Maintenance 04/02/2014

edited in Association News
Better searching is now available.

I've removed the default Vanilla forums search function and replaced it with a Google Custom Search (you might have to force refresh your browser to see it in the top-right corner).

Unfortunately there are adverts in the search until such time as we pay for the service and I can turn them off.

I know the styling is a little off, but I'll fix that as I figure out why it's looking like that.

Enjoy! Feedback welcome.
Thanked by 3Bensonance Tuism dammit

Comments

• Great! Just remove the box around the whole thing altogether and it's perfect :) No need to worry about ads, Google has my support :P
  • That's what I'm trying to figure out. It's not me; Google is putting it there.
  • edited
    Um. It's your css.

In custom.css, check at line 80-something.
    .Search {

and remove the
    border: 1px solid #CCCCCC;

Also, in the search results, the header image isn't appearing. It's trying to load http://makegamesa.com/makegamesSA_logo_wiki.png which apparently doesn't exist.

The search results are great though. Yay!
    Thanked by 2Tuism hanli
  • I still feel there is a bit to much text on the landing page...
  • Thanks @Elyaradine, any idea how I can fix the mis-alignment between the textbox and button?
  • edited
    Not so much a "fix" as playing with magic numbers until they work, but:

In default.css, around line 132, change the
    margin-top: 2px;

to
    margin-top: 4px;

That'll work, but... there's probably a more elegant way that's actually a fix, but that'd require digging through all of the inheritance and stuff that's going on, which is more time than I can afford to look at that right now. The problem with magic number fixes is that they're sometimes inconsistent between browsers. But if it works, yay! :P
  • Um. I've mentioned this before, but any chance of implementing ignore lists? Maybe something like this?
  • edited
    @Elyaradine Done! Go to your profile page and on the left side menu click 'Edit Ignored User List'

I would prefer to use Ignore but I still need to upgrade the site to 2.1
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • edited
    Uh. I'm not sure ignore lists are something we should allow or encourage. Increasingly, we have significantly divided discussions on threads - that should be treasured, not avoided.

This is a community - being exposed to other people's opinions is really important. If anything, the more alternative and different the better. Only being exposed to people you agree with is a path that might lead to ignorance and that's pretty dangerous.
    Thanked by 2Karuji Tuism
  • @Fengol I like the committee member badge *I see what you did there*
    Thanked by 1Thelangfordian
  • edited
    What badge?

edit: saw the other thread :D <3
  • @Tuism click my name, scroll down.
  • Fengol said:
    @Elyaradine Done! Go to your profile page and on the left side menu click 'Edit Ignored User List'

I would prefer to use Ignore but I still need to upgrade the site to 2.1
    Thank youuuu!
  • edg3 said:
    I still feel there is a bit to much text on the landing page...
    I have provided Fengol with new home page copy for us to try. I'm sure he'll implement as soon as he gets a chance.
    Thanked by 1edg3