[Event] Johannesburg Community Evening - 9th September 2014

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment in the thread below to let us know!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Tuesday 9th September

Where: Microsoft Campus Bryanston, 3012 William Nicol Drive, Bryanston, Johannesburg

Content
- Introductions
- Community News (5 min)

- Your presentation/talk/game here

- 5 minute break.

- Focused Feedback (10 mins x 3 slots) [Games that will be shown on the big screen]
- Vietnam 65

- Open Demo Floor (Show your games in an informal manner with set up PC's/laptops).

Bring your games and set them up inside the auditorium before and after the meetup!

Beers/Drinks/Pizza afterwards at Col'Cacchio's down the road! Other nearby suggestions are welcome!

If you intend to attend, please indicate so on the FB event!

Board game prototypes can, will, and have been tested at the post-meetup beers and pizza, so bring along your prototypes!

Also, we need talks! Get on that!

If you get lost or don't know where in the Microsoft campus we are, call me on 083 397 8725

Comments

• Hi all, sorry for the delay in getting out this month's thread, was considering doing something different because it's near to A MAZE, but the logistics fell through :).

GIFF ME CONTENT!

(Also, I can't promise anything, but we might be overflowing with Cape Town + international devs because of this month's proximity to A MAZE) :)
  • QCF only gets to JHB on the 10th, sorry :(
  • edited
    Can I have a feedback slot for Alien Lobotomy? Want some feedback on the UI changes we've been making.
  • Can I get a 10 min slot to show finished product and announce launch of Vietnam'65 onto the iStore ? Thx
    Thanked by 2Tuism Bensonance
  • @JohanNagel

Sure, that'd be great! :)
  • edited
    OK, it's time for Self-Imposed Sleep Reducing Hard Deadline™ - I want to show my little creation that I want to show for rAge, and I have a bunch of stuff to do for A MAZE already so I'm not sure if I'm not biting off more than I can chew, but...

Here we go, tentatively titled Beat Beat Revolution! (think I'll get sued?)

http://instagram.com/p/sGR6C0N1Ua
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • I must say this is really amazing, I love the mechanics!

"Beatris" "Beat Pong" "Hyper Beat" "Beatrix" <-- Just some suggestions ;)

Are you gonna put up a download for this?
  • Thanks!! :D It's taken many, many many many many crazy mixed up concepts to get to something of th

As soon... As I unbreak it :/ It's not playable at the moment... sigh >_<
  • Can't wait! :D
    Stop breaking things! :P
  • Really wanted to make this meet as I haven't been in so long but I have some band problems atm (lost a trumpet player, auditioning a new one) but if that falls through ill be there :D
  • @Tim_Harbour - you better be there! :P
  • @Tuism Cool - putting you down!

Anyone interested in hearing me ramble a bit about "Designing Levels from a Mechanical perspective: teaching and challenging the player"?
  • @Bensonance - You do tend to ramble, but that does sound interesting! :D
  • Think @bensonance is getting better at the art of the self-loom :)
  • edited
    I could probably show a video? I mean, I don't know what it'd be yet (because I usually pre-watch them to make sure the content's good/relevant/a good fit for our audience), but videos in the past seem to have been received very well (the juice one, Journey one, Megaman! Megaman! one...).
  • @Elyaradine Yeah that would be great!

Can you take a look around what videos you might want to show?

Then we can do the focused feedback first and then show the video :).
  • So far, it's very likely that the video will be about narrative in game design, but I'll be looking through it tonight first. :)
  • @Elyaradine That sounds cool! How long is the video?

Also, anybody available to give lifts from Wits and back? We've got a whole bunch of Cape Town and international game makers arriving for A MAZE and I know a lot of them would be keen to come to the meetup if they could.
  • It's a little over 20 minutes. :)
  • edited
    How close is the Joburg meetup to Braamfontein?

A few of us from Free Lives will be arriving at OR Tambo airport at 17:15. It'd be sweet if we could drop in on the meetup.
  • edited
    It kinda depends on how much work I can get through today before the meetup, I got a few things needing to get done... But even if I'm not exactly on the way, I don't mind going through to do a pickup if noone's in the area to do a lift.

Basically Bannister Hotel, yeah? And I have a little yaris so probably can't take more than 4 - 5 at a squeeze :)
  • How close is the Joburg meetup to Braamfontein?

A few of us from Free Lives will be arriving at OR Tambo airport at 17:15. It'd be sweet if we could drop in on the meetup.
    From the airport at 17:30, it's a good 45 mins / 1 hour drive through to Microsoft in Bryanston in rush hour; possibly longer. It is nowhere near Braamfontein at all... literally the other side of Joburg :)

So if you go straight through to MS from the airport, you *might* just make it in time, but if you've got to go somewhere else first, you're likely only to arrive at/near the end of the talks and start of the mingles.
  • edited
    If you guys take the Gautrain to Sandton Station, I can pick you up from there to go to the meetup :) Although I have only a Yaris and not a bus, so it depends on how many people + luggage you guys are!
  • Free Lives?
    More like Free Rides!
    :P
    Thanked by 1Kobusvdwalt9