*[HIRED] RetroEpic - 2 Programing Positions

edited in Jobs
Hello Programmers, RetroEpic has a position for you!

Requirements:
• C#
• Unity Knowledge
• Game Portfolio/Passion for making games

Advantages:
• HTML5

Other Info:
• Salaries are market related and dependent on experience of the candidate.
• We unfortunately cannot offer relocation assistance at this time.
• We're expecting to appoint the new candidate early January, the start date would of course be dependent on the candidates availability and notice periods.

RetroEpic is a Cape Town based studio doing work for hire for overseas and local businesses in games and interactive media.
We also slowly working our own games which is pretty darn exciting!

Contact info@retroepic.com to setup a meeting.
The team is excited to be growing and we look forward to a having new member.

Comments

• Haha! :D

Does the asterisk apply to the eggs only, or to the bacon and eggs, or to the love for bacon and eggs, or to the portable gas stove with a love for bacon and eggs? Also, I was looking for an asterisk at the bottom with fine print, but it seems to be so small that I can't see it.
  • This also raises an important question: Does the applicant need to have a love for bacon and eggs, or own a sentient gas stove that has a love for bacon and eggs?
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • That asterisk is causing so much distraction one can almost say it came back to bite you in the asterisk.
  • Thanks for the interest guys, original post is updated with the common questions being asked.
    And removed my distracting bacon and eggs humor - because they were too delicious obviously :P
  • Pomb said:

• Salaries are market related and dependent on experience of the candidate.
    So what does that translate to in (roughly) for 1, 3, and 5 years of (relevant, solid) experience, say?

• edited
    I'm a bit out of touch, especially with game dev but if there is a high proportion of client work, then I'd say:
    <1 year: R10-15k
    3 years: R20-R30k
    5 years: R30-40k

Very willing to be corrected/hear others opinions. I would say the sexiness of the work can make those figures much lower, but then profit share etc start to come into the equation.
  • edited
    I'm also curious about what the market related salaries are for a game programmer in 2014.
    TheFuntastic said:
    <1 year: R10-15k
    3 years: R20-R30k
    5 years: R30-40k
    It's really hard for me to judge, because there aren't a lot of game programmers with 5 years game experience who aren't invested in their own projects in this country. Heck, there aren't a lot of game programmers with 3 years game experience in this country.

But it sounds about right?

(Though I'm not trying to put pressure on RetroEpic to be tied to these figures, there's so few companies making games that are hiring programmers, I'm f@king grateful that RetroEpic are contributing to this industry and succeeding)

But I really am curious about what market competitive salaries are for games programmers (and am happy to be wrong).

Like @TheFuntastic said, sexiness and profit share would obviously affect those figures.
    Thanked by 1TheFuntastic
  • @Lexaquilla and I are also curious about salaries and project banks. We should maybe run an anonymous salary survey in the new year.
  • @Fengol, +1 for anonymous salary survey.
    I think that will really help people get a good idea of the average salary structure out their. That way you know if you are expecting too much salary wise, or getting short changed. I know it will help me definitely :)
  • edited
    +1 For the anonymous survey.

I think it's possible the numbers will come out a little lower than the ones @TheFuntastic posted.

Obviously I'm also interested in game artists and animators salaries etc, as well as profit share (if the survey can somehow factor that in).
  • I'm happy to participate, but I'm not paid to write games. Would that matter?
  • So what does that translate to in (roughly) for 1, 3, and 5 years of (relevant, solid) experience, say?
    As rough indicators I think TheFuntastic's ranges would be within reason. We don't really prescribe salary tiers based on years of experience but rather consider each candidates unique situation and weigh in what we believe the market can sustain (A discussion for another thread perhaps).

We've found that developers who have shared their work with the world add far more value to our team than those who have managed to coast through their day job for a couple of years.
    Fengol said:
    @Lexaquilla and I are also curious about salaries and project banks. We should maybe run an anonymous salary survey in the new year.
    Absolutely agree - it would be extremely helpful if it could include some metrics on project scope and budgets. Running it annually could also help gauge the growth of the local development industry.
  • when we get the socking figures in we can decide to start a sa game fund from windfalls of games to support new projects with merit... oh and yeah id also like to know these rates to figure out how to get a local pixel artist to join my team or me on my project.
  • @Boysano I'm not sure if I've missed something, is there progress on setting up a "SA Game Fund" ?

I know I've heard interest in setting up such a thing from various community members with various degrees of resources and conviction.
  • first time i mention this.. but i think this is a good topic to discuss and would like to be part of it in future..
  • edited
    [This discussion now is quite far away from Retro Epic's post about two programming positions]

But... I don't think industry standard salaries matter much when it comes to incubating games... I'd think a better way to work it would be for the "SA Game Fund" to pay just enough money for the developers to buy food and pay for rent (etc), and then for the developers to have a lower debt to pay back when they release the game (and a better incentive to finish the game because living off ramen noodles isn't especially nice).

...So in an incubator scenario the salaries would be based on what they need, not what other developers earn.
  • edited
    @niX OK cool :) Until quite recently there hardly was any market at all, so the phrase market-related did not have much meaning. I guess as more people are hiring game programmers, a kind-of benchmark is forming, and like the others I am quite interested in what it is (insert disclaimer to make "benchmark" make sense :P). It's still a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation; for companies it can be difficult to find good programmers and artists, but if you are a good developer, it can also be tricky to find a good job when you need it. This makes money matters more complicated I think.
  • @hermantulleken For sure - I think it's tough on both sides at the moment, but our local market is maturing and we're seeing great talent being developed in related industries. The next year or two is going to be exciting :D

[Back to the OP]
    We've seen some great applicants and have run through the last of the interviews. Thanks to everyone for their submissions, we'll be in touch shortly. It's been great to get to meet you and I hope to see you all at the meetups.

To those of you who've read this too late - visit MGSA more often! :P
    Thanked by 1hermantulleken