[Event] Super Friendship Arcade - 21 February 2014

edited in Events

Date: Friday, 21st Frebruary
Time: Doors open 19:00
Venue: The Pit (Behind Clarkes Bar on Bree Street)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1462241667321941
Games:

-Rakete
-Pole Riders
-Joust
-BROFORCE
-Under A Glass Bell
-Wang Commander
-Dark Room Sex Game
-Ninja

@TheFuntastic and I are super keen to put together a games exhibition/party in January to show off all of the cool stuff that the community is making. It would also be great to increase awareness of Make Games amongst other creative spheres in CT.

The first thing we need to do is nail down a venue. It would be awesome if we could do this in the next week. The venue could be an exhibition space or it could be a bar/club. It really depends on if we want it to be more of an art exhibition or a more of a party.

Alexander bar has been suggested as a possibility. Its sounds pretty awesome, but I believe its very small. Another option we are looking into is Decodance Underworld. Please recommend other venues!

Obviously funding affects our venue choices. If it's a party then we could possibly have a cover charge, however, if its an exhibition I think it must be free.
Presently we have a budget of exactly R0 but I have a lead on funding that I'll look into this week.

Comments

• I've put you in touch with a couple of friends over on Bookface. They hang out with a lot of arty types, have many many many many local contacts and run a new digital mag called Land 'n' Sand - in short, they might be able to help out in some way, in reference to you mentioning perhaps wanting to get other people involved. :)
  • Looks like we've found a venue. Clarkes Bar on Bree street. They have a rad space behind the bar with a half pipe which they use for gigs and other events. We'll probably organise a small scale event at the start of Feb with Joust and one or two projectors for Rakete/Pole Riders/Broforce.

Next order of business is to assemble as many Move controllers as possible. If anyone has any leads on people selling them let us know!
  • @Merrik, can you be more specific on the date? Then we can get @Bensonance to create a FB event and possibly make it easier for you to get the required move controllers :)
  • edited
    Not really. We can chat about it tomorrow night with @TheFuntastic over beer :)
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Yay for venue! Sorry for my derp advice about "skateparks" earlier - Clarkes totally isn't one.
  • I've got Samurai Gunn if you guys are keen to maybe jam that. Looks pretty dam frantic with the 4vs4 battles
    Thanked by 1Merrik
  • @duncanbellsa: That sounds amazing. How do you set up 4 v 4?
    Do you need 8 controllers?
  • @Merrik

Ah sorry I clearly wasn't thinking when I typed that. I meant 4 player free for all battles!
  • sounds like something i can bring my wife along to and thats cool..the monthly is too technical for her likes.. she likes parties!! whoot
  • Dammit!! Now I desperately want to play 4 V 4 Samurai Gun.

Fully Torqued for the Super Friendship Arcade.
    Thanked by 2duncanbellsa Merrik
  • Ah crap, just realized this is happening in Cape Town. I read "January" as "Johannesburg"...

Total bummer :/
  • edited
    @duncanbellsa bleak :( (Sad face not blue disgruntled face)

I'll take up the torch and bring my Samurai Gunn if need be.
  • @TheFuntastic Any ideas on dates yet? We'd (@Bensonance and myself) love to get stuck into spreading the word about this event and the more lead time, the better :) If there's anything you need in order to make the decision that we can help with, please shout.
  • We Jozeez totally need to do this too! :D
    Thanked by 1hermantulleken
  • @Dammit, we're busy discussing with venue organiser's. ;)

I think the first one going to follow a prototype format - meaning it will be quite low key, basically just us and a few mates while we figure out the format and how to set up everything/smooth over technical glitches etc....
  • @Dammit, we're busy discussing with venue organiser's. ;)

I think the first one going to follow a prototype format - meaning it will be quite low key, basically just us and a few mates while we figure out the format and how to set up everything/smooth over technical glitches etc....
    So, a bunch of friends + devs at a bar that also has a miniramp I can skate AND there will be local multiplayer games to play with everyone? This is sounding like the perfect evening out.

Thanked by 3Merrik Manikin RangerJo
  • Out of curiosity you guys managed to settle on a date for this? Thinking about heading down to CT soon ;)
  • Pretty sure its going to be around the weekend of the 21st of Feb. I'm still waiting for Clarkes to confirm a date that works for them.
    Thanked by 1Karuji
  • edited
    31st of February! Prepare your anii.
    Thanked by 2dammit Karuji
  • @Merrik you should totally update the OP with details ;)
  • When is the 31st of February?
  • @Fengol...obviously it's right after the 30th.
  • Is the 31st of February also Monday the 3rd of March?
  • Nope. Leap year!
  • Merrik said:
    Nope. Leap year!
    I am very confused? Is there like a joke doing the rounds, is there trolling going on, too confused :/
  • Maybe the 28th? That's a Friday...
  • Maybe it's the 21st, that's a Friday as well?
  • I'm being a proper idiot. I will confirm with Clarkes. They told me the 31st.
    Thanked by 2Nandrew Chippit
  • And maybe, just maybe, Clarkes were trolling YOU. They're gonna be laughing their asses off when you call them back. :3
  • So after a great deal of miscommunication the final date is Friday the 21st of February!
    Which is actually super soon! O_o
    Just under 3 weeks away!

Thanked by 1Karuji
  • I'm also excited to announce that the Broforce Arcade will be at the event!
    An uber-bro in Cape Town is building a cabinet for Broforce! So fucking cool!
    His name is Chris! This is his human form next to the work in progress!
    BEHOLD!!!

• That is F***ING AWESOME!!! also dig all the remote planes on the ceiling XD
  • Sorry for favoriting the date over the broforce cabinet, but solid date means that I can make plans to be in CT ;)

PS anyone have a spare futon/couch/space on the floor?
  • From what time is the event?
  • From what time is the event?
    No idea. The evening.

So we're still trying to find Move Controllers.
    At the moment we only have 2.
    Does anyone know who brought the other 2 to the MGSA christmas party?
  • Merrik said:
    We're still trying to find Move Controllers.
    At the moment we only have 2.
    Does anyone know who brought the other 2 to the MGSA christmas party?
    That was @FrancoisVN and co from Stellies.
  • I don't think we came through for the Christmas party. We brought 2 move controllers to the last meetup though. Unfortunately we don't really have direct access to the move controllers any more, and (although I would really like to) I'm not sure if we will be able to make the super friendship arcade. I should know for certain by the end of the week if we will be coming, and if not, I might be able to borrow the controllers again if some can pick them up.
  • Will poke @Bensonance if I can borrow his :)
  • Rad, thanks guys. The more the merrier.

@dislekcia Can we use your copy of Sports Friends for the party?
    I'll shoot the devs a message this week and check that they don't mind us exhibiting the games.
  • Okay guys:

The facebook event is live:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1462241667321941

Unlike the movie screening we're actually wouldn't mind keeping this one small for now - as we a have a fairly limited amount of equipment and we're quite new to the format. The sort of turn out at a regular community meeting would be great.

However the spirit of the event is about exposing new people (who might not otherwise play video games) to the awesomeness and gently blowing their minds with some good natured fun. So if you brought anyone to a previous movie screening who then went "Woah! That was awesome!" - well you should totally shoot them an invite. ;)
  • edited
    On tickets, and the future of the Super Friendship Arcade:

We're going for the pay what you want model, or rather pay based on the size of smile on your face. :) The main problem for us is that we'd like to keep the event free, but we'd also like to see this become a regular thing and expand the line up with more games. The catch is that most of these games require dedicated equipment. PS Move controllers, Arduino boards, game pads etc get crazy expensive crazy fast.

Ideally we'd also really like to start enabling the creation of South African games at these events. For instance it would be really cool to take a recent community game like under a glass bell and say: "Here's R500 and an arduino expert, go make yourself a custom headphone switcher." So any way, hopefully we can figure out a way to make that a reality and still have an awesome time together.

And on that note if anyone has a brother uncles mother with a PS move controllers, please ask if we can borrow them. We are also probably going to need extra gamepads if anyone's got?

Edit: Alternatively sponsorship would be great if anyone knows a guy? ;)
    Thanked by 1Nandrew
  • So, has anyone invited the 2bop guys yet? This is right up their alley.

Also, yes, I'll make sure to bring my Sportsfriends playable stuff. How many machines do we have?
  • I'll have my mac with me :3 also damn forgot to talk to Ben last night at the meet, sooo busy :<
  • @dislekcia I've spoken to them in passing about it. I should officially reach out to them though.
  • Have you guys thought about maybe placing box arcades in small arcade shops around the small areas (townships) in South Africa, kids will love it.
  • Very Cool guys! Will be in CPT then and looking forward to it :)
  • edited
    Ugh, why oh why dont I live in capetown? You guys have all the fun :*(
  • Got the go ahead from Doug Wilson to exhibit Sports Friends! :D
    Things are going accordingly...
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • Just bought a couple of move controllers for R350 each at a shop called Gadget Time. Apparently they have a Canal Walk branch as well (we cleaned out the store I was at) so we'll head there later and try to pick up some more.
    Thanked by 1Merrik
  • Quick update from the Stellenbosch side: unfortunately it seems very unlikely that we will be able to make this Friday due to another commitment we have in common. Sounds like it's gonna be a great event and we will definitely make a effort to come to the next one :)