Project Red Rock

edited in Projects
Hello guys,

I've been lurking around the forums for quite some time. Finally decided it was time to present the project I've been working on, with a friend, since March this year for a varsity project. Project Red Rock.

About the game
It is a topdown, multiplayer, shooter. (With AI)
Focusing on fast paced gameplay with a possibility of limited resources (ammo, gear).

Story
Since it is essentially a deathmatch type game, the story wasn't fleshed out as much.
The year is 2035, with prisons on Earth becoming over populated, Earth's leaders look to an alternative solution. A prison colony on Mars. When supplies from earth become scarce, riots erupt throughout the colony. After receiving an emergency broadcast from the colony, Earth sends a clean up crew, you, to the colony to attempt to stabilise it. Unfortunately, the spacecraft malfunctions shortly after landing leaving you trapped. Fight to survive.

Technical Side
Built in the Unity game engine, it includes an entirely Lua driven UI, and various other things to increase modding potential. (Sadly it's not quite where I want it to be in terms of that but work continues on).

Download
1.0.0 Release Candidate (22mb)

Known Issues
- Due to a known issue in our choice of scripting engine (KopiLua) sometimes the interface will simply break, usually restarting the game or restarting the level will fix it.
- Able to shoot through walls on some levels.
- Dodgy AI movement on clients.
- No server browser for locally hosted games. (Work needs to be done in order to facilitate this at least to a degree).

Any feedback, ideas, constructive criticism welcome.

Comments

• TOP DOWN SHOOTERS FOR THE WIN!!!! :D

Love Top Down shooters ;) hahaha seeing as Pixel Boy is one :P

Its so awesome to see indies experimenting with Genre and what we can do with multiplayer set ups :)

A few questions I have:
    + Is the goal of the game to be primarily multiplayer?
    + Are you guys dead set on the art style (realism?) or would you consider doing something crazy :P
    + What sort of progression systems do you guys want to have :)

Keep up the great work!
  • + Is the goal of the game to be primarily multiplayer?
    Yes, basically free for all, with no real winning condition yet.
    + Are you guys dead set on the art style (realism?) or would you consider doing something crazy
    Our art style has mainly been the result of lack of dedicated artist, so it has mainly been what we could source for free or for minimal cash (being students).
    + What sort of progression systems do you guys want to have
    We currently don't have much in the way of progression specifically, it's more to do with player skill (and luck). But it's definitely something that I want to spend more time on exploring.