Art dump (desiring critique)

edited in General
The work MGSA's members share on this group is truly inspiring, and a good reminder of the need for me to practice.
I really would like constructive criticism on my work as I feel it is the only way to really step back from what I have done and learn. I've been trying my hand at digital art, as I feel I need to branch out from the traditional in order to create work that can be used in games (the main reason we're here, is it not? :P). My work is nowhere near the standards I've seen here, and that's why I think I could learn a lot from your opinions :)

P.S: Are there any resources that could be suggested (books, websites) to aid in learning digital art? Possibly 3d modeling/animation as well? (I like to try many things :P) I believe in experimentation, but some guidance is appreciated :)

The first pixel art I tried:

Experimenting with colouring and shading:

Trying more complicated colouring and shading:

Attempting sprite creation with more complicated shading: (Also attempted a bit of background)
panda fx copy.png
96 x 96 - 9K
cat1shading.png
300 x 150 - 7K
fin3_edited-2.jpg
851 x 315 - 96K
stitch complete.jpg
4372 x 1854 - 1M

Comments

• Are you looking to do concept art, pixel art, 3d modelling or sculpting? They are all different, but I would suggest doing something you really enjoy and can sustain it. Maybe try and get involved in a project that you would like to see your work in? What are your current strengths at the moment, and your interests?

For concept stuff I recommend this channel on youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbdyjrrJAjDIACjCsjAGFAA

Im a 3d animator, but its true what they say, it all does come back to drawing, which is why im doing a full circle and going back to drawing now with a tablet. I have neglected my drawing for too long! :)

Your pixel art already shows vast improvement from your first cat to your Stich one, so keep at it, if that's what you like to do.
    Do you also have a firm grasp on the technical aspects, like what is RGB, resolution, Sprites, Sprite sheet/atlas etc.? Also file formats, transparency etc.

• Just to second @iceblademush, Feng Zhu's tutorial series are an excellent way to get better at not just concept art, but drawing / sketching / painting in general.

http://www.fengzhudesign.com/tutorials.htm
  • http://wiki.polycount.com
    http://www.artbypapercut.com/downloads/

--
    For the most part, I feel the best bang for time spent is in doing studies/copies. Value/compositional studies, colour studies, studies-studies-studies of master paintings, master sculptures, photographs, stills from film, etc. Focus on training your eyes and brain, on learning things "the hard way", rather than looking for shortcuts or tracing.

If you took a still from the Lion King, for example, you could first try painting it in shades of grey, then only in splashes of colours (trying to get the mood, rather than necessarily aiming for recognisable shapes), then as a straight copy, then drawing the animals without their skins (ecorche drawings) to study animal anatomy, and then even try painting the same scene from several other camera angles.

And draw. All the time.

Learning software, pipeline, workflow, we could teach you on the job in a couple of weeks. Learning to be a great artist takes years.
    Thanked by 1garethf
  • Are you looking to do concept art, pixel art, 3d modelling or sculpting? They are all different, but I would suggest doing something you really enjoy and can sustain it. Maybe try and get involved in a project that you would like to see your work in? What are your current strengths at the moment, and your interests?
    I'm not really sure, I've always been interested in a variety of things so I can't really pinpoint what I would like to work on most. The concept art I've seen is stunning, pixel art is very useful for games, and 3D modelling seems very interesting. Currently I'm strongest at traditional pencil drawings, although it is a very different field to digital works (pretty much unusable in terms of today's media). My problem at the end of the day is that I seem to have my finger in many pies and can't settle down to one specific area.
    Your pixel art already shows vast improvement from your first cat to your Stich one, so keep at it, if that's what you like to do.
    Do you also have a firm grasp on the technical aspects, like what is RGB, resolution, Sprites, Sprite sheet/atlas etc.? Also file formats, transparency etc.
    The Lion King and Stitch images are digital drawings, while the cat and panda are pixel art. I'm afraid I messed up the layout in this post :(

I have experimented a lot in photoshop with regard to the above concepts, although I probably know more of it by feel than by actual technicality.
    Just to second @iceblademush, Feng Zhu's tutorial series are an excellent way to get better at not just concept art, but drawing / sketching / painting in general.
    As for tutorials, I will definitely look into watching Feng Zhu's videos! :)
  • @Elyaradine,
    http://wiki.polycount.com
    http://www.artbypapercut.com/downloads/

--
    For the most part, I feel the best bang for time spent is in doing studies/copies. Value/compositional studies, colour studies, studies-studies-studies of master paintings, master sculptures, photographs, stills from film, etc. Focus on training your eyes and brain, on learning things "the hard way", rather than looking for shortcuts or tracing.

If you took a still from the Lion King, for example, you could first try painting it in shades of grey, then only in splashes of colours (trying to get the mood, rather than necessarily aiming for recognisable shapes), then as a straight copy, then drawing the animals without their skins (ecorche drawings) to study animal anatomy, and then even try painting the same scene from several other camera angles.

And draw. All the time.

Learning software, pipeline, workflow, we could teach you on the job in a couple of weeks. Learning to be a great artist takes years.
    I took design as a subject in school which involved a lot of work analysis (at the time I thought my teachers were crazy, but the principles they spoke about eventually caused me to see it in every work I encountered).

I will definitely start experimenting more (unfortunately most of the drawings I've done have been replicating photographs/screenshots). I seem to have an OCD about drawings, in that everything I draw looks wrong which ends up in me resorting to copying references to the last line and avoiding straying from anything that is existing. :/ Time to get over the fear of mistakes! :)
  • Wrote an entire piece and didn't hit send. Shame on me. :P

Anywho, three main points:

Technical growth:
    Grab those pencils and draw. And doodle. Draw from life. Draw from reference. Draw, draw draw. Drawing is great for improving line work, nailing shape and getting to grips with composition along with a few other things. To improve your understanding of form: paint, sketch with charcoal or grab your graphics tablet. Since these allow you to fill in areas quickly you can quickly jot down areas of value. For tutorials there are so many sites it's intimidating, but I'd like to add that Pinterest has some great collections of tutorials if you search for the right boards.

Creative growth:
    Whilst copying the works of others is great to help you get an understanding of how they do what they do and what works, you really should experiment. Doodle, go abstract, model things in 3D without necessarily having a clear goal in mind. This is the creative counterpart to your technical growth. Mistakes will happen often, and early on 9 out of 10 times your experiments will look like shit. That really isn't important. :) The important thing is that you try new things and have fun doing them, learning as you go along and coming to terms with your own creative voice. Your unique flavour is ultimately what sets you apart in the graphics industry, and whilst you will need to be able to adapt to a slew of different stylistic requirements, people WILL take notice of what sets you apart. Personally I'm super excited about your wide range of interests, and super impatient about seeing your experiments. Get on that. ;)

Maintaining growth:
    Look at LOTS of other work (again, me adoration of Pinterest makes me recommend it). Read a lot of crit, even on work that isn't your own. Submit your work for crit (kudos, you've started already), and don't feel shy about voicing your opinions on other people's work. The point of this is to develop your ability to help yourself by pinpointing areas of improvement (also known as mistakes, but a positive spin keeps you positive) and also know how to fix these. http://conceptartsa.com/ is a GREAT South African concept art community. The crit I got there was superb, without anyone dumping superiority complexes on me. Having said that, develop a thick skin: not everybody is that kind and you often have to weather a lot of bitchiness in order to get to that super valuable crit.

I hope that is remotely helpful. I'd REALLY love to see some experiments and mistakes and whatever else you got. Know that I've got my pompoms and miniskirt and am cheering you on (it's a ghastly sight with my hairy legs, but it's the gesture that counts).

Go forth and make awesome!
    Thanked by 1CandyflossKid
  • Looks good. I really like your colouring and shading experiments.