Job Shadowing

edited in Jobs
Hi all, I was hoping you could help me out. I need to find any place that is remotely related to game design that will let me do a week of job shadowing there. Any help/advice will be much appreciated.

I realize that this is a rather sparse post (and thanks to the others on the forum for letting me know) but I'll send a more detailed bio once I know that there are in fact places willing to take me. I am situated in Natal but best case scenario would for me to shadow somewhere in Johannesburg or Pretoria as there are a lot of people that I know there with whom I can stay. I'm looking to shadow in the last week of September, I'll confirm the exact dates later on in the day. Again, any help is appreciated. Thanks all.

Comments

• edited
    @MichaStiller Hi, welcome :)

Not sure if I can help you directly, but letting the people here know about the specific area your in and the time frame you're looking at will probably help frame the answers.

Good luck!
  • Are you in Cape Town or JHB (or Durbs) or.... actually where are you?
  • Also, any sort of portfolio, areas of interest, etc would help you. Basically you need to learn to talk about yourself so that people can get a better idea of you instead of "hi i want to job shadow in games".
  • I realize that this is a rather sparse post (and thanks to the others on the forum for letting me know) but I'll send a more detailed bio once I know that there are in fact places willing to take me.
    How would places know that they're willing to take you if they know absolutely nothing about you? Here, you need to sell yourself as being a great person to job shadow - especially since there's not a huge amount to be got for the games company (unlike an intern, for example)

• edited
    If you're not looking specifically for game design, but are also keen on making game art, I think Luma Arcade's a great place to shadow, imo. (Disclaimer: I work there. :P) At any time here in Joburg, chances are we've got someone involved with almost every part of the art pipeline, whether it's concept art, 3D art assets, rigging, animation, fx.

If you're not interested in game art, then don't come here. Because the majority of folks who've come to job shadow here (every person I can think of who's shadowed for 1+ weeks) in the ~3-4 years I've been here have are now doing game art-related studies. :P