Game Demo Session at the Serious Games Conference, August 29th

edited in Events
Hey all!

So we have been contacted by the organisers of the Serious Games Conference to organise a kind of "game demo session" at the conference. The conference is primarily academic, but the legendary game designer Ernest Adams will be there. The idea is that a bunch of you volunteer to come demo your game/prototype for a period and then do a Q&A / Feedback session on your game from the audience (probably including Adams himself and some notable games researchers apparently).

The games do not have to be serious games, but you if you have one then that would be great. We have around an hour to fill and this would include me chatting about MGSA for a few minutes followed by the games demos. We still have to get the final details before we can confirm how much time each entrant gets - but this will also depend on the number of you that are keen to pitch their games :).

You can find out more about the conference over here.

There are some caveats:

A) She ideally wants the developer to be present, so this will limit non-Joburg people.
B ) The venue is basically an hour away from Joburg :/.
C) We've been given a slot 13:30 on a Friday, which may mean it's dificult for many of you to get away from work.

Give some feedback on the situation and idea so I can see what to try go back and negotiate with her on. I would hate to have to pitch all these games to Ernest myself, but that is one option :) :P.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Comments

• Why is it a pitch? What do we get out of the pitch process? Is there funding at stake, or are we talking criticism?

Is it okay to simply present games we've already made, or is this specifically about things we haven't made yet?
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • Honestly, it's all a bit unclear - I am waiting for another response from my contact to get some details.

I did think 'pitching' might cause confusion, but essentially it is a demo of a game already made. I have replaced pitch with demo in the OP - don't know why I used it in the first place :/.

Essentially all you get out of it is visibility and perhaps some feedback/criticism. There is no funding at stake, it is merely the chance to show a different audience of game people (researchers/academics) locally about your game.

Present games already made, not ones yet to be made (I realise now, that's where the usage of 'pitch' was confusing :) ).
  • Sounds cool, I'm up in Joburg around then, I'll try to be there!

Anyone else going? Would be cool to maybe share transport.
  • I'd love to volunteer my game :) Oliver
  • Oliver - Sorry forgot to share the link.
  • Ok, any updates on what's going on with this?
  • edited
    Yes!

Apologies for the lack of info: battling with communication with the conference organizers in combination with shoddy internet is not a good combination :).

Anyway, the update is that we are in discussions (more or less confirmed) about each dev that attends, getting full access to the conferences proceedings for that day. Currently the list of interested parties I have is:

System Crash
    Oliver
    zX: Hyperblast

We have about a 45 minute slot to spread out among the games, so I am hesitant to offer more than 3 games a place, and will give preference to those that can attend in person. The makers of those games listed above, please let me know here or on email whether you're still interested and can make it in person. :)

The layout of the talks I am thinking of currently is:

5 mins MGSA (Talk about MGSA and what we do, etc.)
    Game 1 - 13 mins
    Game 2 - 13 mins
    Game 3 - 13 mins

I would recommend we split that time up into demo and Q&A/ Feedback sessions for each game, but we can change the time each game gets once everyone's attendance is confirmed :).

Once we know who is confirmed, we can organise a carpool (@garethf I'll give you a lift no matter what :) ).
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • @Bensonance We'd be keen and will be there in person to demo Alien Lobotomy.

• @Bensonance: I expressed interest in showing both Desktop Dungeons and Mathstermind via email, did that not get to you properly?
  • @Bensonance - Awesomeness.
    @garethf I'll give you a lift no matter what :)
    Why thank you, kind sir!
  • @SUGBOERIE Cool, if one of the other games falls out, I'll let you guys know :).

@Dislekicia Finally replied to that email, and as I said above:
    ill give preference to those that can attend in person
    :)

Would still love to pitch Mathstermind, though :)
  • edited
    @SUGBOERIE Cool, if one of the other games falls out, I'll let you guys know :).

@Dislekicia Finally replied to that email, and as I said above:
    ill give preference to those that can attend in person
    :)

Would still love to pitch Mathstermind, though :)
    Yeah, Mathstermind is basically what I feel the SGI people need to see to go "Oh, wait, maybe we shouldn't be ignoring these people quite so hard..."