Cobus Bernard: Building a game with Unity and publishing to Steam

edited in Events
Hey guys, a friend send me a link to this meet up and I didnt see it mentioned on the forums.
http://www.meetup.com/Cape-Town-SPIN/events/159155602/?a=cr1_grp&rv=cr1&_af_eid=159155602&_af=event

Wednesday, March 19, 2014
6:15 PM
3rd Floor, Bandwidth Barn, Woodstock Exchange
66 - 68 Albert Road, Woodstock Exchange, Cape Town
Building a game with Unity and publishing to Steam: going from manual uploads over ADSL to fully automated Jenkins deployments from Amazon EC2.

Developing a game is fun, but how do you manage a 26GB repository for a distributed team from an office with a normal ADSL line? How much fun is uploading the 3.5GB binaries on a Friday when the line keeps dropping? In this talk, I will take you through the evolution of this process to the single-click deployment from the cloud that takes 10 minutes. And show you what I would change for the next round.

About the Speaker

Cobus has been addicted to computers since his first game: Sopwith on the Sperry XT. Since then he has been tinkering with them non-stop. Career-wise he has developed for Linux, Mac,Windows and mobile using Java, C#, Javascript and Xamarin. After hours he keeps busy developing games, mobile pet-projects and dabbling with NodeJS and Clojure.
Thanked by 1tbulford

Comments

• ... Wat?

Who's releasing stuff to Steam with that sort of repository size and isn't a regular member here? Is anyone able to go to this and try to do a community introduction? (Is it maybe someone that was working on that horror game DS -> PC port?)
    Thanked by 1tbulford
  • I'll try and go
    Thanked by 1tbulford
  • ...since his first game: Sopwith on the Sperry XT.
    That seems like the obligatory "back in my day, game dev was like this" that I regularly see in game programmer bios. :D
    Thanked by 1Jwho303
  • dislekcia said:
    (Is it maybe someone that was working on that horror game DS -> PC port?)
    Based on his LinkedIn profile, he was (is?) involved with that :)

• Not going to be able to go tonight, do we have any other volunteers?
  • Im probably going so Ill send and invite :) would be nice if he could give the same talk next week :D
  • Is there any more info about this? Did anyone get to talk to Cobus?
  • Howdy! Yup, it was a pretty cool technical talk of about 35mins. He has attended a few of the meet ups and would like to give the same talk if we wanted. I can get his number from a friend, should we ask him to give his talk for the April meet up?
  • I'd be keen! Although we might have a full program already - let's see what everyone votes for on the event thread when it goes up.
  • Hey guys, I can do the chat with a more technical how-you-do-this at one of the monthly Cape Town meetups? I was a bit swamped that month, didn't even think of posting here regarding the talk. Lemme know if anyone is keen? Cobus