[Concept] Fling balls!

edited in Projects
Hi all!

This is my first attempt at game programming! I had an idea while using a physics editor which allows you to test collision surfaces by throwing balls at it and watching how they bounce off. So I thought, why not copy that exactly? :-)

I've created a concept of what could be turned into a game, and I'm hoping for some feedback from you guys, since I'm no expert (and not much of a gamer either). Remember: my first game idea, total noob here, no graphics/sound just a concept/prototype made out of squares and triangles.

You can access the web build here: https://cloud.tobykurien.com/fling/

You can install the Android version to your Android device from here: https://cloud.tobykurien.com/fling/fling.apk

(FYI - built with libGDX). Please ignore warning about bad certificate, as I am using a self-signed certificate for my domain.

Notes:
- The core idea is that you can fling a ball from anywhere on the screen, to anywhere, by swiping. There is no restriction as to where you can shoot from, or where to, or even when, for that matter. Fling as fast as you like!
- The concept is an "action tower defence". You have a weird-looking "tower" with a red health bar. It gets bombarded by incoming asteroids/zombies/ogres/ants/whatever. You kill them by flinging balls at them. You can also bounce balls off your tower or barriers.
- If you tap-and-hold before the fling, your ball gets bigger. You will see the trade-off when you play the demo.
- The faster the asteroid that hits you, the more damage your tower takes.
- The demo has one barrier as an example. The idea is that these are different per level, or spawn randomly. I am toying with the idea that you can move them by dragging them, but currently you can't.
- I am also toying with the idea that you get power-ups that spawn randomly for a brief time, and if you hit it with a ball, you get a power-up (e.g. you now shoot 4 balls in a fan-like formation, per fling).
- Further idea: multi-player co-op mode, where there are two towers to defend (easier with 2 people)
- NB: The Android version plays better than the web version (accurate fling action is not easy with a mouse)

That's it! Let me know if you think this is worth turning into a game, or if there are already games like this, or any other ideas you have around this.

Thanks!
Thanked by 1duncanbellsa

Comments