[Event] WGSA Presents Andrew S. Walsh - 10-11 May 2014 JHB, 17-18 May 2014 CT

Comments

• I am so excited for this I cannot even.
  • It was very good. :) I... think it was more useful to writers who're getting into game development than it was for game devs wanting to write better, but it was great either way.
  • edited
    Yeah, it was more writer-focused (who'da thunk it at a WGSA event? :P ), but there was plenty applicable to designers too in terms of building your game with narrative in mind, and what you can expect from a games writer if you do decide to take one on board.

It also helps that Mr. Walsh is an immaculate speaker. You guys are in for a treat. :3
  • edited
    From my point of view I walked out knowing things I should have done differently in past projects and a set of things to change in the current ones. That's a win for me.
  • Btw, what do we need to bring? Laptops? Writing paper? Pens? etc?
  • edited
    Yep! You bring whatever material you'd use for writing (I brought paper and pens because my laptop's a beast and the battery doesn't last long), and they supply food. :)
  • Okay, cool :) Thanks. I'm not sure which I prefer but I'll bring tech and paper and see what happens :)
  • That was a pretty awesome weekend. Andrew is an incredibly nice guy who has some great experience and the solid advice to offer in a whole bunch of roles.

I would have really liked more practical writing exercises, rather than more loosely game design exercises, but I understand that the target for the talk was more experienced writers. Guess I'll just wait for the writing comps and look out for the expert writers to show us whats what ;)
    Thanked by 2Nandrew AngryMoose
  • That was a beautiful, well-rounded and informative weekend, and Andy has the cool confidence of someone who has been doing awesome stuff for two decades. He is also a phenomenally relatable chap in general and actually understands a heckuvalot about the business outside his particular role as a writer. It was a pleasure.
    Thanked by 1AngryMoose