R̶e̶f̶r̶a̶c̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ Development has now stopped completely, And it has been scrapped...

edited in General
Hi, My name is St1nG

A few days ago I had an idea to make a game...

Right now development is undergo :)

Anyway, this is what the game will be roughly about:

You are a trained hitman, and there will be 10 hits you have to do. Each hit will be around 10ish levels (Note the story will change).
The main look of the game is to look clean and simple. The models will all be kind of low poly, with the textures being single colour.
All enemies will be fractured in around several different places, which lets you have a unique kill each time.

Basically, if you shoot a guy in the face his face explodes into a lot of different sized particles, the same with the ankle, knee and wrist.

We are making a demo, with around 7 levels...

Right now the planned features (roadmap) are:
-Fully fracturable enemies
-A unique story
-A cover system
-Tackling enemies
-Diving and rolling
-Wall Running
-Different kills for each hit target
-Enemies that disintegrate into pixels after 10 seconds of being fractured
-Mess around levels
-Fractured cover
-Enemy Variation
-Being published by devolver digital
-Magazines that fall on the floor, and that can be crushed
-Skill System
-Free DLC Levels
-Replay Mode
-Final Enemy dies in slowmo
-More things...

And the features for the demo
-Fractured enemies (wont be as polished as final release)
-Cover system
-SlowMo
-One Hit

Currently this is being made by me (https://twitter.com/OverlordSt1nG) , Murderz (https://twitter.com/MurderzMedia) and MoodyCake (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198091419195/)

I am 14, MoodyCake is 13 and Murderz is 16

Anyway thanks for reading, I will try to reply to all comments asap!

Many Thanks,
St1nG

Comments

• Like I told St1nG, an FPS is far too big a project for a beginner and I highly recommend you try something smaller to start off with. You'll learn far more, have more fun, and stand a bigger chance of actually completing a project. Unity just had a ton of awesome 2D features added, why not make a 2D game?

In any case, pretty cool that you're taking steps to making games, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
  • I agree with what @raithza said - there's so much fun in 2D games, 3D is unnecessarily hard for a starting project.

So... if I look correctly, you have relatively little mention of how the game mechanics will work, and a lot of emphasis on the art style. Maybe flesh the mechanics out with a 2D prototype? If they're good, you can always consider "upgrading" to 3D.
    St1nG said:

-Being published by devolver digital
    Really? That's pretty cool. How did you manage to work that out, especially without a prototype?

• @francoisvn I think that its part of the plan not a already arranged deal.

I don't really think you need to make a 2d game. I think we should instead talk about a simple game instead of assuming 2d games are automatically simpler than 3d. Think with primitives ;)

I myself have found that its incredibly difficult to release even the smallest simplest game. Once you have actually released something commercial then you can do whatever you want cause you know the risks involved and the approximate dev time etc

So I would suggest that you put this project on the back burner and take 4-5 months to level up first. then come back to this.

Nice work on starting so young. Speaking from experience the great thing about starting early is that the burn rate is so low. in my case $0 expenses.

Have a nice day.
    Kobus
  • edited
    Looks like you've got some 3D skills :)

My advice about this project would be to try make a really small part of the game first, and then show it to people (like on these forums) to get some feedback (and then learn from that feedback, and get encouragement).

The fracturing part of the project sounds like a really cool feature...

So maybe just try fracture a cylinder by shooting at it and make that feel cool. If you can get that feeling cool, try fracture two cylinders stuck together in an arm shape... and then try fracture a 3D model of a human... then fracture a human model that's been animated...

And progress like that.

Each step might be harder than you expect, but you'll learn a lot with each problem you overcome.

And GOOD LUCK! It's really exciting that you're all so young and pumped for game development!
  • Looks like you've got some 3D skills :)

My advice about this project would be to try make a really small part of the game first, and then show it to people (like on these forums) to get some feedback (and then learn from that feedback, and get encouragement).

The fracturing part of the project sounds like a really cool feature...

So maybe just try fracture a cylinder by shooting at it and make that feel cool. If you can get that feeling cool, try fracture two cylinders stuck together in an arm shape... and then try fracture a 3D model of a human... then fracture a human model that's been animated...

And progress like that.

Each step might be harder than you expect, but you'll learn a lot with each problem you overcome.

And GOOD LUCK! It's really exciting that you're all so young and pumped for game development!
    This. Small steps are important, and making sure that each system works well before integrating them is likely to yield better results than trying to manage design and core system convergence simultaneously.

Extra Credits, as always, covers the idea of iterative design and production really well (their videos come highly recommended, for new devs as well as veterans). Good luck! :)

Thanked by 2wogan Kobusvdwalt9
  • edited
    Thanks for all your comments guys!
    Ofcourse we just started, I have had quite abit of experience with unity but yes it will be hard at the start and the project will change overtime and might end up something we never planned it to be like. Everyone has to start somewhere.
    Just so you know our roles are :
    St1nG - Level Design.
    MoodyCake - Scripter
    Murderz - Modeller/Scripter
    :)
  • edited
    UPDATE!
    First human enemy model is done! (Don't forget we want this game to look simplistic so there are no facial features)
    http://prntscr.com/50ixyg
    http://prntscr.com/50iy5w
  • Looking forward to seeing gameplay prototypes :)

Like everyone else said here, build systems you can test - that's the most important thing. Then test them (show them to people) to get feedback. Loop that quickly. Go! :)
  • Tuism said:
    Looking forward to seeing gameplay prototypes :)

Like everyone else said here, build systems you can test - that's the most important thing. Then test them (show them to people) to get feedback. Loop that quickly. Go! :)
    Will do mate!
  • Some very experienced people have given you some good advice here, and though I admire your determination, I don't think you fully appreciate the knowledge imparted. You have set some pretty steep milestones for yourself, that in itself is not a problem, but you do need to be in touch with what you are capable of. If you feel you can make it a reality then great, more power to you. But be careful of being bogged down by lofty ideas. Burnout does happen.

You seem to have a very clear vision of what you want your game to look like. But I dare say that other design aspects of your project seem to be out of focus. You seem to be describing a tech demo in your first post, not a game. All of your planned features are cool, although put together you are left with a framework that could take months to develop, and building a game on top of that could take many more months. Hope you are in for the long haul.

If you are still determined after all of that, Awesome. Perhaps a little bit foolish but still awesome. I routinely tackle ambitious and complex projects in my own time, I find them great learning platforms. Much more so than small one mechanic games. But the trade off is that I seldom finish those projects.

Perhaps think to yourself what your goal is.
    is it to finish a game? maybe start with a smaller game then.
    is it to make your dream game? maybe leave that till later after you have a few games behind your name.
    is it to learn? I personally think this would be a great project to learn with, though many community members will argue strongly for the "fail fast" ideology.
    is it for fun? awesome have at it :)

Anyway, good luck! It's great to see you taking this so seriously when still so young.
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • Some very experienced people have given you some good advice here, and though I admire your determination, I don't think you fully appreciate the knowledge imparted. You have set some pretty steep milestones for yourself, that in itself is not a problem, but you do need to be in touch with what you are capable of. If you feel you can make it a reality then great, more power to you. But be careful of being bogged down by lofty ideas. Burnout does happen.

You seem to have a very clear vision of what you want your game to look like. But I dare say that other design aspects of your project seem to be out of focus. You seem to be describing a tech demo in your first post, not a game. All of your planned features are cool, although put together you are left with a framework that could take months to develop, and building a game on top of that could take many more months. Hope you are in for the long haul.

If you are still determined after all of that, Awesome. Perhaps a little bit foolish but still awesome. I routinely tackle ambitious and complex projects in my own time, I find them great learning platforms. Much more so than small one mechanic games. But the trade off is that I seldom finish those projects.

is it to make your dream game? maybe leave that till later after you have a few games behind your name.
    is it to learn? I personally think this would be a great project to learn with, though many community members will argue strongly for the "fail fast" ideology.

Anyway, good luck! It's great to see you taking this so seriously when still so young.
    Thanks for your support, We are mainly doing this for fun. The other 2 guys have school and I have college so we don't exactly a lot of time on our hands to spare, We also want to learn, I have had a dab at unity for a while I have been making my own game (solo) and its been pretty successful I only work on it an hour a week, But if we start taking this game seriously I will put my own project on hold and start working on this project full time. I am pretty good at modelling and know very basic JavaScript so we do need to learn (preferably C#) This game is not going to have 3*A graphics but with the art style we are choosing it will look great with the models that we are using. I know it is abit far fetched but the game will adapt to what we can realistic-ly do.
  • Well, Now we are going to get cracking (pun intended) on the fractured objects, porting them into unity and getting the slowmo done :P

We are planning to get the demo done by christmas... And the demo is only a fraction of what will appear in the finished release!
    Aswell as it not being as well polished as the final release! Thanks for the help anyways! And our basis of the game is to make is violent, destructible, clean and smooth!
  • edited
    UPDATE!

A few things happened today...

One of my friends is doing a cutscenish thing for us, to see if he can be our artist...

We also scrapped having thirdperson in our game...

And we made some models

We have done a sofa and table, fractured that...

Then murderz was lovely enough to do the human model...

I fractured that (http://prntscr.com/50ok9s)

and now I will try improve fracturing, and murderz is doing more models!

Thanks for reading!
  • The demo should be released before Christmas, and will eventually end up being the demo of the full release!

Right now, we are going to get into scripting!
  • edited
    UPDATE!

So, today we have fractured all of the models made.

Murderz also made a bookcase...

We also got a new member of the team F01405/Frantos (http://steamcommunity.com/id/F01405/)

We found a cool composer, And are trying to contact him for music liscensing...

F01405 has two years of programming knowledge...

He also completed our slowmotion mechanic!

Basically, you don't regenerate slowmotion, you have to find a pickup to restore it...

The slowmotion right now only lasts for 7 seconds... (With full release, it will be upgradeable)

Also, you cant just slowmo then slowmo off... there is a 2 second timer when you start slowmo, that counts when you can unslowmo the game (Just so that people dont exploit/overuse it...)

Slowmo is set to Z and there will be rebindable keys so dont worry!

Anyway, as always thanks for reading!

St1nG
  • Interesting project.

I would take the communities advise into consideration.

Initially they warned me about a game i was making. They told me... pull the plug. I resisted. I wasted another entire month fighting against myself to prove them... mostly myself wrong.

Once i finally managed to get the courage to actually pull the plug i decided on a smaller project which i then actually manage to complete and is currently in review with apple. I also retreated with my tail between my legs and didn't visit here in a very long time as i was ashamed at failing.

The moral of my story is... their advise is pretty good.

I am aware though your situation is different and no one is saying pull the plug. Just measure the goal according to the timeframe.
    Luckily you have a team... so this helps.

All i can say is... i like the concept... and good luck.

• edited
    @Crocopede, don't ever think of it as failing. You're learning, as are all of us. If you know how many projects I have here that are "unfinished" you'll be shocked (do you want a list?) I am still here, engaging with the community. What you didn't finish isn't a stain against your name, it's a step towards learning. The next thing you make will incorporate learnings. If you don't ever make something else you've never learned something new.

Calling it pulling the plug is perhaps excessive. You're shelving it. Maybe you'll get better at game dev/design one day to go back and finish it. Maybe you won't. Noone knows. You're just going to try something else smaller, ain't nothing wrong with that.
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • What is the purpose of your slow motion? Right now it sounds like a cool gimmick, but I don't see the place it is supposed to slot into. Maybe so that you can watch in wonder when things shatter into pieces? Perhaps it could have a use to emphasize when something dies, a la killing floor? Just curious what your plan is with it.
  • How are you fracturing the models?
  • What is the purpose of your slow motion? Right now it sounds like a cool gimmick, but I don't see the place it is supposed to slot into. Maybe so that you can watch in wonder when things shatter into pieces? Perhaps it could have a use to emphasize when something dies, a la killing floor? Just curious what your plan is with it.
    The main purpose of slow motion is going to be to dodge bullets and shoot enemies before they have a chance to react.

• petrc said:
    How are you fracturing the models?
    We are using blender to make models, and to fracture them :p
  • Ok, but does that not take a long time? And then how will you instantiate the fractured model in unity? it will take quite a bit of coding, and a lot of testing.

I had a look on the unity asset store and came across this plugin.:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/9771

Check out the demos, this might save you a lot of time and make your jobs easier.
  • Update!

St1nG - Level Design.
    MoodyCake - Lead Artist
    Frantos - Scripter
  • MoodyCake said:
    Update!

St1nG - Level Design.
    MoodyCake - Lead Artist
    Frantos - Scripter

Update!

St1nG - Lead, Writer, Fracturer, Level design
    Moodycake - Artist
    Murderz - Modeller,Scripter, Lead
    Frantos - Scripter, Awesome
  • petrc said:
    Ok, but does that not take a long time? And then how will you instantiate the fractured model in unity? it will take quite a bit of coding, and a lot of testing.

I had a look on the unity asset store and came across this plugin.:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/9771

Check out the demos, this might save you a lot of time and make your jobs easier.

Hmmm, It doesnt take too long... You just need a pretty good pc... It also depends on the size of the model/ how many models there are!
  • UPDATE!

Well, today was a succesful day...

Fracturing is done, and we can now export into unity

Boombox, shotgun, cassette and CV camera model done

We have permission to use OccamLasers music! http://occamslaser.bandcamp.com/

We have done a basic level design...

And that wraps it up for today!

Thanks,
    St1nG
  • I love Occam Laser!
  • Get to gameplay! :)
  • UPDATE!
    Shotgun is ready! Finished modelling about a day ago, Just been making sure its good since then!
    http://prntscr.com/51lxnt
  • Tuism said:
    Get to gameplay! :)

We are! Just need to iron out some kinks with the slowmo, and make the fracturing models a bit better!
  • UPDATE!

So today, I did the level design for 3 levels, more still to come...

this is the rough version of the first level: http://prntscr.com/51p1nn

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand more models have been done :p

But thats it for today, not as much stuff as last updates, but still some progress done

ST1NG AWAY!!!!!!!!

• UPDATE!

St1nG's internet won't work, so I'll post today's update.

So, Today I made the fractured models actually fracture properly, and I also made them dissapear after 10 seconds

Shooting is also complete!

anyway, thats it for today, Tomorrow the tweaks for slowmo!
  • UPDATE!

My internet fixed, But we have a playable thingy here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kj92zb1ciiuwopy/ReFracture v 0.02.zip?dl=0

Please don't like spread the word as of yet, we dont want it to be very public!

Anyway, Thanks!
  • UPDATE!

Well, the prototype got the enemy added, also fractured objects now explode into pixels after a while! (performance improvements)

and more levels have been designed!

and that wraps up today!
  • Fracturing looks promising but please finish a level where you don't fall through the floor!
  • Fracturing looks promising but please finish a level where you don't fall through the floor!
    Yes, that level is only a testing level, it won't be used. We will add some proper levels in the next update.
  • What could you fracture? I couldn't find anything to fracture.
  • SUGBOERIE said:
    What could you fracture? I couldn't find anything to fracture.
    There is 10 bookcases at the place where you spawn which you can fracture with the shotgun.

• UPDATE!

Not much going on...

Just been fixing stuff and adding basic ai...

Also, we dont want to keep spamming this post...

So you might not hear an update for a bit!

Thanks for the support!
  • Hey guys!

Quite a bit has happened, we implemented kicking, and are working on making the fracturing a lot cooler!

We also took a small break, and did a bit on a game dubbed: Delve

Its a 2d platformer, basically spelunky and binding of isaac mixed, with 4 player local co-op!

Anyway, we are going to work on delve once we have done the demo for refracture!

Over and out,
    St1nG
  • Nothing much has been done in the past few weeks...

Murderz started on the main level...

Frantos is nowhere to be seen for a week now...

But we will go on steadily, and try to get it out by feb

Thanks!
  • Hey everyone!

Frantos has been away for like 2 or 3 weeks ;_;

Murderz is wrapping up the level!

Thats all!
  • I love the look of the bookcases exploding. One small comment is that the sensitivity in the demo up above is WAY too high IMO.
  • Hi guys, Murderz recently bought a cryengine subscription, and so far it seems to be easier/better for us to use than unity! So expect to see good graphics when you play \o/
  • roguecode said:
    I love the look of the bookcases exploding. One small comment is that the sensitivity in the demo up above is WAY too high IMO.
    Not even close to the demo man, it was just a test to see if our shooting and fracturing works!

• edited
    Been 2 months since the last update :O

I really didnt realise that, But anyway lets cut to the facts.

We are sticking with unity the whole way through, not cryengine anymore. Our coder is working on the AI, heres the rundown: There are 4 AI states, Idle (Smoke, sit on couch), Patrol, Search, And attack. They are less aware when they are idle so they are easier to kill. If on patrol, they are more aware (Hear quieter sounds, etc.) If in search mode they are really aware. And in attack, well they attack... There will be a cctv monitor guy thingy (name wip), and he will look through the cameras, and if he sees you he sets off an alarm and the other AI will enter search mode, and go to the area you were spotted in. And thats the just of it!

"Once pathfinding is done with the ai, the rest will be fun!" - Frantos, Lead programmer

We have our own website!

The website is nowhere near public viewing, so I will post as soon as its functional, etc.

After the AI and more features are done, I will compile a devlog and post it on the site!

Also thanks for the 900-something views! It means a lot to us!

Over and out, St1nG