[Event] WGSA Presents Andrew S. Walsh - 10-11 May 2014 JHB, 17-18 May 2014 CT

edited in Events
I'm reposting what I received in an email yesterday from the Writer's Guild of SA. They're bringing Andrew Walsh down to Joburg and Cape Town in May to give a workshop on the topic of writing dialogue and narrative in an interactive medium... pretty sweet!!!

WGSA is proud to announce our next international workshop:

From London and the depth of cyberspace, we welcome writer/director Andrew S Walsh to JOHANNESBURG and CAPE TOWN!

An award winning video games writer with credits which include the immensely popular Prince of Persia, Need for Speed, Lego City and various Harry Potter episodes, Andy Walsh will share not only his experience as a writer, director, producer and story consultant, but is also a one-stop shop from concept to pre-production; from scripting to voice, performance capture and localisation. In addition, he has credits in film, television, radio, stage plays and animation, offering local writers the full package of learning how to spread their talents from film and TV across the full spectrum of new media.

Venue:
To be announced
Dates
Johannesburg: 10 to 11 May 2014
Cape Town: 17 to 18 May 2014
Times
8h00 to 17h00

Workshop content:
Writing dialogue and narrative in an interactive medium

This two day workshop will mix talks with workshop exercises which cover a wide range of interactive writing challenges from concept to shipping. Learn to recognise and analyse the different challenges offered by the various platforms, narrative genres and gameplay genres that face writers working in this medium. If you'd like to know the jargon, common pitfalls, career paths, formats, narrative structures, speech design principles and to get the chance to test out these elements, then this is the workshop for you. Organised by an industry veteran with experience on more than 60 game titles as well as film and television, these two days will contain vital information for those new to writing, established writers wishing to examine a new approach to their work and anyone wanting to dig deeper into the impact of interactive narratives.

Andrew S. Walsh is an award-winning writer/director with credits across film, television, theatre, radio, animation and videogames. A man of many job titles he has appeared as writer, director, speech designer, narrative designer, narrative producer, story consultant, script editor, motion capture director, camera director, voice director, story producer, story liner, story editor and once mysteriously as 't - by', something which he can only attribute to being a tea drinking Englishman.
To date he has worked on more than sixty videogames including Fable Legends, Prince of Persia, Harry Potter, Risen, XCom, Dirk Dagger and the Fallen Idol, Medieval II: Total War, SOCOM, LEGO City:Undercover, X3 Reunion, and the new Need for Speed : Most Wanted. His film work includes the English version of Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva, while in television he has learned a lot about accents having worked on projects involving Yorkshire men in woolly hats (Emmerdale), Geordie school kids (Byker Grove), a bunch of Canadians (Risk) and variety of others too diverse to mention. His latest play, an adaptation of the Wind in the Willows, was performed in London over the summer. He won the Writers' Guild of Great Britain Videogames Award for Prince of Persia in 2009 which made him very happy. He hopes to continue doing things like this because he appears to be good at them.
He is currently working as Lead Writer at Lionhead Studios, and is developing projects for the stage and screen for Sixteenfeet.co.uk . In any spare time he is the Treasurer of the Writers' Guild of Great Britain.

Bookings essential admin@writersguildsa.org. Limited space available - so BOOK YOUR SPACE NOW!!!!

Pay before 28 February 2014 and qualify for the EARLY PAYMENT special.

Price list:
  • Standard price for members R3500
  • Standard price for non-members R5000
  • Early payment (before 31 December): members R2800
  • Early payment (before 31 December): non-members R4000
  • Bulk sales - 5 or more: Individuals and Corporate - all attendees to become members R2500
  • Bulk sales - 10 or more: Corporate - all attendees not members R3000

Comments

• Oh. Hell. Yes.
  • edited
    Perhaps MGSA wants to organize a bulk deal for all of those interested?

• Perhaps MGSA wants to organize a bulk deal for all of those interested?
    We'd be happy to coordinate a bulk sale. Mention on this thread if you're going and I will PM you about payment details.
  • edited
    Bulk sales require members to join the WGSA though, as far as I understand. Previous events have worked this way. Am I mistaken?

EDIT: Oh sorry, I see, ignore me.
  • Corporate - all attendees not members
    I'm hoping means we don't have to
  • All those interested should *heart* @Fengol's post :)
  • It would be awesome if that 10-member deal could span the two venues. It'll be much easier to get 10 people that way. Maybe that's something they'd be able to accommodate for us?
  • @Fengol: I've emailed Thea personally to reserve a spot and pay her, but I wanted to first wait and see if you've been in touch with them about sorting out something for the group. Any info from your side?

Also, where's the Cape Town love?
  • @AngryMoose - Would love to, but it's a little out of my price bracket :(
  • I'm thinking about going, but it seems like a lot of money. Do you guys think it would be worth it?
  • I've emailed the organisers to see if we can get a group booking to cover CT and JHB, still waiting on a response.
  • I'm thinking about going, but it seems like a lot of money. Do you guys think it would be worth it?
    Yes.
  • edited
    @Rigormortis: There are volumes upon volumes of books about writing and narrative. Many of them are stellar, and you can still learn a lot about them. But they're for linear media like novels and film, which makes them a little (only a little!) less relevant.

I feel as if learning writing from someone who actually writes for games means than you can talk to someone who knows that:
    • you're not writing alone. You are working with a whole team of people!
    • everything you write, costs. Add a level? Add another character? Branch a plot? They all add to your production costs.
    • you're not necessarily writing to develop characters; you may be writing to manipulate the player herself, and that's arguably much harder.
    • A WHOLE BUNCH OF STUFF I DON'T EVEN KNOW I DON'T KNOW
    I mean, if I look at movie/advertising art vs game art, they share a lot of core principles, but there's enough different that I don't think I could cover it in one workshop. I can only imagine that it's the same thing in writing.

[edit] Ninja'd. ;)
  • Alright People, spoken to the Writers Guild, we qualify for bulk discount provided we send 10 people in total to either venue (so 5 CT 5 JHB works). If you want the discount let me know you are going and I'll forward the details to the Guild
  • It sounds very cool... And very tempting... But yes steep price for something I'm not even sure what I'm learning about... I know I sound horribly unlearned on this, but it's true @_@

Who's in the Writer's Guild here?
  • Tuism said:
    It sounds very cool... And very tempting... But yes steep price for something I'm not even sure what I'm learning about... I know I sound horribly unlearned on this, but it's true @_@

Who's in the Writer's Guild here?
    I'm not, but I've attended a similar event organised by them a year or so back (together with @AngryMoose and @Bensonance), and I would consider even that one to have been usefully enlightening, despite the fact that it wasn't even specifically game development related like this one is. I have no doubt this will be worth the investment.

With that, @LexAquillia: Sign me up! :D Do you need me to PM/email you any details?
    Thanked by 1AngryMoose
  • @Chippit, yes please DM your details :)
  • Ok guys, I have four people who've told me they are interested, we need 6 more if we want the discount, cut-off to let me know is Friday 14th Feb
  • I'll give this serious consideration! Will tell you by the deadline!
  • Strongly inclined. Would probably like. I'll DM.
  • @LexAquillia I am keen to go. I am a full member of the guild already, can book with you guys if that helps bring the price down for all.
    Thanked by 3Tuism Chippit jsgbailey
  • I'd love to go to this -_-. Unfortunately my triple trifector of poverty: student; game designer; and game journalist is particularly draining of late :/.
  • Alright people, we got 8 confirmed people in (Thats with @tbulford and @Angrymoose), but only 1 from Cape Town, come on CT we can do better! Reminder deadline is 14th Feb! DM or mail me, posts on this thread and hearts don't count!
  • Just to echo @Chippit, we attended one of these workshops from last year that was given by David Freeman. His main focus was on script writing for movies / TV, but he has also written for some well known video games and the little things that we all picked up were well worth the cost for the 2 days.

If you are at all interested in any form of game writing, be it plot, story, character, dialog, etc., then spending 2 full days in a focussed environment with Andrew Walsh where you can pick his brain is worth much, much more than the Rands that you'll be paying; even if you only walk away with one or two great ideas that allow you to make your next project that much better.

Future-you will thank you for dusting off your credit card and using it to level up your skills; not something that is always easy to do down here at the bottom of Africa!
  • edited
    What's the price we're looking at, R3000 as non-members right? Or can we convert to members (which entails what, exactly?) and get R2500?

I got other people/person interested too :) So we should get 10 no prob.
  • As far as I remember, a membership costs about R1,000. So becoming a member just for the discount won't save you money on this single event, but it could have other benefits that I'm not clued up on.

(I'd be signing up as a non-member.)
  • This looks really cool. @LexAquillia I've sent you a PM, I'm in!
  • Reminder that this closes today, we've got the 10! But if you still wanna come, let me know before 13:00 !
    Thanked by 1AngryMoose
  • OH CRAP. I was coming here to say I'm in, but then I looked at my calendar and have a trip planned that weekend. OMGAREYOUKIDDINGME :(
  • Ok Guys, It's been decided that the simplest way to deal with this is for you to book directly with the Writers Guild. I've sent through a list of the people who said they are attending, so just contact them and mention you are from MGSA and they will advise on how you can pay :)
  • Great, thanks Nick!
  • According to WGSA's latest email, it looks like this a trimmed version of event is now available in Durban as well. They don't specify the differences, but it may be worthwhile for Durbs members here to investigate! It could well be one of their knowledge share sessions.

Ugly paste from the mail:

Date and Time:
    DURBAN: 7 May 2014 from 18h00 to 22h00,
    JOHANNESBURG: 10 to 11 May 2014
    CAPE TOWN: 17 to 18 May 2014

Standard price
    • Members R3500 / DBN - R900
    • Non-members R5000 / DBN - R1300
    Early payment (before 31 March)
    • Members R2800 / DBN - R700
    • Non-members R4000 / DBN - R1000
    Bulk sales - 5 or more: Individuals and Corporate
    • All attendees to become members R2500 / DBN - R650
    • All attendees not members R3000 / DBN - R750
  • Booked and paid going to be legendary.
  • Whoops! Should have checked if it was posted before
    *hangs head in shame*
  • No need to hang your head :) Join the discussion
  • Booked too, by the way. I was awaiting some kind of receipt, or a ticket or whatever, but apparently they're doing those manually so it's taking a while.
  • I'm also still tapping my fingers on the desk about this. Anybody else got their tickets yet?
  • Durban ... the Red Headed Step Child of South Africa ... *sigh* ... time to relocate methinks!!! 8-{
  • Looks like there are some sponsored spots up for grab to attend the Cape Town workshop for you lucky Western Cape folks!

[From WGSA email]

WESGRO is supporting 10 placements for individuals and companies based in the Western Cape (one employee per company)

Please send the following by 16h00 Friday 09 May 2014 to asanda@wesgro.co.za
    Company Name
    Name of representative and ID number
    Proof of company registration / trading and proof of company address
    A paragraph stating why the employee wants to attend written by the employee
    Only ID number if a Sole Proprietor
    Please Note:

Attendance of both days is mandatory as is signing a register – nonattendance will subject the company / individual to possible removal from other such missions

Cost is free to employee who is a WGSA member otherwise the employee or company must pay the WGSA R 500 difference or join the WGSA – contact admin@writersguildsa.org about joining

The above terms and conditions are subject to review and the offer may change depending on the response.

Wesgro Film welcomes a follow up paragraph after the event stating what the master class has done for your company.

For further information please email: asanda@wesgro.co.za
  • Can... I get a spot if I fly down to CT for the weekend? XD
  • So who is all going, and who knows where the hell to park for the JHB one?
  • Isn't it at wits?
  • It is at Wits. The parking guards have been informed about it, and the parking lot directly outside Digital Arts will be open for us. Once at Wits I will take everyone upstairs to the venue. There are more people than we can seat in our Seminar room, so we will be using a bigger lecture venue. It is still in the same place though :)
  • Yip it's at wits normally you can park inside.
  • tbulford said:
    Isn't it at wits?
    Well, Wits is slightly larger and has substantially more locations than just some petrol station on a corner somewhere, and not everyone has been there before :) Might as well say that "It's in town."!
  • edited
    The WSOA has an entrance on Jorissen Street, into Station. In town.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@-26.1929533,28.0323178,20z

I imagine we can just jump around and wave our arms wildly, and someone will find us. :P
  • @AngryMoose Sorry, didn't realize you hadn't been to us before :)
    digital arts map.JPG
    889 x 676 - 125K
  • Thanks guys! So basically, we should just go down Station St. and we'll find our way :)
  • tbulford said:
    Isn't it at wits?
    Well, Wits is slightly larger and has substantially more locations than just some petrol station on a corner somewhere, and not everyone has been there before :) Might as well say that "It's in town."!
    True enough I did mean at the Digital Arts center. Guess it's just the normal "Wits". See you there tomorrow.