Got Netrunner at rAge...

edited in Questions and Answers
...and been learning it, it's SO GOOD.

The mechanics and intrigue between the two sides are just so brilliant! And I haven't even gotten into deck building yet.

Anyone else play netrunner? Android, the new one from Fantasy Flight, it's a LCG so meaning that it doesn't rely on boosters but instead come in base sets, which is awesome, to me.

Comments

• As far as card/board games go it is currently top on my to get list.
  • Cool, more people to play against/with the better :)

I haven't been around in the original Netrunner days so playing a few rounds of it over the weekend really opened up my eyes to how asymmetrical balance can be struck in such a diverse environment. And also how different card games can be from Mtg :P (I know it was also designed by Richard Garfield, so much more kudos to the man).

Other than a suspiciously cheesy death (scorched earth, if that means anything to anyone), it was always a razor's edge balance. Maddeningly incredible.
  • My copy of Android:Netrunner finally arrived on Friday. I've played about 16 games of it since then. It is a very fun game.

I had the most fun playing as Jinteki, mostly cause I love bluffing and setting up nice traps. As a runner I feel like I have no control and it's basically a controlled descent, which is actually quite interesting.

I'd be interested in meeting up for a day of Netrunner if anyone is interested... (I stay in Stellenbosch)
  • I'm in Joburg, haven't played so many games cos haven't ran into that many people who's interested in playing. Plus I've been pretty much caved myself cos I've been busy trying to get things done.

I like Haas-Bioroid the best, although getting killed by Scorched Earth without a chance of retaliation a few times convinces me that Weyland is broken if decks were built around it.

Hacker side I like the Criminals best, though I think Shapers are VERY strong given the right circumstances.

Gotta get into deckbuilding :)
  • What I found very interesting is how important the economy is. As a runner, you sometimes should run just to force the corp to rez ice and drain his economy. As the corp you often have to think about how much it will cost the runner to get past your ice, instead of expecting your defenses to be impenetrable.

I haven't even started with deckbuilding yet. It seems like they have left quite a bit of room for improvement with a little deckbuilding, which is really great from an out-of-box experience. I feel like I need to get a better feel for each of the factions before I start specializing.
  • Yeah the economy on both sides are both very very interesting. I feel that slipping up on either side (failed bluff by corp or giving away an easy score or calling bad bluff or running into trap, for both sides respectively) contribute severely to behindness, and while the being behind part can be caught up by luck again, it's much more prudent to not slip up, on either side.

I feel like I was always under super pressure as the corp, and constant despair as the runner.

The semi-random winning conditions (I've run like 15 times in a row on different cards without being able to hit agenda) kinda bugs me, but it's obviously alleviated by running more = better chance to win.

I'm finding it hard to evaluate cards, which is quite an interesting new dynamic :)

Looking forward to the expansions coming :) Hope not too many though, don't want this to turn into another MTG (which it probably won't except for the "need" to buy two core sets..... or 3 if you want 3 Watanabes or Pawnshops... Argh.