[Event] Super Friendship Arcade - Alpha! (and a SF Jam!)

edited in Events
The wheels are in motion, the next Super Friendship Arcade is going to be on the 1 Aug!
https://www.facebook.com/events/1498849496998288/

This time we're also planning to have a very casual jam with the hopes of increasing local game representation at the event:
https://www.facebook.com/events/471682169601121/

Last time we had awesome participation and assistance from the community (aka you guys)! It wouldn't have been possible without you, and we hope we can repeat that again. Now that we have an idea of what didn't work last time, we realise we may need a more formalised approach to volunteer assistance - in particular regard to curating participation in games and manning an entrance booth. More details will follow soon! :)

The addition of the jam also hints at one of our long term ambitions for SFA: ideally we'd like for it become self sustaining, with the profits used to incubate and sponsor new experiments in social video games and digital interfaces. We're also very keen to foster collaborations between different kinds of makers, involving arduino experts, industrial designers and all other kinds of hackers and tinkerers. For now (there are no profits so) it's about reaching out to beyond our community. But in future we'd like to at least be able to pay for materials (arduino boards, cabinets, etc) needed to make awesome things. Also we'd like to see the best local games travelling overseas to other events and conferences from which SFA took it cues. Whether or not we get that far remains to be seen, but we're pretty sure everyone's going to have a good time along the way ;)

Comments

• So why is it Alpha? Shouldn't it be Beta?
  • edited
    Is it maybe alpha due being the first one with a game jam?
  • So now I'm wondering if there's a way that games could make multiplayer maths-based gameplay fun?

And if Beatbox Hero might be awesome with like 4 players each following their own line of words... And then you "slice" the song lyrics among multiple players so that one person says "Bill" and the other says "Eee" and then another says "Jeen" at just the right time to make it all sound like Michael Jackson to everyone else.
    Thanked by 1TheFuntastic
  • I'm in talks with a certain beautifully bearded man (@nekropants) to have a Joburg version of the jam on the same weekend. Joburgers would you be interested? :)
    Thanked by 1Fengol
  • @Fengol first one was "the prototype!" ;)
  • Rad! Any chance of a CT jam venue? Perhaps UCT?
  • Question: is it meant to be a whole day event, or an evening thing? I couldn't make the last one, but I just noticed 1 August is a Friday and I was wondering about people with"real" jobs.
  • The event will be on Friday evening, it's meant to be as social as possible ;)

We originally had smaller ambitions for the jam, but after the enthusiastic response from everybody we will need a bigger jam venue. Can anybody help out? UCT is probably a good idea...
  • I will see if I can organise something at UCT, how big a venue/room would we need? If its small we could probably just cram into the masters lab board room. Else I would need to try book a venue.

Then the only problem would be internet, I could host a wireless hotspot if there are just a few people. Otherwise we would need to try organise something more manageable.
  • I think we need a fair bit of space in case people want to build some thing physical. I want to dick around with kinect. I think Raxter is following up with codebridge.
  • edited
    A year or two ago @Scratch17 and I built an actual arcade cabinet running MAME. It's currently sitting in our old Post-grad lab here in Stellenbosch, but I could look into burrowing it for the event if there is interest? Or maybe someone wants to use it for a project (Its currently running win7 and the PC has pretty decent specs)?
  • @Riocide That would be so sick dude!
  • Hi guys, some important considerations if you're down for the jam and didn't get the notification on facebook:
    We totally underestimated your enthusiasm for making games, awesome stuff! Unfortunately it means our original venue was nowhere near big enough. We have been scrambling desperately all week to find a bigger venue and right now there are two options, neither of them ideal:

1) We roll with our original venue and limit numbers.
    2) There is the possibility we push back a week till when a bigger venue is available.

What we urgently need for you now is to go register for the jam so that can nail down some numbers. In the case we have to limit numbers it will be a first come first basis!
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fAS0QVLwuVJygdTURJHLP_4Rh8F_4BiEOi7DIrTN1hU/edit?usp=sharing
  • I'd prefer to jam next weekend, this coming one isn't an option for me. Don't see an option for that in the registration?
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • dislekcia said:
    I'd prefer to jam next weekend, this coming one isn't an option for me. Don't see an option for that in the registration?
    Do you mean the 26th? Because the next weekend is the SFA.
  • Update:
    Everybody please note that the Jam has been postponed to next weekend at the awesome co-working facilities Twenty Fifty above Truth Coffee shop in town. This means that we will have enough room for everyone, as well as all of you who couldn't make it tomorrow.

Please note: TwentyFifty have given us a generous concession, in return we ask if you could donate R50 each for use of the space – think of it a good incentive to get focused! If there is anyone for whom this unreasonable then speak to us directly and we'll see if we can make a plan.
    Okay that solves the issues of there being no option on the spreadsheet. We would still appreciate if you could register on the link above. Thanks ever'body! :)
  • edited
    Hey guys!

Help is needed for some admin / humanpower stuff on Friday evening and we need to co-ordinate a volunteer roster.

The request is simple:
    - Exist near the doorway for half an hour
    - Make SFA look cool
    - Offer reassurance to people who are scared of the awesome things around them

If we get enough volunteers to double up on slots, this could be made super convenient for everyone.

If we get too few volunteers for that, I'll buy dutiful respondents their very own Super Friendship Loyalty Beers. They'll be nice ones, too.

We'll need at least eight people for the course of the evening. Sign up here to earn our love:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13i-IcLMo_8XMSJxelCyqJd3mW9ujAP1t2X2riPKD9Go/edit?usp=sharing

Gogogo!
  • I'm happy to help out. Do you need people to help set up too?
  • I'll probably get there reasonably early. Don't mind manning the door/herding the donation box again either.
  • Hey, I'd like to volunteer to help out as well. Will attempt to get there as early as possible considering the traffic from Stellenbosch.
  • I'm already in charge of 'all things foot pedal' so I guess I'm implicitly signed up?
  • @TheFuntastic didn't communicate about needing additional setup in particular, but we'll definitely keep you posted.
  • Great party everyone! Can't wait for the next one.
  • Well done to the organisers for last night - was good fun and an excellent turnout!
  • Big thanks to everyone who helped out or got involved, whether it be manning the doors or participating in the Jam. Organising the event represents a huge effort from us and we really do appreciate the assistance.

Also it looks like our efforts paid off! Considering our original goals for SFA (bringing people together with games) we would have to consider the event a huge success! Had over 300 people through doors. Also awesome to see a number of people gushing enthusiastic about how glad they are the event exits :) Still need to recuperate, catch our breath, and tie up loose ends - but there will definitely be more! (Just maybe not for a little while. I'm exhausted ;) )
  • The last SFA sounded awesome and I then saw nothing about what was in it, this SFA sounded awesome and then I saw nothing of what was in it... I would love to see photos, writeups, list of stuff that was there (games, people, whatever)... Anything!!

I think we lack a general lack of documentation in SA in terms of coverage... If we don't have tons of media, we should at least be doing our own coverage!

TLDR: I wanna know what was at SFA!!! (the last one too!)
  • edited
    Reading that I'm kinda like - pssh. I gots enough problems just organising the damn thing! :P

But in fairness this time @merrik (and his photo camera enabled friends) made more of an effort at documentation:

Also keep an eye out in NAG for some coverage ;)

Photos of the jam:
    (not sure if friend permissions are going to get in the way here)
    https://www.facebook.com/adoneandthesky/media_set?set=a.10153058438467468.1073741848.668527467&type=3

The games line up (in the event details):
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1498849496998288/?ref=22

Photos of the event:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.671854072902790.1073741833.589822101105988&type=1

Thanked by 1Tuism
  • I had the best time at this. These nights are really just my favourite events. Thanks @TheFuntastic, Richard (who is he on here?) and everyone else who made games or gear or high fives on the night!

My greatest regret is not getting to play Pat Cat Pat.

Not mentioned on the official line-up, but still on screen between Rakete and Two headed foot snake, was Kick In The Door. This is a dungeon-crawling game where you play as one of three pals, adventuring under the employ of a tiny telepathic monkey. Players would kick in doors and monster skulls using the foot pedals that Tim (who's he on here?) built for the last SFA. The game was coded by @raxter with music and sound by Jason Sutherland and direction and art by myself.

As something that we only dreamt up a week earlier at the SFA Game Jam, it was really great to see the Kick In The Door up on the night. It was also the first game I've designed that could be played by general public which was such a thrill to see. What's more, people seemed to like it a bunch which was amazing.

@raxter and I are pretty stoked on this weirdo baby we made and plan to keep working at it in the future. We're planning to share a build with the community soon. Looking forward to hearing what you all think of it!

Thanks again to everyone who was a part of this awesome night. The next one can't come soon enough!