Game im developing in Javascript / HTML5 : LazerLazer

edited in Projects
Hi all,

Busy developing a space shooter using Javascript and HMTL5 canvas
No jQuery or any other libraries - im doing this with plain old javascript.

At the moment its very basic - just a ship that can fly around and an asteroid field that you can shoot.
Will be working on adding additional weapons, bad guys and a really overkill boss at the end.
Also, will be using my web dev skills to add an online leaderboard.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I have been involved in web development for almost 2 years and decided to see what i could do with javascript :)

One last thing - the canvas size is rather large - so you should at least have a monitor with a resolution of over 1366x768
if not then press CTRL and MINUS together to zoom out so it will fit in the browser properly.

Check it out:
http://www.jasonhuman.co.za/lazerlazer

Comments

• edited
    Get this book,

Foundation Game Design with HTML5 and JavaScript - Rex van der Spuy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1430247169
  • Hi @mystx, welcome to the forums! :)

I gave it a play quickly. Like you say, it's still very basic, but here are my thoughts on it.

At the very start I had some issues with sprites disappearing and random stuff happening. I later realized that there was some kind of downloading still happening. I'm not sure why/how this works but it was very weird to play and I almost gave up trying.

Here is a list of wants:
    - To be able to use the arrow keys rather than WASD
    - Feedback for when my ship gets hit
    - Sounds that is not so loud...almost blew out an ear drum. 0.o

Other than that I dig the little ship, especially the slight tilt it has when moving sideways. I also liked the music. :)

Keep it up! :)
  • I figured the ship disappearing when moving was some kind of downloading... Could you pre-load it before letting players in to play? Other than that yeah, what Rigormortis said. The art is suitably cool, now try and make the game feel more organic, give it a signature :)

Good luck with it! :)
  • Hi!

Thanks guys,
    Ill add a preloader for the game - been testing it locally on my laptop and everything loads immediatly.
    ill add arrow keys and some sounds for when the ship gets hit. also will add that things blow up when they die
    and work on the sound levels.

Regards,
    Jason
  • I found a small bug. When I hold space to continue firing and I move my ship, the ship doesn't return to the topdown view when I stop.
  • edited
    @mystx I like it a lot. The soundFX is spot on. The music is great and the pew pew has a bass effect that makes my amp and speakers go, oooooh-aaaaah. I do want to ask for a minor improvement if possible. Can we have some kind of reward for our hard work? Maybe a big busted robotic babe wearing a ietsie bietsie tiny bikini, while leaning over a bar counter or something? Eerm. You get my drift? :) Some eye candy on my way to level 2?