[Event] Ludum Dare 24

Its Ludum Dare this weekend!

A small group of us will be jamming at the University of Cape Town on Saturday. Anyone is more than welcome to join.
The venue is Room 303 which is on the 3rd floor of the Computer Science Building on UCT's upper campus.
We'll start at 11 am.

If you are keen to join and don't have a wireless connection then could you let me know by posting in this thread.
At the moment we only have wireless support but we can make an elaborate plan if necessary.

For anyone taking part in LD somewhere else, it would be awesome if you would join us in posting screenshots and commentary on what you are working on in this thread.

Happy jamming!

Comments

• edited
    Hey guys, so I've just finished my Ludum Dare compo game. This is my second Ludum Dare entry, the last one I did was LD#22 and I kinda failed at it, this one went better but I did not do nearly as much as I had hoped I would finish.

Here is the link to it, so please check it out for details, play it and tell me what you think!

EDIT: The easiest is probably the web build if you have Unity Web Player installed. (Its only 50kb in comparison to 6mb)
  • Wow, it's 3AM and probably time for some sleep! Well done UCT guys, and again, I'm very sorry I didn't join this time. I'm sure you lot had a great time, and I'd by lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to seeing someone get electrocuted or burnt by @BlackShipsFilltheSky 's shitty kettle :P

@creative630 - Looks cool man, am definitely gonna give it a go tomorrow. I think my brain's a bit too fried at this point to do anything strategic :/

Here is my entry, Rise of the Meebas. Like Mazz's, it's probably easiest to run in the web player. I had a very vague idea, that was far too reliant on developing clever levels and puzzles, so the fun factor I originally wanted to prioritize got left behind a bit when I realised the basic mechanic was a bit of a derp. But I'm still very happy with this.
    Anyway, let me know what you think.
  • @Manikin That's an awesome game dude! I'm very impressed. Haha, I love how the legs start flailing around when you're in the air, it hilarious.
  • Haha thanks @creative630. Once I had that animation playing - and didn't bother to stop it playing when the thing was falling - I knew I had to keep the flailing in! Hence why I probably spent way to much time carefully positioning stalactites so that your Meeba would crash into them, roll, and flail to its death at various occasions.

I had a crack at yours and loved it! It has a very cool, almost SHMUP feel to it... am I right in thinking the orange pixels' shoot direction is based on which way you're moving when you touch one? Or is it random? Either way, I really like that idea of upgrading by picking up and creating a crazy mass of pixels! Nice one!

Any other LD entrants care to post their stuff?
  • @creative630 why don't you host the web build on nightmare? It kinda defeats the purpose if you have to download it :P.

The single player worked out really well, it reminds me of Kobo :D
    I encountered a bug at the end of the levels where it said there was still one more enemy left, but could not see it. I think it might be an issue with resetting the level after the player dies.
  • edited
    I'm going to take what I got in terms of gameplay and go full looky-feely and see what I get out of it. Should be in time for the jam handin. I've not done polish type tasks in a while and I'm rusty on the shaders *clicks knuckles*

Will put up a link/screens sooon
    Thanked by 1Merrik
  • @Manikin Thanks dude, yeah the orange ones shoot according to the direction you pick them up.
    @Merrik How do you host on nightmare again? I was aiming for it to feel like kobo, thanks for noticing :) That bug irritates the crap out of me, I couldn't figure out how to fix it before I submitted :/
  • edited
    Yay, handed in with 1 minute 33 seconds to spare! (spend the last hour trying to get the webplayer to talk to google sites >.< with no luck)

Didn't get as much done as I had hoped. Either way, hopefully it is not too confusing to a new player. It is a very sandbox sort of game with zero user testing. Feedback always welcome :p

Ludum Dare Jam Entry

[edit] just uploaded web version to my uct site here
  • Yay for my first Ludum Dare entry!

It's by far the best if you play it on the webplayer because on anything else the textures scale too much and the UI elements dont cover the entire screen....
  • @D3zmodos cool game dude, I gave up at Level 5 though cus its so haaaard. The web build seems to be down, it keeps just showing the install unity web player logo (I definitely have unity web player), but the windows build was great.
  • @creative630 awesome game dude, was fun, I felt like a boss when I had 13 guns shooting in all directions :) Keep on keepin' on!
  • edited
    @Pomb thanks dude, much appreciated. Hope your pc didn't start lagging/smoking when you grew so big :P, I should have put a cap on how many pixels spawn or something.

@Raxter Your game looks, feels and sounds way more polished. Well done! I started off having my little dudes flying absurdly high, then I managed to figure out how to kill off most of my population (they even turned green at some point, Rad!).
    Thanked by 1raxter
  • edited
    The Ludum Dare #24 results are in.
    My two best results were:
    31st in Innovation 3.88
    41st in Fun 3.68

How did everyone else do? Did anyone find awesome entries they'd like to share?
  • Congrats! That's out of 1000 or so games!
  • Such a simple yet fun game! Congrats! :D
  • Thanks very much! Here are some of the best games that I've played so far:
    The winning game "Evoland"
    Epocalypse
    Strike of Rage !
    Influenza
    Plan M
    Thanked by 1Miltage
  • And Influenza is by our very own @Miltage! (Pity I'm terrible at it)
    Thanked by 1Miltage
  • Wow these Ludum Dare stuff are so damn inspiring! That Strike of Rage is made so prettily! Cool effects and feel!

They make it look so easy @_@
  • Haha, this entry broke my mind! Its so very funny.
  • @creative360 Thanks for listing my game! :D

It came in 11th in innovation and 10th overall!
  • No problem, I recognised your nick and picture from your post on reddit so I checked it out. Friggin awesome game! Definitely deserved to be in the top 10, well done! Are there plans to continue working on the game or is it "done"?
  • Thanks. Yeah, I'm busy working on a new version. I'm re-designing the mechanics to eliminate some of the weaker aspects and I'm going to add new levels/art/sound.

When it's done I'm gonna put it up on some flash portals and see if I can make a bit of cash off ad revenue.
  • @miltage cool idea. I played it and really enjoyed the concept, here's a bit of feedback:
    1) I didn't know when I could and couldn't use an ability... I eventually figured out the bar diminishes, but I couldn't figure out how much energy I needed to use an ability. It almost seemed random... Maybe some kind of indication of "you're trying to use this ability but you need this much more energy to use it" visual feedback.
    2) lot of the game got down to waiting... Which is "realistic", but would be nice if you could influence the movement of people, even in some minor way.
    3) I couldn't figure out when people go into doors - and when they do, where they pop out from. Perhaps more feedback on that.

Looking forward to next versions and some kind of post mortem on it ;) good job!
  • @Tuism Thanks for your feedback. I'm changing the way the game works. Employees will have tasks in the office and will move back and forth between them instead of just randomly. This'll change it from a game of chance into a game of strategy.

That's the plan, anyway.
  • Awesome! That sounds like a perfect solution! :)