[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 29th January

edited in Events
When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Wednesday 29th January

Where: Microsoft offices, Engen building 2nd floor, Golf Park, Mowbray:
https://maps.google.co.za/maps?q=-33.947185,18.4914

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda:
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet, greet, and eat.
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)
- 'Why the internet is wrong series - part 1': Candy Crush Saga trade mark saga.
- Khumba: The Game Trailer

- Lots and lots of Global Game Jam games!

- Open Demo Floor

This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

If you're attending, indicate so on the Facebook event!
Thanked by 1dammit

Comments

• Please also share the Facebook event - invite your friends to come try out all the really cool games we'll have after GGJ :)
  • Mmkay - so who's doing a talk this month?

Something art-based perhaps?
  • @Bensonance - Maybe we won't need talks this month? I'd imagine it might be more of a post-jam sharing event?
  • So I'm new here. What's this event all about anyway?
  • @SlasherX It's a gathering of people who are making games, and people who are interested in making games, getting together and chatting and keeping up-to-date with what is happening in the South African scene.

There are usually some talks, where people share their experiences. It's also an opportunity to demo any game you've been working on to get some feedback face-to-face.

This month the meetup will be right after the Global Game Jam, so there'll hopefully be a lot of post-mortems on how the each person's 48 hour jam game went.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • I also envision a change in this month's structure, but I'd like to see *one* talkie doing the rounds. I'll volunteer a topic on Monday if nothing else crops up! Before then, I'm a bit distracted by other matters.
  • Cool beans. I'll come check it out.
  • I'm tempted to do a talk on the Candy Crush Saga trade mark saga (TM) and why, generally speaking, the internet is wrong...
  • I'm tempted to do a talk on the Candy Crush Saga trade mark saga (TM) and why, generally speaking, the internet is wrong...
    That would be pretty damn fascinating.
  • I'm with @dislekcia I think it would be most interesting. I haven't followed the story for long so I'm probably on the Internet's side for now? :P Smells heavily like the Scrolls vs Elder Scrolls debacle... but worse.
  • Personally, I think King.com is a pile of festering shit that should be set on fire to erase the smell.

But I'm willing to attribute ignorance/stupidity for malice if necessary. I'd be interested to hear what the legal perspective on this actually is - as I understand it, King.com is seeking protection for marks that are far too broad and, eventually, worthless. But their legal team doesn't seem to think so, I'm curious to know why.
    Thanked by 1danelle
  • edited
    I suspect I'll stick to the "pile of festering shit" opinion on this one.

I'm also of the belief that just because something is "legal" doesn't make it right. And this "I must protect my trademark or I lose it" thing is so abused I really can't take it seriously.
  • Just to throw some fuel on the fire: http://junkyardsam.com/kingcopied/
  • And here's King.com talking about their "approach to IP" http://about.king.com/about/our-approach-to-ip

The festering continues.
  • what a sad state of affairs
  • edited
    dislekcia said:
    And here's King.com talking about their "approach to IP" http://about.king.com/about/our-approach-to-ip

The festering continues.
    Really. His examples of Time, Sun, Apple etc. are weak... King don't have a product/brand called "Candy". And when he says, "Otherwise, it would be much easier for future copycats to argue that use of the word “Saga” when related to games, was fair play" makes me a bit ill... OF COURSE, the use of the word Saga is fair play, ffs.

Also, are they going to go after Candy Land - a game created in the 1940s?

Seriously... you don't see Gaslamp and QFC bickering over the use of the word "Dungeons" - hell, not even lawsuit-happy Wizards of the Coast are beating people up over the use of the word "Dungeons".
  • edited
    looking forward to the meetup, would have like to demo my game, but I'm struggling with implementing my save/load functionality today in game maker.. I need to visit this more.
    [Edit] oo downloading GMS new tutorial now
  • @Boysano

Don't make bad excuses! :P (Sorry to to blunt) Your game is ready to show! It's at prototype level - you don't need a save/load system to get feedback on the gameplay :).

@LexAquilla

I've put you down as the talk for this meetup. Just edit my post if this changes.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Hi all, if there is a spare XBOX controller around for us to use. please bring it along, we are one short of 4.

Demoing Under A Glass Bell, really excited to see everyone's reaction

Check you all there!
  • SIJO Will be brining Khumba to be played, we have the 4/5 worlds done. OOoo.. and a trailer for feedback :D
  • @rumor Do you want a focused feedback slot for that? Otherwise you might be overwhelmed by Global Game Jam games :).
  • Are we going to go to Banana Jam for post meetup beer/tequila/pulled pork? <3
  • @benconance put us up for a trailer showing, but people can play the game during open demo.
  • Hi guys

It was great meeting you all and going my very first Community Night. Many thanks to Tim Hall for his expert presentation.

Best of luck to everyone.

Kind regards
    Nelson
  • Yup, thanks Tim - we love you, man!
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • It was great meeting you all and going my very first Community Night. Many thanks to Tim Hall for his expert presentation.
    Psst, you mean Nick. Nick Hall. ;P

Also, nice meeting you. GL with the production jobsearch!

• I was wondering who Tim was...thought I might have missed something big.
  • @dammit: T'was our friend, good ol' Tim Langdell that Nick referenced in his talk ;)
  • Yes yes yes, I was nervous and screwed up.

I wondered why nobody answered... :P