[Event] Global Game Jam 2014 - Games

edited in Events
Hi guys,

I'd just like to say a big thank you to everyone involved, it was a really great experience and definitely worth the time!

So i thought I'd create the thread for everyone to share their games, following the GGJ theme:

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are"

EDIT: @Fengol has a decent list in the reply to this post. See below for games!

Comments

• edited
    From the Global Game Jame website

Cape Town
    • Architorture - A game of minion mayhem. You try to build what you think the Master desires in your minions image. The minions were tasked to build the master an evil lair with torture devices. Unfortunately for the master, the minions were left in charge of drawing up the blueprints, as well as building them. The minions have an odd sense of what is evil, they also may be a little confused about their instructions, they seem to think the master would like what they like.

• image Bias - Each civilization has it's own priorities. Wood is a cherished part of life for the nature lovers, but is simply fuel for the industry magnates. Who you are affects how you see the parts that make up your world.

• image Depth Charge - A touchscreen physics platformer, taking the role of an explosives expert and using the one thing you know best to traverse the tunnels and warrens of the deepest unforgiving mines. Get ready for spelunking and explosions.

• image Dungeon Throne - You are the overlord of a dungeon, trying to survive for as long as possible. Manage your creatures as well as you can, before they turn on you. Oculus Rift Supported

• image Fists of Patience - A game about aggressively not punching people. Winners don't use fists.

• image Glorious Nation - Welcome treacherous swi... um... visitor, to our illustrious nation. Glorious Nation is a city-building game from the point of view of a malevolent dictator. Desperate for tourism, your job is to keep the holiday makers happy while making sure your riotous, ungrateful locals stay out the way. How to play: Excavate filthy slums to make room for your glorious expansion Build hotels to generate money from tourists Build police stations to keep your people in line

• image Mundane Mayhem - This top-down, single-screen, 4-player battle arena will have you sitting on the edge of your seat. The simple pixel art style allows for more time to appreciate the multiple character skills and power-ups that will help you defeat your friends champions!
    • Poppin' Pills [Boardgame] - Welcome to Clarence Mental Hospital, where it’s not only the patients that have some personality quirks and everyone’s been popping pills. Of course, the hospital’s reputation has gotten the attention of the local inspector and he’ll be round in the morning to check the premises. You need to collect all the pills you have been stashing around the building before he arrives, and before everyone else has gotten to theirs.

• image Rapscallion Racing - A local multiplayer competitive racing platformer.

• image Redshift - Relativity messes with pretty much everything in space, especially high-speed territorial conflict. Networked strategic space sim combat thing. Building the simulation proved technically challenging, so the graphics being built for the game went ahead and became a game of their own, given the lack of gameplay in this Redshift. Hence the other Redshift ;)

• image Redshift Redshift is local multiplayer arena space combat game.

• image Shot in the Dark - The game is a top-down, team-based deathmatch shooter. Players on the winning team have a disadvantage: all players appear to be on the same team, making it difficult to know who to shoot.

• image Under a glass bell - Players receive instructions from a mysterious figure. Their goal is to be the one to survive while being given hints and misleading information one at a time over the phone.
    Johannesburg
    • ArViBluMore - This is a board game about spotting the traitor in your team. Download rules bellow.

• image Bit Cloud - Part of the cloud has gone down! It is now being used as a local server. The creatures called Jammers are stuck between the human world and the cloud. Help the Jammers get deployed back to the cloud by connecting to various Wifi and bluetooth networks to capture and fight Jammers. Jammers capture wild Jammers over Wifi and fight friend's Jammers over Bluetooth. Jammers gain and lose data packets by fighting or capturing other Jammers. Jammers with 100 packets get deployed to the cloud and live happily ever after. For future completion: 1. Fix bluetooth part of game to actually fight after pairing. (Time-wasting evil thing!) 2. Add ability to own multiple jammers. 3. Add complexity to battle mechanics. 4. Add content. 5. Add a total score - so each individual knows how many jammers they have saved.
    • Colour Cult Clash: A Party Game - Colour Cult Clash is a quick to learn party game designed to break the ice and accelerate conversation by bamboozling your friends , family and strangers, into a cult (,HILARIOUS!). Premise: The Players are divided into two teams or "cults". Without know who is in which cult, players must try converting whoever they can to their cult by making them preform a specific action or "mindtricking" them, through conversation. Every player has their own mindtrick and they can range from high-5s to talking about a grandparent. There is no limit to the amount of times a player can be converted to and from a cult. But players can only convert others into their current cult. Collect signatures to rack up points. For more details see "full" rules bellow. Note: Image bellow is a flyer which can be handed out at parties to initiate a game of "Colour Cult Clash". Thank you so much for you time. See you next year!

• image Demon Hunter - You are a girl with a katana, kill the demons. WASD to move, mouse to aim, left mouse button to attack.

• image Echo: A Journey Within, Without. - Echo is found underground, A world of endless night. The Echo creatures learnt to live Without their sense of sight. Become a giant in the land, Conquering the small. But most of all, conquer the night, Echolocating all!
    • image Entwined - The game is about twins who cannot touch, they set on a quest to lift their curse. They have to navigate mazes, requiring them to reach their respective exits. Controls: Arrow keys. The red twin merely needs to solve the maze, whereas the blue twin needs to solve the maze while avoiding his red twin (who is stuck in a time loop from the first pass)
    • Hex-a-Shoot - A board game played on Hexagons and a Hexagon board. Players Fight to take each other out!

• image Nimble Navigator - Buzzing down a damp, dark alley, you discover a passed out Elvis impersonator and gorge yourself on his adrenaline (and alcohol) enriched blood. In the life of a mosquito, only the nimblest of navigators can survive his angry swipes...

• image Puzzle Box Saga - This is a thinking game that makes you use all your mental resources to solve the different puzzles!

• image Spider vs Dragon - You are caught in an epic space battle between Spider and Dragon. Dragon destroys the web by breathing fire onto it. Spider repairs the web. Avoid the holes made by Dragon to avoid being sucked into space (if you fly over a hole you die) or fix the web with Spider. Survive as long as you can. Use the left and right arrow keys to switch lanes. Red globes make you die and be reincarnated as Dragon. Green globes make you die and be reincarnated as Spider. The timer on the left indicates how long you stay as Spider or Dragon for before you turn back into Human. The world is seen differently when you change between Human, Dragon and Spider. You also affect the world differently as each character. Dragon destroys it, Spider repairs it and Human just tries to survive.

• image The Maltese Foursome - The Maltese Foursome is a frantic and crazy crime solving local multiplayer game! Interrogate your suspects to identify the killer and tranquilize your opponents to hamper their movements. When you're sure about the identity of the killer, accuse them! But be careful it's the correct suspect or the real killer might escape!

• image Transderence - Transference n. defense mechanism whereby a person projects their own feelings onto others ... we see things as we are ...

• image Trivarient - Help the Chromatically imparted triplets escape the evil Dr Pantone's chromatic labyrinth.
    • image Twisted Dwarves - Elevator pitch: rock & paper & scissors meets super meat boy. Grumpy, Sleepy and Dopy has been banished from fantasy land due to their various addictions and greed, help them to get back.
    Vanderbijlpark
    • image Rhino Rush - This game is about the life of a young innocent rhino that loves his mommy and butterflies.
  • Just putting this here, will edit when I get home and can add a web build and such :)

http://globalgamejam.org/2014/games/demon-hunter
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • edited
    Here's myself, Elyaradine, DarkRa88it, and Gian (Puffo)'s game Echo: Web build: http://www.tuism.com/echo

Echo is found underground,
    A world of endless night.
    The Echo creatures learnt to live
    Without their sense of sight.

Become a giant in the land,
    Conquering the small.
    But most of all, conquer the night,
    Echolocating all!

Tons and tons of thanks to all the team members, I daresay we all contributed fucktons to this, and we still got just a little bit of push that can take it from cool to AWESOMEBALLS :)

Thanks again everyone for #ggj14 #ggjsouthafrica, it was truly fantastic! :D
  • Retief Fourie and my submission was Entwined, a maze puzzle style game where you play two characters navigating a level in turns, but the twist is that on the second phase, the first characters movements persist, and the two characters may not touch each other.

http://globalgamejam.org/2014/games/entwined

Big thanks to all those who organised. Big ups to the other devs, you guys are too damn good! The ideas and prototypes were amazing!
    Thanked by 2Tuism Bensonance
  • Retief Fourie and my submission was Entwined, a maze puzzle style game where you play two characters navigating a level in turns, but the twist is that on the second phase, the first characters movements persist, and the two characters may not touch each other.

http://globalgamejam.org/2014/games/entwined

Big thanks to all those who organised. Big ups to the other devs, you guys are too damn good! The ideas and prototypes were amazing!
    Hey guys, I'm the other guy that worked on Entwined. Also now actively participating in the discussions :)

From my side, thanks again to all the organisers, what an epic event!
    Also congratulations to all the devs /artist / other people. Great ideas, great games, great weekend!
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • edited
    Updated again, with images. What happened to the games like Critter and the Lab Rats board game? I also see there are 2 Redshifts, but I don't know which is the correct one.

28 Games! Fantastic guys and girls!
  • @Fengol: Lab rats got renamed to Poppin' Pills :)
  • Well done guys! Loved the vibe at the Joburg jam - thanks for making me feel so welcome and letting me play with your games. If any of you feel like coming through next Saturday, lazygamer is having a community get together in joburg and you're all welcome to join in the pizza and drinking :)
    http://www.lazygamer.net/event/lazygamer-joburg-get-together/
    Some really awesome games made in just 48 hours - hope some of them get expanded into even bigger games. I'm psyched about what I saw. My coverage is going up later today. Thanks again to all those who let me be your tester, I had a blast.
  • If anyone is interested here I uploaded all the tracks I made for the game jam....

https://soundcloud.com/crumpled_muppet/sets/global-game-jam-jan-2014

I think I might have left one track out...very short little pieces but I did them all in about +-6 hrs haha
  • Oh and awesome game jam! :D Had waaaaay too much fun....much more vibrant and busy than the last one !! :D yay for GGJ!
  • If anyone is interested here I uploaded all the tracks I made for the game jam....
    Haha, my favourite is the Nimble Navigator Elevator Music. So rad!
    Thanked by 1Tim_Harbour
  • It is amazing :)
  • edited
    Another wild article for #ggjsouthafrica appears! I think it's a webisode of some sort. Let's collect them all in this thread, mkay guys? :)

This one's by egamer.co.za

http://egamer.co.za/2014/01/week-indie-sa-prototypes-global-game-jam-octodad-released/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=egamerfeed
  • The link to Dungeon Throne is wrong in the top list. Should be http://globalgamejam.org/2014/games/dungeon-throne-oculus any chance you could update it in your post @Fengol
  • Portraits from the last minutes of the jam!

• did anyone pick up a 1TB Seagate External at the GGJ JHB?
  • Merrik said:

So who's who in this here photo? :/

• So who's who in this here photo? :/
    Beards. And the human-shaped organisms that support them.
    Thanked by 1Merrik
  • edited
    dislekcia said:
    Beards. And the human-shaped organisms that support them.
    Well, those are majestic beards... image I am a bit jelly over their majesty :P
  • Merrik said:
    I just feel that @BlackShipsFilltheSky should break out in the "I'm a lumber-jack song" for us.