rAge 2014

edited in Events
Dates: 10 October – 12 October

So it's that time again. Time to expose your games to the public (or the public to your games in some cases).

** If you want to submit your game or you have submitted it, check the bottom of this post for requirements. **

For those of you who didn’t make last years rAge it was a massive success. It's an opportunity to connect to the local media and local fans. To see people playing your games and learn what's working well and what's not working well yet. Last year we also saw Nintendo taking an interest in Pixel Boy. This is something not to be missed.

Here is a render of the stand planned this year. Each wall panel is a meter long. Each table along the front will have two games per table facing each way. The premium stands are on the side. Celestial and Learn 3D are in the two stands sponsor stands.

As you might have noticed the stand is larger than last year. There are two sponsor stands this year as well as 4 premium slots managed by New Age Gaming. Then 10 stations for the MGSA community to show off our games. If you are interested in a Premium slot please contact Cheryl Harris (cheryl@nag.co.za) at New Age Gaming.

The machines will be running windows, and we do have controllers available (the same ones as last year. If you need one to get your game working let me know and we can make a plan, alternatively please make sure your game inputs are configurable). Currently there is no plan to supply internet so your game should work offline.

The computers will be Intel i7 running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit on 16 GB of RAM

Submit your games on this thread also include whether or not you will be at rAge to represent your game. Preference will be given to those teams who are able to make it to rAge.

We also need stand minions. People who are keen to assist showing games off and chatting to the public please message @Karuji if you able to assist on the day.

Games for RAGE:
Sponsored Stands
Cadence @TheFuntastic (attendance unconfirmed)
Alien Lobotomy @SUGBOERIE (attending)
Unseen @Riocide (attending)
Dead Run @tuism (attending)
Snailboy @thoopid (attending)
Rooks Keep @ShadowBlade (attending)
VCD @ShadowBlade (attending)
Neon Shadow @Steve (not attending)
Clutchfighter @Asbestos (attending)
ZX Hyperblast @Karuji (not attending)

On the Premium Stands
Broforce (attending)
MONTEZ (attending)
Stasis Game (attending)
Learn3D TBA (attending)

Sponsor Stands
Learn3D
Battle Arena Drones WIP rAge Tournament (Celestial)
black-logo-on-tranparent-bg.png
1421 x 908 - 86K
ragestand1.jpg
1536 x 1024 - 81K
ragestand2.jpg
1536 x 1024 - 84K
ragestand3.jpg
1536 x 1024 - 81K

Comments

• Can we submit games that were shown last year? Like, can I submit Desktop Dungeons?
  • Yes by all means there is no reason a game can not be shown again this year.
  • I'd like to put forward Cadence. At this stage I can't confirm we will be able to attend, so for now let's say we won't be able to.
  • PinPong will be ready for rAge if there is a spot open, and I will try to be there in person at least one of the days.
  • I'll be there for the entire duration (FULL INDIE BOOYAH) and this time I've shirked off the Netrunner tourney, so I'm DEDICATED OOORAH.

So pumped.

Also I'm working on a prototype that I believe will work super well for the rAge environment - four player, one touch controls. I'd like to propose it. Soon.

Sooon...
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • @Tuism look forward to seeing it.

@farsicon, @TheFutastic, @dislekcia your games have been added to the submissions list.
  • Alien Lobotomy. We'll be there the whole time.
  • We'd love the opportunity to show one of the games we're currently working on, and get some exposure for our company from a wider audience. Either Unseen, our stealth roguelike, or Caelum, our spaceship builder thing. They're both still early in development, but we're confident we could have a good demo done for one if it is chosen for the MGSA booth at rAge.

If we were displaying something, we'd definitely be sending some people for the full duration of the Expo.
    Thanked by 1Mexicanopiumdog
  • @Riocide I personally like Unseen more. Please decide which one you keen to bring.
  • @tbulford Thanks, will discuss with the other guys on the team and get back to you asap
  • I'd like to submit System Crash again. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend in person.
  • edited
    I would love the opportunity to submit Oliver and I will attend! :D

Would I be able to give away paraphernalia?
  • Oh of course Dead Run will definitely be ready for rAge. In fact we're pretty peeved at the Apple Dev program thing - I catered for double the time it could possibly take and of course it's taking like 3 times as long :(

So I'd like to submit Dead Run for rAge!
  • Hey, is there any way that I could show a card game that I've been working on at rAge as well?

@Tuism: What's the problem you're having with Apple Dev? DUNS number bullshit?
  • DUNS number bullshit was level one... I applied for one from our local offices, and then I thought... OK let's cover all our bases and do it through apple's link too. They told me that it'd be ready in X days, then Y days before it propagates throughout international servers, whatever. So I wait X days, got the number from local branch, then wait Y days, checking every day to see if the registration would work. After Y days, it still wasn't working, so I check with DUNS to confirm my number (automated). It's there, theoretically. Then I check with apple, which took Z days. Then Apple tells me after Z days that they can't get it on their record, so I must contact DUNS. I contact DUNS and explain my situation. After N days they tell me - without any reason - that they have now manually captured my information and that it should work after X + Y days.

So I contact apple saying it's urgent. They said that I could register a personal account and upgrade to a company profile later.

OK so I do that. That's quick, or theoretically. It says "the order" should take 2 days to process. One day later, it took the money from my account. That was 6 days ago, and I still can't access iTunes Connect.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

moral of the story is to just get an account NOW instead of when you need it. Because it *will* fuck out.
  • @Tuism: I have a personal account while waiting for the business account to sort itself out. That's been over 8 months now... Most recent stuff is D&B are manually sending our info to Apple, have someone from Apple working from their side too. If you give me your DUNS number and your Apple account name (PM dat shit, okay?), I can escalate with Apple as well and see if there's anything else they can do to help what appears to be a local problem with D&B.
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • @tbulford We've talked it over, and we're happy to narrow our game submission down to only Unseen. Thanks :)
    Thanked by 1tbulford
  • Tuism said:
    Oh of course Dead Run will definitely be ready for rAge. In fact we're pretty peeved at the Apple Dev program thing - I catered for double the time it could possibly take and of course it's taking like 3 times as long :(

This on tablet/phone? We only catering for PC's there this year we could not get devices to show mobile games on.
  • We can
    dislekcia said:
    Hey, is there any way that I could show a card game that I've been working on at rAge as well?
    We can add it to the submissions list. Whats the name?
  • tbulford said:
    Tuism said:
    Oh of course Dead Run will definitely be ready for rAge. In fact we're pretty peeved at the Apple Dev program thing - I catered for double the time it could possibly take and of course it's taking like 3 times as long :(

This on tablet/phone? We only catering for PC's there this year we could not get devices to show mobile games on.
    We've got a PC build, also showing the PC build at AMAZE :)

Oh and if we're doing card games, just by the way, Cartel is getting a *nicer* version for A MAZE, could I add that to submissions too?
  • Tuism said:
    We've got a PC build, also showing the PC build at AMAZE :)

Oh and if we're doing card games, just by the way, Cartel is getting a *nicer* version for A MAZE, could I add that to submissions too?
    Look forward to seeing Cartel at AMAZE. Will add DeadRun to the submissions list too.
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • @Tbulford - Is there space for an arcade machine at the booth? Could add some stickiness if there aren't any on the showfloor?
  • silvaring said:
    @Tbulford - Is there space for an arcade machine at the booth? Could add some stickiness if there aren't any on the showfloor?
    There are normally arcade machine at rAge at least for the last two years there have been. They put up by a company that manufactures them. I am not sure there is space. Looking at the layout above it would be a pretty tight squeeze. What did you have in mid to run on the machine?
  • May we please add Snailboy to the lineup? Unfortunately we won't be able to attend either. Since there won't be any mobile or tablet devices could we send you a Snailboy PC build?
  • @tbulford maybe a multi jamma pcb, dunno really, just an idea to have a cab there for exposure. If you say another companies doing it at Rage though then maybe its not such a good idea.
  • thoopid said:
    Since there won't be any mobile or tablet devices could we send you a Snailboy PC build?
    Added. A PC build would be fine.

• Could totally submit Rooks Keep and VCD, depending on what you guys need for it (both PC only) :)

As for whether we can attend or not, can't say for sure yet :\
  • Could totally submit Rooks Keep and VCD, depending on what you guys need for it (both PC only) :)

As for whether we can attend or not, can't say for sure yet :\
    Added both to the submissions thank you.

Thanked by 1ShadowBlade
  • edited
    Can we show off Broforce there? Richard is definitely going to be attending. Possibly Ruan as well. Possibly myself.

What do the premium stands entail? Is there extra space? Could we put up two screens? Is there a larger area around them for people to stand.
  • edited
    @BlackShipsFilltheSky - "If you are interested in a Premium slot please contact Cheryl Harris (cheryl@nag.co.za) at New Age Gaming"
    I think your best bet is to email Cheryl with them questions maybe? :P
  • @BlackShipsFilltheSky - Will there be perches set up for the bald eagles?
  • Can we show off Broforce there? Richard is definitely going to be attending. Possibly Ruan as well. Possibly myself.
    I will add Broforce I will say though I think its a no brainer.
    What do the premium stands entail? Is there extra space? Could we put up two screens? Is there a larger area around them for people to stand.
    I am not involved much with the premium stands. They essentially 6m2 and the costs includes branding. I do however thing they all sold out. There were only 4 slots.

I am updating the post tonight with more information from the rAge organisers.
  • Oh yeah, should probably say that I would like to submit zX: Hyperblast. Kinda redundant that I'll be there the entire time, and Mike will be there for Saturday and Sunday. (I think. I haven't actually checked with him but I'm 90% sure he will be there :3 )
  • Karuji said:
    Oh yeah, should probably say that I would like to submit zX: Hyperblast. Kinda redundant that I'll be there the entire time, and Mike will be there for Saturday and Sunday. (I think. I haven't actually checked with him but I'm 90% sure he will be there :3 )
    Added to the submissions.

• Vietnam '65 will be at Rage, booth right next to MGSA stand. See you guys there....
    Thanked by 2tbulford retroFuture
  • If there is room we can submit both Neon Shadow and Tom Sparks.
    Unfortunately I don't think I can attend. Both games are on PC and support controllers.

Cheers!
    Steve.
  • @tbulford - I've emailed you all the submission stuff please let me know if you have received it!
  • Are you showing boardgames?
  • So, wondering if we can make it up for a visit to rAge. I'll need to hurry and see if it's possible to get us up there before the 10th, transport, and so on. Woefully ignorant on travel..
    Was wondering if perhaps there'll be a meetup around the time though, possibly with some of the CT devs in town as well? Be quite handy to meet some of the local talent from further afield while we're there :)
  • So, wondering if we can make it up for a visit to rAge. I'll need to hurry and see if it's possible to get us up there before the 10th, transport, and so on. Woefully ignorant on travel..
    Just do it :) hope to see you guys there.
    Was wondering if perhaps there'll be a meetup around the time though, possibly with some of the CT devs in town as well? Be quite handy to meet some of the local talent from further afield while we're there :)
    There is nothing official planned, but for the most part we all a very social bunch. I am sure we can plan something.

Any takers keen to get together one evening during rAge? Venue suggestions etc.
  • Can we submit board games? and if so how would it work?
  • Edit: We will be attending!
    Thanked by 1tbulford
  • ** UPDATE **
    We have extended the deadline for selection to Wednesday the 17th of September. If you still have not send us your press information and build please do by latest tomorrow.
  • Cheatsi said:
    Can we submit board games? and if so how would it work?
    Unfortunately we are not able to accept physical media games for rAge only electronic games.

• Still not 100% sure about games that were exhibited last year...

Do I need to send DD press info and a build, in other words?
  • dislekcia said:
    Still not 100% sure about games that were exhibited last year...

Do I need to send DD press info and a build, in other words?
    Yes please I don't have the information that was sent last year. Also I meant to ask you about the card game. Is that a digital game or a traditional card game? We only hosting PC games at rAge physical games will need to be supported at some other event.
  • Thanks for extending the time we had to upload.

I would like to submit Metamorforest which you might have seen at AMAZE. I would be happy to be there either as a representative for the game or as a minion if needed, here is a link and the requested pictures:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8c347m4zdkwmgf/Metamorforest 2.0.exe?dl=0

Thanks
    Benjamin Crooks
    ScreenShot1.png
    1022 x 768 - 475K
    ScreenShot2.png
    1026 x 768 - 431K
    ScreenShot3.png
    1024 x 768 - 185K
  • edited
    @BenCrooks Metamorforest is really cool. I'd like to see you work a bit more on it. It feels to me like there's a lot of interesting experiences in low-hanging fruit range.

I do know of course that I had the unluckiest playthrough possible when I played it at Amaze. But if you have time please add some more events that can happen to the player, and some more elements that convey the feeling of being lost.

There's already the feeling of loneliness, you've conveyed that really well, and when I spoke to you you made it clear that there's definitely the intention of fucking with the player, but the game doesn't convey that it's intentionally messing with you (and I think that's a unique selling point if you find ways to make it more apparent and to expand on it).

e.g. Make some things a little more permanent, but just as the player feels like they can rely on those things, take them away. Like signposts, or a compass, or looping back onto your own trail, or finding a trail/river that appears to lead somewhere, or something.

At the same time, there's got to be hope. It's got to somehow feel fair. Again, I know I had the unluckiest playthrough ever, but the player is going to feel much more motivated if they anticipate some sort of victory. Maybe there's a way to show a bit of progress (like in the scenery) which will lead players to think they're getting somewhere.

I'm assuming that the game is unwinnable at the moment. But maybe that's due to the sort of playthrough I had. Thinking that the game is unwinnable meant that I had no motivation to try it again once I'd died. Ideally you want players to keep trying desperately to beat the game, and a couple of them even succeeding. But to do this the game has to convey some sort of goal (even if it is implicit).
    Thanked by 1tbulford
  • Thanks Evan.

I really appreciate the great advice and you playing my game. You assumed right in the game being unwinnable (so don't feel too bad) :). I agree completely and hope to implement these points in the near future, they are fantastic, thanks.

I would love more advice on future versions if you are available.
    Thanked by 2Bensonance Cheatsi
  • The suspense is killing me! :P