Textureless 3d art

edited in Tutorials
The murder mystery sim I'm doing uses textureless 3D, so was very pleased to see it being used to such good effect in this tutorial:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/TomasSala/20140206/210238/Making_textureless_3D_work_a_howtomaking_of_guide.php

Comments

• edited
    This is just brilliant.

I've been thinking a lot about this, and I've been trying to do it personally with jam titles and short projects.

Fantastic art is often in the simplification, in the sorting of what is important vs what is noise, and cutting out stuff you don't need until you're left with the essence or energy of what something is. And then to take what's left, and make that really powerful.

[edit] And the thinking for it is a lot more work, to me, but once you get past that and have a visual language you're happy with, you can save enormous amounts of time on art production if you're mass producing art content.
  • This is bloody fantastic! So beautiful! This is definitely something I'd like to play with when I get the chance to. Echo..... ECHO...> :O
  • OMG Strumpy is SO brilliant! Just from reading the first 2 pages I had a custom shader up and running!
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • wow can strumpy be used to make shader code for GMS also?

really amazing and a good article