorium 2 :)
    Thanked by 1Fengol
  • @Bensonance I won't be able to make it, having trouble with my rigging can't get it to work the way I want, so I need more time to sort it out. I'm revealing something really interesting so I want it to go smooth as possible so I will probably make only the next meeting.
  • I just wanted to know, should I have gameplay ready or can I show off a small real time, footage of my game with some animation? and present ideas of my work that I am planning to make for my game?
  • Hey Guys, We have been coming to the meeting for a while and finally got the courage to try show one of our games, Its a puzzle game called marble drop (currently). Would it be possible to do so, also what info would you require in order to add this game to your schedule?
  • edited
    @Crash The basic goal of the focused feedback slot is to have a particular element of the game you want feedback on. You might receive general feedback, but it's more effective when you have something specific you want feedback on. If you feel you've got something you want feedback on, though - we're more than happy to give you a slot :).

@stellarra I explained the idea of the focused feedback slots above, but basically, people respond best to having gameplay to comment on. Either way, the basic requirement is just to have something you want feedback on and we're happy to give you a slot :).

Cape Town's @TheFuntastic put across a neat collection of thoughts on how to use the focused feedback slots:

"Maximise the quality of the feedback by making sure you have a focused line of inquiry.

It's natural to feel proud of your creation and to want to show it off in front of captive audience - we're all prone to that, myself included. The following is inefficient use of the platform and everyones attention:
    "I made a game, whatcha think?"
    Rather strive for something like this:
    "I made a game. I'm running into design/sound/art/performance problem x. I've tried to solve it in these ways, but no dice. Suggestions?"
    Even if you're espousing the mantra of show early and often, this could be phrased as:
    "I made a prototype, this is what playtesters find interesting about it, how can I maximise that?"

This not only means you'll get the most of out of the expert advice on offer in the room, but also provides the exposure of thinking like a game maker for those less experienced audience members. Win for everybody!"

Having said that, while his advice is sound, if you're new or inexperienced to game making, it's difficult to know what you need feedback on, so rather just show something than not :).
    Thanked by 1Chippit
  • @Bensonance Ok thanks, yeah then I won't be able to make it, let me best prepare for the next meeting. but I hope it goes well with everyone.
  • @Crash: You should probably come to the meetup anyway to see how things work, chat with people, learn stuff...? :)
  • @Elyaradine Ok yeah it makes sense. @Bensonance I will attend the meeting tomorrow :)
  • @Bensonance: can I just bring my presentation on a USB drive? Unfortunately my laptop charger died, so if there is one I can just use there tonight that would be great :)
  • @Benosance We are indeed proud of our game thanks more to the fact of how far we have gotten than anything else. The feedback we are looking for is if this game, as a puzzle game, holds water. Also we would like to see if we could get some feedback on design and audio elements and maybe some help in those fields if anyone is willing and able to be part of this project.
  • @electrov Sure! Be warned, though - my laptop is notoriously potato-like, so hopefully you don't need anything too strenuous (if you do, we usually have plenty spare laptops, so it should be fine ).
  • @stellarra Cool, more than happy to give you a slot :).
  • @Bensonance OK thanks! Hopefully a few powerpoint slides isn't pushing it too far :)
  • Thanks for last night, the demos were really good and it was great meeting so many of you! I'll be moving down to George soon so unfortunately will probably not be at the next meetup in Jhb, but we'll stay in touch on the forums :)
  • Thanks very much everyone for a cool meetup last night! The applause for Opera Sentai was amazing, even if it was more or less a joke of a joke :P

Opera Sentai, Krigsskibe and Make This will appear on the forums soon for your playing/tinkering pleasure as soon as I've time to get them to be ready :)

@electrov good luck with your adventures in George! Nice to meet ya and thanks for all the fish!
    Thanked by 1mattbenic