[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 24th September 2014

edited in Events
When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Wednesday 24th September

Where: City Varsity new campus, 18 Roeland Street, Cape Town.
"For folks struggling to find City Varsity on Google Maps, it's near the bottom of Roeland Street close to parliament and in the building that used to house Charly's Bakery.

Charly's is still visible on Street View next to the panel shop if you type in 8 Roeland Street (the nearest approximation) and go down to Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/KvUhR "

Take note, there will be no free, provided food at this venue!

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda:
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)
- Vietnam '65 - 20 mins - @JohanNagel
- Gamergate Open Floor discussion - ~30 mins Chaired by @dammit

- Focused Feedback (10 min slots) x3

- Open Demo Floor

This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

Indicate your attendance on the Facebook event !

Comments

• Aww yiss, my directions have become canon :B

For anyone wondering about food we tend to go have a bite to eat after the meetup, at Perseverance Tavern nearby. Good beer selection.
  • I would like to propose a open floor discussion of the gamergate saga this month in place of our talks. Would anyone be interested in this?
  • @Dammit I think it's a great idea, but I don't think it should be the entire meetup :P. Maybe like 30-45 minutes? :)
  • edited
    No, that's true, but after a long discussion, I don't think people would want to also have talks. (Also, I'm imagining that because this could be a heated discussion, it could take longer than expected. )

I'm putting this forward instead of talks, but not instead of Focused Feedback slots or games stuff.
  • On a side note, could someone make a poster for me to give the third year design students at R&Y and invite them to the meetup? Muchos appreciteous.
  • Just putting this out there: @Thefuntastic, @Nandrew and @raithza all gave exceptionally good talks at Amaze. I'm sure those weren't at Amaze would love to hear some of those.
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • edited
    I always like at least to learn one thing new at a meetup and then also socialize about what is learnt or discussed.

Really miss the meetups, but it is a bit far now since its moved.
    Would you be open to us running a 2nd chapter in stellenbosch / somerset west area, I see there are some more indie starts in this area. We can always share material at 2 venues the same dates?
    I can arrange with the GrowthSpace owner in somerset west where our Gamelancer offices are.
  • Personally I prefer @Squidcor's idea instead of a discussion on GamerGate. I think GamerGate is a very important topic of discussion, but I'd prefer to discuss it with a smaller number of people after the meetup.

@Boysano: I don't think trying to split the meetup is a good idea, getting more people to the CT meetups is much better IMHO. However, we can offer a regular lift from Stellenbosch to the meetups if that would help you. Also, maybe a regular drinks evening about halfway between the CT meetups in Stellenbosch or Somerset West (or somewhere between) would be really cool.
  • @francoisvn good points all round, I can also offer 2 seats in my car on the way there...and the drinks on a fortnight between meetups sounds great to actually get to know each other on a personal level, I would also like to do a tour around cape town area and actually visit all the studios one day, or one at a time.
    Thanked by 1Mexicanopiumdog
  • @Boysano: Sounds good. Maybe find me at the meetup and we can discuss plans for the Stellies/SW drinks? Going out for a drink (doesn't have to be alcoholic) or some food after the meetup is also a really good way to meet some of the local devs.
    Thanked by 1Boysano
  • My A MAZE talk was actually a sophistication of the narrative spiel I gave Cape Town at end of last year. I think it's better, but some members could find it repetitive and we'll have some of the AMAZE crew hearing about that area for the third time.
  • Everyone is aware that Wednesday is a public holiday, right?
  • edited
    An entire session dedicated to GamersGate sounds like zero fun to me. It's an incendiary topic that has high potential to devolve into an unproductive argument. Also it's been covered to death in games media. @dammit, how about a talk "What we can learn from Gamer's Gate". That sounds more focused and productive.

Also I'd prefer to not to give my talk this time around, if only because my energy and enthusiasm needs some time to recover ;)
  • @MNRosa Heritage - Shmeritage Day?
  • No rest for the wicked @Mexicanopiumdog?
  • The holiday actually makes it easier to do a meetup
  • edited
    While I'm pretty keen about making it to all the meetups, I may well be over the legal alcohol limit on that day ...
  • I am so bringing my game Deet :D so excited
    Thanked by 1Merrik
  • @Aequitas, I've heard Uber has become quite easy in Cape Town :)
  • edited
    Aequitas said:
    While I'm pretty keen about making it to all the meetups, I may well be over the legal alcohol limit on that day ...
    Make sure you are not drunk :P

• @Riocide I am not paying for uber from and to tableview.

@moodyCake not drunk, just allowed to drive myself.
  • I'll probably bring along Child Ball and BlackShips' jam game There is No Heaven, Only Penis Hell
  • Aequitas said:
    @Riocide I am not paying for uber from and to tableview.

@moodyCake not drunk, just allowed to drive myself.
    ok :)
  • Could I possibly have a 15min slot , want to show Vietnam'65 and recruit programmers to do port to PC platform.
    Just happen to be in CPT, so would really appreciate the opportunity!
  • Would someone be kind enough to bring a spare xbox controller? I desperately want to play test Grabbaz, the game we jammed at amaze but it needs two controllers >.< also keen to potentially get some feedback on another game, but might just solicit ppl after the meet up since that one is *quite* early on in dev
  • If anyone want a lift from Somerset West / Stellenbosch area, give me an email or call.
    morne@gamelancer.net
    Leaving at 5pm ish.
    I have 2-3 spots in my car.
  • Will be there tonight :) looking forward to hearing how Amaze went and seeing everyone..... been to long!
  • @raxter I could bring some ps3 remotes we could emulate as xbox remotes?
  • Ermkay, so unless anyone comes up with any content, there will be a Gamergate discussion this evening.
  • Maybe we can watch a video about a hot games dev presentation online?
  • That'd work nicely if everyone is keen. Someone who went to GDC could use their Vault Pass and show one of the talks from GDC. @Dislekcia Nay or yay?
  • edited
    aaah, I've gotta bail this evening. Soz @creative630 since you are organising the controls and @Grey since I said I'd meet you this time around! I'll make it up to you all (probably with beer)

I do want to do a talk for next time about tweening in Unity using HOTween (slightly programmer centric but I'll add kittens like I did last time), ought to be interesting in general because tweening is the shizz!

[edit] I'll miss you all </3 , anyone want to organise CT MGSA drinks in a week or two somewhere?
  • Ermkay, so unless anyone comes up with any content, there will be a Gamergate discussion this evening.
    Need a bit more warning than that :P But myself and @dislekcia would like to host a optional discussion next month.

• Thanks was good fun and interesting conversation afterwards!! And ty for the feedback on coprace2d
    Thanked by 1Mexicanopiumdog