Learning C# by Developing Games with Unity 3D Beginner's Guide

edited in Questions and Answers
Hey guys. Has anybody tried this book. Learning C# by Developing Games with Unity 3D Beginner's Guide. Just curious if it is worth the read.

Comments

• Looks around for @SkinnyBoy

I have no idea. What's your goal and where are you starting from?
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • Hi. I read that and it was pretty useful when I started out. Although all of the information in the book can be found for free online, so you don't need to spend money. Also, it was written in Unity 3, so a lot of the content is outdated and made easier in newer versions of Unity. There are also several script in the examples that are incorrect (errors when compiling), but that is actually quite nice as you learn to trouble shoot problems yourself. I will actually recommend : Learning Unity 2D: Game development by example by Venita Pereira from Pact publishing. It was featured in this month's NAG magazine. The author is South African, and takes you through an entire game in the book. You can get the ebook on Kalahari, or order at a book store (ISBN: 9781783559053). I know you have said in a previous post that you don't have a very reliable internet line, so the hard cover book might be ideal to start with. Also, some scripting experience will be helpful as these books usually only cover the basics in 1 chapter. Hope the info helps.
  • Hi
    I've been following Brackeys' tutorials on youtube. I really like his tutorials. If you have a chance go check out his website: www.brackeys.com

Good luck and I also think that Unity is a brilliant engine :)

• Thanks. I will check out that 2D book. Much appreciated. I have no experience with C# and wouldn't admit to having experience in any other language. The reason I was asking about this book in particular was because I found it on my old pc I haven't turned on in years. Would be fine with learning from any source, I would just prefer having it directed more at game dev just to keep things in context.