[Event] Super Friendship Arcade - 21 February 2014

Comments

• edited
    @Bevis made a poster. He has a beautiful mind.

Thanked by 2Nandrew Tuism
  • Lovely and all. :P But to my understanding the Friendship Arcade is so much more broadly than pushing sexual expression, and the gross body / grunge biology overwhelms any other focus in this poster. I feel that it's more of a personal art/style marker for you guys by now and that the Arcade's identity is its own thing, especially since there's nothing about Joust that reminds me of penises (well, except for players waving around and slapping each others' Move controllers).

But you know what I mean. Rakete isn't about sex, just thrust and rocke-

Well I mean *Pole Ri- OH COME ON OKAY THIS PARTY IS VERY SEXUAL.

In all due seriousness, fakkin' great poster in itself, but I hope you guys aren't gonna pigeonhole your marketing.
  • Just one question - How many Adventure Time episodes do you guys watch per day? @Bevis' art is amazing.
  • @Nandrew You forgot to mention "Dark Room Sex Game"... which is just a little sexual as well.

Someone could always start a "Super Platonic Arcade" if they'd like a less sexy event.

• I don't mind giving you "Friends-With-Benefits Arcade", but I'm gonna keep Friendship out of your lexically imperialistic reach.
    Thanked by 1Chippit
  • edited
    I have a prior engagement, but hopefully I'll pull through a bit later in the evening.

I also agree with @Nandrew, some people will find that poster off-putting, which is the exact opposite of what you want from a poster for an event.
  • Super congrats on the event guys: was epic amounts of fun and totally by itself would have justified the trip down!

Sorry about joust bugging out a bit, but with six player games going I think it was really carp tons of fun :D

So more hugs and thanks to @Merrik and @TheFuntastic for putting an absolutely astounding event together. Now if you excuse me I need to pass out and recover for some more CT fun :3
    Thanked by 1TheFuntastic
  • Great work folks, definitely a success - interesting venue, lots of parking, good vibes and more than enough gaming going down to keep a crowd entertained!

Thanks as well to the guys willing to put their Move controllers on the line for rowdy Joust players, and keeping Joust running despite the technical difficulties.
  • edited
    Big thanks to everyone that helped out last night. @Karuji for his impromptu Joust assistance. Also massive thanks have to go to Tim (is he on the forums, I not sure. Will poke him with a stick if he isn't) for helping out with the Rakete controllers. Big thanks to our various donations collection people. We made about five times more thanks your combined efforts and now have a small but very useful profit for next time. Big thanks to all the other community members who helped grease the evening into a smoothly running event. Thanks @dammit for a rather large contribution to move controllers. Thanks @manikin and @creative360 for the use of your laptops. Thanks anyone else I've left.

Tell you what, here is a pool of thank yous. Help yourselves if I've left you out:
    Thanks, Thank you, Thank you very much, A thousand good wishes for your first born...
    Thanked by 1Merrik
  • Also, I think at this point we've got something which is tangibly different enough from Make Games to warrant it's own social media channels. Mostly so we can keep people informed of future events like this, who might not perhaps be interested in everything from make games. At the same time I don't want to dilute the Make Games name and still want to direct people who might be interested here.

Wot you reckon?
  • You're welcome to use the MGSA channels (YouTube, FaceBook, Twitter, Meetup, etc) for SFA. Just pass it along to @Bensonance to post it for you.
  • Pics? Writeup? What happened? Etc? :)

I have no doubt it was amazeballs :) We need more of this stuffs!
  • edited
    Someone suggested (I think it was @raithza) that there be a Super Friendship Arcade jam before the next event.

Personally I think this is a FREAKIN AWESOME IDEA. (I'd be overjoyed to facilitate that at the Mansion, unless a bigger/different venue is required)

@TheFuntastic I agree that there's reason enough for Super Friendship Arcade "to warrant it's own social media channels." (Though obviously in addition to keeping people here in the know)

In case I didn't say it hard enough at the event itself... I thought this was a mindblowing success. Although I don't have experience of many indie-game parties to compare it to, I personally felt this was easily as cool as a Wild Rumpus (if smaller), and more fun (the lack of over-poweringly loud music meant I got to actually meet cool people rather than exercise my amateur lip-reading skills for 6 hours).

I am racked with anticipation for the next one.
  • Well done everyone. There was a great turnout, plus some random teenagers that wandered in thinking it was a rad party with seminaked bitchez until they saw that we were all clothed and there was no crazy dancing or coke snorting and left.

But I have to say the music was too loud. Painfully loud. Even way before joust started, during which time one would need loudish music. My throat was really sore after just five minutes of trying to talk/yell to people, I actually lost my voice for the rest of the evening, and my ears are still ringing. It would be great if next time it could be at a volume that at least allowed people to speak to one another and hang out instead of sort of just screaming and not being heard. I think the skating area was really great for joust, but that under a glass bell was a little inacessible up on the high end of a skate ramp there. The evening was mostly good but I did feel a bit excluded/alienated because of the incredible loudness, and also a little by the promo art for the event, which, while really good art in itself, definitely did not cater to what I would describe as my demographic.

Apart from all that I think this could definitely become a regular thing. We can iron out the various kinks as we go along. :)
  • Wow, I've only just reached full consciousness again.
    What a fucking rad night! I met so many cool new people!

So much thanks to everyone that helped us out and came to the rescue at the last minute! I'm going to owe a lot of people post meet up thank you beers!
    Thanks to @dislexcia for bringing sports friend, and to Bryan for letting us use his projector!
    I'm very grateful for the initiative of @Creative630, @dammit and @dislekcia in enlightening attendees to the existence of the donation box :) We got some pretty decent donations. Not enough to recover our expenses but it certainly helps! Also, thanks to the Under a Glass Bell guys for setting up and demoing!

I'm keen to have more local games at the next event.
    An experimental game jam would be killer!

High five all around!

• @TheFuntastic - Yeah, I definitely think overall you guys have a different target market to that of MGSA. It's something @bensonance and I have been chatting about as MGSA technically has 2 different audiences - those that make games, and those that want to buy the games that are made. We're still working on the second one :)

I think the key would just to in ensuring that the message that there is a game dev society in South Africa producing these games is felt. My big fear is that people assume that the only games are international ones. It might be useful to have signage for information about each game - so that people know who made it and where it can be found, what it's called etc.

We made about five times more thanks your combined efforts and now have a small but very useful profit for next time.
    Merrik said:
    We got some pretty decent donations. Not enough to recover our expenses but it certainly helps!
    ??
  • @dammit

Lol - looks like @TheFuntastic took the money and ran while @Merrik was recovering from his hangover :P.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • I think @merrik forgot I had some money from us and the game industry for expenses. But we actually still need to debrief and tally up everything properly. In any case, the amounts were talking about are very small in the greater scheme of things. Think we may need to consider an entrance fee based approach next time... Still need to figure how to accommodate random walk ins though. Those are the best!
  • @danelle thanks for the feedback. You're the first person who said the music was too loud. In fact a few have said they were glad the music wasn't too loud. I do wonder if maybe perhaps you hanging out by the speakers was a factor. But yes, ringing ears is definitely not the goal! So thanks for the feedback. We will take it under consideration. Also feel free to approach us during the event to let us know it's overbearing. We're still trying to figure this out. Glad you had a good time ;)
  • edited
    Think we may need to consider an entrance fee based approach next time... Still need to figure how to accommodate random walk ins though. Those are the best!
    Simple - Designated, in shifts, persons to be like "Hey, can I show you around so you can see what's going on and then you can decide if you want to join in? At that point you can pay." :)

This can also make it more welcoming because there's someone engaging with you immediately and explaining what the hec all the noise and commotion is about.
    Thanked by 1TheFuntastic
  • @thefuntastic Yeah we did hang out by the speaker a bit, but I did move around too and had the same problem. I'm just not as robust when it comes to noise I suppose. But I have to wonder what people consider loud, if that was not it! +_+
  • Uhhh ... regarding the donations, a bit of curation wouldn't go amiss. I mean, I actually forgot to put anything in before I left. :P

I'll give you buckazoids the next time I see one of you.
  • I know there were people not carrying cash who were interested in getting some EFT details. Maybe you could put those up somewhere?