[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 26th February

edited in Events
When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Wednesday 26 February

Where: Microsoft offices, Engen building 2nd floor, Golf Park, Mowbray:
https://maps.google.co.za/maps?q=-33.947185,18.4914

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda:
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet, greet, and eat.
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)
- Why Engine Building Is Useful (But Probably Not For You) ~ [20 mins] - @Nandrew
- 8 Frag and what they do ~10 mins - @rolfweimar
- Sunrise Productions and plans for the future ~10 mins - @DavidHecker

- Focused Feeback (10 min slots) x3
- zX: Hyperblast - @Karuji
- Tasty Poison Games mysterious demo - @steve

- Open Demo Floor

This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

Drinks/Food/Chat/Game demos afterwards at The Great Wizoo - bring your games to be played on the screen!

Indicate your attendance on the Facebook event and Meetup page!

Comments

• Seems appropriate to do a Social Media Marketing 101 talk :)
    Thanked by 1RangerJo
  • Can I grab a spot to show zX would be great to get some feedback from the CT peeps :D
  • would love to see zX
  • Please record the marketing talk :)
  • Can I propose something different for the post meet up?

Instead of going Banana Jam, we could go to the Great Wazoo in Rondebosch?
    We can set up our demos there and play with a stroh rum and dry lemon in both hands.
    They also have a big screen we can use.

I've chatted to the manager and she says we can use the space for free.
    They've just opened so I think that they are trying to get their name out.

The owner also runs the Bowls Club in JHB if that means anything to anyone.
    I think they are infamous for dirt cheap drinks, so even indies can afford to buy more than one...
  • Sounds cool but do you have more info on Great Wazoo - I tried searching for deets but came up with zip so it looks like they don't have an online presence yet
  • edited
    Their online presence is rather underwhelming.
    https://www.facebook.com/GreatWizoo?fref=ts
  • I like the idea of being able to play games after the meetup... especially if some of us want to invite friends who are interested in seeing the games we are making, but don't want to hang out at Microsoft.

Never been to the Great Wizoo, but it appears to be a bit closer to the Microsoft offices than Banana Jam.

Thanked by 1dammit
  • Can I also suggest that we try something different for the intros? I've heard people say that it feels like everyone has to justify why they're there and it might land up doing the opposite of what it's intended to do: let us get to know each other.

If anything, I'd say we could just say our names (which would also be much quicker)/online nicks.
    Thanked by 2francoisvn Boysano
  • dammit said:
    Can I also suggest that we try something different for the intros? I've heard people say that it feels like everyone has to justify why they're there and it might land up doing the opposite of what it's intended to do: let us get to know each other.

If anything, I'd say we could just say our names (which would also be much quicker)/online nicks.
  • I think the intros tend to collect cruft as people embellish them. It should literally just be name, nick, game you're working on (if you are) or thing you do now (if not working on a game).

But if we have nametags that all goes blargh anyway. I'll try to remember to bring nametags.
  • Would love to get some crit on our latest game which will be going to Kickstarter and Greenlight. Can TPG be slotted in to demo?
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • Does anyone have a photo of a Cape Town meet I and use to put an image on the home page for the event?
  • @Fengol There are a few decent ones in the FB album for Cape Town Meetups :).
  • @Bensonance Can I use them on the MGSA homepage?
  • @Fengol,

Actually, @Merrik has better ones in one of FB albums for Cape Town :). Just ask him, I'm sure it'll be fine :). But yeah, using the MGSA ones should be fine for now :).
  • How will @dammit's talk differ from her previous one? Or is it the same talk back by popular demand?
  • @ChristopherM - My previous talk was specifically focused on SEO (search engine optimisation) which is one aspect of digital marketing. Social Media Marketing is another aspect.
    Thanked by 1ChristopherM
  • Dibs on a feedback slot for Stoic.
  • Anyone else going to give a talk? Otherwise two other slots for Focused feedback will open up :).
  • I could give a talk on the value of building your own engines.

It would focus on areas of strength and appropriateness for this approach, then outlining why these areas don't typically intersect with the goals of most indie devs.

So, uhhh ... "Why Engine Building Is Useful (But Probably Not For You)"
  • Bensonance said:
    Actually, @Merrik has better ones in one of FB albums for Cape Town :). Just ask him, I'm sure it'll be fine :).
    Go for it.
  • "Mysterious demo"! lol!
    Just want you guys to be the first to hear the title is all...
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • They released a 1 hour 24 minute documentary on the making of The Last of Us called Grounded. We could show it the meetup, but it may be too long. Maybe we can organise some other time/event to show it at? I have been watching it, it's pretty good, I think everyone will enjoy it.
  • Nandrew said:
    I could give a talk on the value of building your own engines.

It would focus on areas of strength and appropriateness for this approach, then outlining why these areas don't typically intersect with the goals of most indie devs.

So, uhhh ... "Why Engine Building Is Useful (But Probably Not For You)"
    Building your engine has its place, I wrote my own engine for both my masters, and a space combat game I am working on. My experience from that is that only write your own engine if you /need/ to. My space combat game has a system of massive scale, where you can be looking over the whole star system, or zoom right into the room in a spaceship you are in. Maybe I could get something like that working in a publicly available game engine, but it seemed so different to the kind of stuff game engines out there offer, that I just decided to make my own, and so far it is working well.
  • Hate to do this, but I don't think I'm going to have my talk ready by Wednesday - Work kinda exploded and I still haven't gotten round to the research I wanted to do. Sorry!
  • I'm not going to be there, wife's birthday. Who wants to take over my looming duties?
  • I'm not going to be there, wife's birthday. Who wants to take over my looming duties?
    I figured I'd be designated loomer. Anyone else keen?
  • I could maybe do a very inpromptu talk/discussion about depression and the mental health surrounding game dev? Like probably won't even have time for slides, hence discussion format.

Also, I'll hopefully have the first cadence trailer to show.
    Thanked by 2Merrik Karuji
  • Is it possible to organise a decent mic for the meetup? It would be nice to get some decent audio to go along with the video.
  • Hi, I work at a cape town based game development company called 8frag. My boss would like to give a talk about 8frag and what we do here at the game dev meetup. Is there some time in the schedule for him to say a few words?
  • Hey can I just refresh the suggestion of going to the Great Wizoo instead of Banana Jam?
    As delicious as BJ's craft beers are I think it would be way cooler drink beers while playing each others games?
    I'm pretty keen to smash some bros in the face with Bronan the Brobarian. I'd also love to invite friends/strangers who aren't interested in game dev to come play the games we're working on. What do you think? I need to confirm with the bar manager.

Also, JOUST!!!!
  • Yeah, keen to check out Great Wizoo and it's close to the Microsoft offices (certainly closer than BJ) which is handy
  • @Rolfweimar Sure, we can give him a slot, is 10min enough?
  • I'm okay to try a different venue for heading to afterwards, but I'd like to keep the meetups self-contained: Nobody should feel they HAVE TO go to a different place afterward to get their games played by attendees, nor should we cut short the meetup in order to go set up hardware for people who don't want be at the thing in the first place.
    Thanked by 1Merrik
  • @dislekcia that's a good point that I hadn't considered.
    I think developers will still get the most concentrated/constructive feedback at the meet ups since I don't think that many people will make it to drinks after. I dunno, it might be a fuck up, but it might be fun.
  • @Merrik: I think as long as we keep it at "Drinks after the meetup at *location*" and then whatever happens there happens, we should be able to prevent expectations from the meetup being shunted across.
  • Doesn't look like my face is going to be better by Wednesday (Bell's Palsy, and as of right now, the left side is still completely unresponsive, yay!) so I think we'll be skipping this one. :(
  • Doesn't look like my face is going to be better by Wednesday (Bell's Palsy, and as of right now, the left side is still completely unresponsive, yay!) so I think we'll be skipping this one. :(
    :(
  • @LexAquillia: Yes, 10 minutes is fine. Thanks!
  • @TheFuntastic would be an excellent talk, or discussion ;)
  • @TheFuntastic I like the general idea, I'm a little more wary about the impromptu part.

This conversation has come up before in dev talks (it's even shown up in GDC), so it's worthy enough. But that's a bit double-edged, because I think that further conversation about it should be ... meatier. Focused. Polished.

If you're sure you want to try something this month with minimum prep required, I agree that a discussion structure can be cool. Just find what others have written about this topic and get yourself some solid anchor points for conversation, because I think in theory you'll have to be prepared to hold up most, if not all, of the discussion that ensues, and know the structure well enough to direct the flow. Because I'm about 75% sure that at some point at least one person is going to start coming out with stuff that's personally cathartic / indulgent but adds little value to the group, and you'll have to trim that stuff graciously.

TL;DR ok cool tread carefully bro.
  • Is it too late to get a 10-ish minute slot to talk about Sunrise and the stuff we've been working on and have planned for the future?
  • Hmm so this isn't my meetup city, but I'd recommend @TheFuntastic pushes back his talk to next month and then you can have ten minutes each from @rolfweimer + 8Frag and @DavidHecker + Sunrise?
  • I think maybe I'd also prefer to move Stoic out of the "focused feedback" slot and give it a show on the open floor, to focus on my other talk and make room for other project discussions like above.
  • Yeah, cool. Put me down for next month. I have a pretty good idea of the core message I want to get across, with concrete examples from well known devs. But yeah some time to do it properly might be a good idea to make sure the message doesn't get lost.
  • Cadence trailer - It exists! I'll bring it along. Though sound is going to be pretty important...

Also I might be able to bring along a decent mic for recording. Though actually being a proper mic its a bit more complicated than just plugging it into a microphone jack.
    Thanked by 2Bensonance Merrik
  • Would a guitar hero mic solve this problem? I believe it's a plug-and-play USB device, though I stand to be corrected here.
  • @dammit: I totally hadn't thought of that before... Uh, maybe? Can someone test it out and see?