Indiestatik's top 100 most anticipated games of 2014 list

edited in General
There's some local representation on there. So many things to look forward to buying and then never getting around to playing too! :)

http://indiestatik.com/2014/01/01/indie-games-2014/

Comments

• Sweet Jesus. There's a lot to get excited about there.
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • The runners-up list has some pretty exciting stuff on it too: http://indiestatik.com/2014/01/01/indie-games-2014-runners-up/
  • edited
    Congrats!!! Awesome to see some international anticipation to buy local games!

2014 is going to be sweeet!
  • "Mansion Lord
    Murder Mystery Business Sim
    August 2014
    Turn-based Agatha Christie"

Whoa... Uh. Want!
    Thanked by 2EvanGreenwood Fengol
  • dislekcia said:
    "Mansion Lord
    Murder Mystery Business Sim
    August 2014
    Turn-based Agatha Christie"

Whoa... Uh. Want!
    It does look cute/interesting. And figures that just as I start working on my own (quite different) Agatha Christie-like I suddenly start seeing others pop up. There are at least two others currently doing the rounds.
  • edited
    "Mansion Lord"

Mansions are the superior location to bask (aside from jacuzzis).
  • Gah! I regret looking at that. So many people making so many amazing games. Though there was an interesting analyses from last year's list about how few games actually came out - used as an explanation for the ramp up in steam greenlight submission:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RyanCreighton/20140103/208013/Steam_Greenlights_Games_in_Bulk_Because_Most_of_Them_Dont_Get_Made.php

*Wonders what hope I have of finishing my silly dear esther thing about the end of the world now that I know the sequel is about exactly that. Also low poly art. That ship is sailing fast. Ack!
  • edited
    @TheFuntastic Rather finish it as an imperfect experience than fail to finish it at all!

There are way too many games that I have made that have gotten to the point of being kind of cool, but then due to the expanse of my ambition I dropped them instead of releasing anything at all. If there is something there that has value to other people then package it and stick it on a website, rather keeping it in a closet from which it'll never come out and you'll have to live with never being able to show anyone it because it's been left too broken.

Experiments are never a waste. BUT it's nice to have something to show for them even when they fail (it's nicer to have money, but than can be tricky).

And also, who says two end-of-the-world scenic tour games are too much for 2014?

AND! If your game is interesting then it'll be interesting even if it is a bit like Dear Esther 2, it's only if you are trying to make mega-sales in a saturated market that you have to worry about overshadowing by better marketed products. No one is seriously going to be like: "Damn, Dear Esther 2 invented End of the World scenic tour concept and this dude is just aping it in" if your game is interesting.

Remember how sad you were when Notch gave up on his stranded-in-the-heat-death-of-the-universe game? FUCK. Don't do that!
    Thanked by 2Merrik TheFuntastic
  • @TheFuntastic Keep going. This Agatha Christie thing I am doing is my second time I found that something else similarly-themed is being made just as I start on the project, so I understand the feeling. But in the end, your take on something won't be the same as that of someone else.

I always think of this, from a book by J. Michael Straczynski:
    Don’t worry if there’s a generic feel to your plot at this point. Consider this sequence: male meets female; they fall in love; they struggle to overcome forces against them; male dies nobly. Is this "King Kong" or "Romeo and Juliet"? The answer for both: yes. How you handle the details is up to you.