FuckThisJam :)

I've always thought this was an interesting one:
Fuck This Jam 2014 (May 31st - June 6th, 2014) is a gamejam that challenges you to make a game in a genre you hate. As developers, we're all being told to make games we love playing, or games we love making. Genres we know the in and outs of, genres that we research before starting on a game. We ask you to do one simple thing: spend one week making a game in a genre you dislike, a genre you don't care about and a genre you don't know about.

If you love making arcade shooters, why not make a thoughtful puzzler? If you love narrative adventure games, why not make a third person shooter? The less you know, the more likely it is that you'll make something new and interesting.

Through utter ignorance for conventions and hate for the established rules of a genre, beautiful things can happen.
http://fuckthisjam.com/

Comments

• My problem is I can't think of a genre I "don't like". There are games I don't enjoy because they are too hard, too absurd, or thematically uninspiring but not a genre.

@Tuism, I know you don't like random chance so that, I presume, would be your challenge; but that's just a mechanic that can be applied to any genre.

I like the idea though. To stretch yourself to make something you don't normally deal with. Most people I think would qualify to make a sports simulator!
  • edited
    This is slightly shocking, researching Barbie video games; according to wikipedia they can be split into 2 categories.

[list=1]
    [*] Barbie Horse Adventures and other horse-related games
    [*] Non-horse-related games
    [/list]
    compare.png
    216 x 158 - 3K
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • edited
    Ugh, sports games. :< [edit] I feel as if they rely on a whole lot of prior knowledge that I don't have, because no interest.
  • @Elyaradine so it's exactly the genre you should explore for this jam!
  • CRICKET WITH CAMERA SHAKE AND EXPLOSIONS.
  • I know! I was thinking exactly that - a game about DICE. OMG DICE.

Ooooh ooh, a SPORTS GAME WITH DICE. Kill me now :)
  • CRICKET WITH CAMERA SHAKE AND EXPLOSIONS.
    I like all those things. I would buy that game. DO IT
  • edited
    CRICKET WITH CAMERA SHAKE AND EXPLOSIONS.
    I am SO making that for this jam and then sending it down to SFA!

FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_genres

How many of you have made a Christian game like these games from Wisdom Tree.
  • edited
    Well, if nothing else making a game for the value of this tweet might be good:

"I made this Jesus game for #FuckThisJam: Linklinklink"

Hmmmmm :) Jesus Dice Soccer in Barbieland on a Horse. Done!
  • @Elyaradine If you're going to make a cricket game, here's all you need to know about it:

Thanked by 2Fengol Elyaradine
  • Aw man this would mean a hidden object game from me... maybe one with reaaaaly interesting things to find

also for a more serious cricket reference
  • I would love to see a whole bunch of cricket games come out of this jam by this community next week!
  • edited
    Guys. You've given me a really neat idea for a Cricket-based dice game thing... Now I need coloured dice.

Fuck :(

P.S. If someone doesn't make Brockian Ultra Cricket, the internet has been a waste.
  • Wow, Brockian ultra cricket is a real thing:
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=brockian ultra cricket

I wanted Diceball. Then saw that name's already been used many times :P

Damn I hate cricket so much I may just have to do this Cricket dice thing. With American Football.
  • @dislekcia I'll bring my hundred or so coloured dice to beer this eve
  • Ohhhh just remembered it was Hitchhiker's Guide thing :)
  • edited
    I made this mock-up for the design doc of Brockian Ultra Cricket
    ultracricket.png
    400 x 400 - 20K
  • Where's the dice. WHERE'S THE DICE.
  • @dislekcia I'll bring my hundred or so coloured dice to beer this eve
    Sweet!
  • Damn, this sounds interesting! Where the hell do you find time to do these!?
  • @DarkCarnivour, it's easy...you just cut out unnecessary things. Simple stuff like sleeping and eating. :P
  • edited
    Those Ultra-cricket dudes have funky genitals.
  • I think they came from the BUC rules:
    Rule One: Grow at least three extra legs. You won’t need them, but it keeps the crowds amused.
    :)
  • @BlackShipsFilltheSky - Welp, I won't be able to look at that image in the same way again...
  • I'm debating what this brief might mean for me. An artstyle I'm not comfortable with, perhaps?

hmmm, probably all black and white and movement like Sin City, but the Anime.

photorealism and or 3D would be there too, but I think the idea is that it would still be attainable within time.
  • @damousey, what about having to work in a non-digital medium; painting with acrylic for example, then taking photos or scanning to get into the game. Or only using photography stills in general.
  • edited
    damousey said:
    I'm debating what this brief might mean for me. An artstyle I'm not comfortable with, perhaps?

hmmm, probably all black and white and movement like Sin City, but the Anime.

photorealism and or 3D would be there too, but I think the idea is that it would still be attainable within time.
    Code.

And we'll set your IDE up to be in comic sans.
    Thanked by 3Tuism Elyaradine Ratel
  • My machine has no comic sans, it'd just substitute Tekton ;P
  • edited
    Who here like's interactive movies like Dragon's Lair, Phantasmagoria, the Tex Murphy series, Sherlock Holmes, etc? If you don't maybe you should make one?
  • edited
    I just realized a type of game I personally don't enjoy...

Sokoban

So I was watching a trailer for "Road Not Taken" and was really curious about the idea of SpryFox doing a roguelike;

And it seemed like it would make a neat little roguelike puzzler...

But then I had a look at their gameplay trailer...

And the thought of most of my time tediously solving trivial block shuffling totally killed my anticipation. "Road Not Taken" isn't a typical Sokoban, the objects in the world appear to have some interactions beyond occupying space, also the puzzles seem more open to interpretation (at least when they're trivially easy as in the video), but the apparent goal in this video is equally arbitrary (as the goal in Sokoban). (And it definitely involves block shuffling).

I'm not saying Sokoban is a bad game... or that "Road Not Taken" is a bad game based on the videos (also it's totally possible that that gameplay video isn't a good representation of Road Not Taken). I'm mostly saying that I (personally) find no enjoyment in the Sokoban sort of gameplay (which is repetitive, abstract in its goals and is very short on player agency).
  • @BlackShipsFilltheSky: There's definitely more to it than that. Or at least, there was when Danc showed us the prototype years ago. I doubt that the more complex interactions and effects of pushing have disappeared.
  • edited
    @dislekcia Well the first video looks like a game I could get excited about (and did get excited about), whereas the second video (entitled "The Gameplay Mechanics of Road Not Taken") looks like a game I wouldn't consider playing.

I hope it's more like you suggest. I guess the example was more about my personal dislikes (which are relevant to FuckThisJam) than a critique of Daniel Cook's design.

• Who's participating in this jam? Put your WIP ideas and projects on the forum ( put [FTJ2014] as the start of the post title)

Who's making a cricket game?
  • edited
    Just for @BlackShipsFilltheSky, more Road Not Taken gameplay (as well as Danc's beard of length +2)

"Did the chicken house just kick you?"

Also, how is everyone progressing on their FTJ ideas? I've got a cricket card/dice game that's short a few cards, but heading towards it's first playtest soon, then there's something else we might be working on too ;)
  • Car troubles and various things have been taking up my evenings this whole weekend. Very very irritating. Haven't gotten any solid ideas yet... Cricket Dice sports game vibe... Hard. OMG.