Screen capture & video editing

edited in Questions and Answers
I know this is completely off-topic for these forums but I'm trying to edit the videos of the shader workshop I took. I've tried using LoiLoScope2 and Lightworks but the best software has so far been Microsoft Movie Maker.

However whenever I save and close the project and open it again the audio doesn't work and I have to rebuild the work all over again. I've Googled the problem and all MS can say is it's my codecs :(

Can anyone recommend a good, free video editing tool?

Comments

• edited
    Blender. Seems to do all the things I need it to. + Open Broadcaster for the capture.
    Quick start to video editing in Blender:

Thanked by 1creative630
  • After going through the usual suspects (I'm looking at you Fraps), I settled on Bandicam, it seemed to do the trick for me.
  • edited
    Been learning Blender video editing; thanks so much!

Still using Lolio Recorder for screen capture but I'll try Open Broadcaster next.

The problem with Fraps I found is the files it creates are huge and crash at about 4GB and because he uses a custom, uncompressed codec I had a problem loading the files into various video editing suites.
  • I'd just like to point out that the thread you merged in here was about screen capture, while this is about video editing. I see though how the topics are related, so wanted o suggest that you rename the thread to include both (screen capture + video editing)
    Thanked by 2Elyaradine Nitrogen
  • +1 for Open Broadcast Software ;)

Video editing I use Adobe Premiere. But decidedly not free.
  • For screen-capturing, I have nooooo idea. For video editing = definitely Premiere Pro, Final Cut or Avid. Avid's interface is a real biatch to master, lol. Personally I only edit in Premiere, it is easy to grasp, its fast to edit in, and you can do quite a lot in it.

The interface's of Premiere and Final Cut is very similar, so switching from the one to the other is seamless. Need help, give me an inbox.

• I've used Fraps and found it very good for screen capturing. For editing I've found a free program called Videomeld, which is so user friendly and intuitive, at least compared to the other free programs out there. As for compressing videos, Handbrake is my favorite program to use.
  • I've used fraps and handbrake too before. I'm not too fond of fraps though, but I guess that's because I have the free version
  • my two cents: Bandicam is pretty good for screen capure of desktop

If you are windows, the lagarith codec is pretty good for lossless capture

Lastly I think FFMPEG can also do screen capture via direct show, but requires command line noodling
  • Just want to mention here that Shadowplay is the best capture software if you have a new Nvidia GPU. I can't live without it now :)