Mobile input test to Last Man Standing app

edited in Projects
Apologies for the low quality video, but I wanted to share the mobile input test to PC for the development of the Last Man Standing App.
Early days and still lots to do.

Comments

• I don't get what you're show, who's moving the camera and characters? I don't see what you're doing on the mobile device.
  • Lol colour me confused too, I'm with @Fengol, the correlation between what's going on on-screen and in your hands seem to be 0%... Is it some kind of cool AI that does stuff, which is "started" by a mobile device?
  • Basically the computerised robots, at this stage, are controlled by the iphone. This is a huge achievement for us.

Our testing was to see if we could control the robotic men, on the PC, with an iphone.

Like I say this is still early stages, hence the raw look.
  • So you've got the phone and a server of some sort connecting via a network? Or are you using Bluetooth?

I assume the goal is to do like, dice rolls on the phone or something - or is it more complex than that and people are going to be voting with their phones for each person's performance and that's hidden from the other players?
  • Oh hells yea connecting mobile to a PC is awesome, that's something I'd LOVE to do, eventually. I want to make iPhone <-> iPad connection standard in all my games (one day).

What's this done in, UDK I see, but are there external libraries or stuff that allows that kind of stuff generally speaking?
  • dislekcia , correct! In this video we connected iphone and PC all via a network.

The phone becomes the players controller, allowing the game to be displayed on either big screen / PC or tablet... and the phone does the work.
  • Tuism, yip, we used UDK.
  • Hi all. I'm the nut holding the phone!

Just wanted to clear up some things:-
    As you may be able to tell, we're doing this in UDK, no other add-ons required. Just download "UDK remote" from your app store and make sure your phone or tablet is on your wireless network. Setup your PC IP address and Voila!

I was actually geeking out more because the whole thing just worked (almost) first time. Just had to tap the screen and the roll-the-dice sequence was activated. The Bots are controlled by the UTBot controller and animation set; all "the touch" does is set is the destination and they do the rest. We still have to change the Bot (Actor) type to render in a non-UTgame type... and create custom skeletal meshes, controller types, animation sets, textures, sounds... etc. etc. etc...

So I understand that it didn't seem as "earth shatteringly" awesome as we may have led on; but it was a small-but-important step for us to achieve.

Also really like the idea to have multiple phones as input voting device, no idea how I'm going to do it... but really wanna try...

We have made some more progress recently: like number of player selection screen and input; onscreen cursor, "touching" actors in the world... once we fix the game-type "thingy" will try to post an update.

if there are any other questions, please feel free to ask? We don't do any coding (yet) so everything has been done in Kismet; but I'll happily post screen shots if anyone needs anything?
  • @Dazfuzz: So are your players going to need to download the UDK Remote (how will you tell them to do that)? Or can you roll the remote functionality into an app that you provide them with as the game for their phones? It's really cool that you didn't have to do anything annoying like networking :)
  • Ummmm... yes on all 3 fronts!

But seriously:- I have no idea, the current game is being developed for iPads as as standalone app... the "networking" to other phones is gonna be a bit tricky... but I really, really am liking the idea more and more... Damn you!
  • @Dazfuzz: UDK's networking is pretty sweet. I'm pretty sure you could set up gamestate objects, set their replicated variables and methods and get away with not having to do much else. Then everything else in the game would just check state variables in the gamesate that was relevant to them.

So your original plan was just 1 iPad, no networking at all?
  • @dislekcia I really like your thinking!
    BTW, loved your intro to Desktop Dungeons - very cool!