Dew Rider

edited in Projects
Hello Everyone

Here is a client branded game we recently launched using unity3d.
Its a cool bmx game with tricks and levels. We have just launched the facebook version and currently in dev with the iOS and Android versions.

Feedback from this game community is most welcome :)
enjoy
https://www.facebook.com/MountainDewSA/app_164321843775087

Comments

• Heya, I tried to check it out but I'm not in the habit of letting random stuff access my FB info, so I clicked cancel. Then the same message popped up again, so I clicked cancel a second time, ready to come back and ask if you had a non-FB-payload version... Then this happened:

"I'm stuck in an app that keeps asking to access my info or post on my behalf, and I can't dismiss the message.

If an app asks to access your info or post on your behalf and won't allow you to decline or click Cancel, it isn't following our policies.

Please report the app if it continues to ask for your info. We appreciate your patience, and thanks for helping us enforce our policies."

So I have no idea what that means, but I thought that you might want to see about stopping people getting a message popping up saying they should report your app!
  • @dislekcia I just clicked 'Skip This Step" and I avoided any posting on my wall.

The polish of this game is really cool. The gampeplay has its moments (knocking the dustbin into the Zombies ahead, followed by an explosion of Blood is amazing.) There are also some nice pace changing momemnts where you go downhill. Overall, though, I think the jumps stagger the gameplay wayyyy too much. They slow you down constantly and make it increasingly hard as you go through the level. This became really frustrating and I couldn't even go onto the next level. Perhaps the deceleration for jumps is too much and could be reduced? For me the best moments are when you build up speed and then engage in some twitch skill jumps - but this feeling doesn't last long due to the massive jump deceleration.

Thematically the game is so close to being authentically South African - the Spaza shop signs and the Security guard signs are great, but the car models all being sports cars was quite distracting for me. The rundown urban environment was also cool.

Also, I'm not sure about the inclusion of Zombies - even apart from it being a cliche. Advergames are kind of a guilty pleasure of mine, and I like them more on the denigrating side of things.

@Nitrogen also did an advergame for an Energy drink, and hilariously all the bosses were based on other Energy Drinks (There was a Red Bull etc). This denigration is super interesting because it reinforced a dislike and distaste for other products, by contrast to the drink the play as/represent (as players are very endeared to their avatars) - this is manipulative, perhaps, but we are talking about advertising here. :P
  • @Bensonance: There was a "skip this step" button"? I only saw a popup asking for access to erf and blah with buttons for cancel and okay.
  • dislekcia said:
    @Bensonance: There was a "skip this step" button"? I only saw a popup asking for access to erf and blah with buttons for cancel and okay.
    There's a skip after you click Okay :P

The first okay gives the app access to your Facebook id no, name, and potentially email address - mostly public info but thats it.
    The second click grants/skips additional requests that the app wants - such as being allowed to post to your wall.
  • Lol that was quite cool

- I hated how the bike lost momentum when you're in the air. I could never build up enough momentum for any satisfying jumps.
    - Couldnt get the tricks to work but I'm notoriously bad with key combos. Tapping space and double tapping space seemed to do the same jump. No arrow keys did any tricks for me.
    - The zombies were a bit weird, especially with the car guards nonchalantly drinking mountain dew nearby :P

I think this could have been quite a cool paperboy style arcade racer with an SA twist if it had gone a different direction...
  • Video for those not wanting to play and just look -
    Thanked by 1tbulford
  • Video much easier thank you.

My thoughts hopefully all constructive.

Pro's

1. The camera angle really makes the scene more interesting.
    2. Like the physics mechanic. Hope you did a lot more with that.
    3. The dark back with the vibrant colors is great if not a little distracting at times.
    4. Like the extra effort making him put his foot on the ground before her starts.

Con's

1. Big fan of zombies normally but feels forced.
    2. Trick physicals seams very mathematical and the spin seams to be centered on the front wheel not the center of gravity.
    3. Not much feedback on the main character when he hits a zombie its like they made of thin paper.
    4. Kick back in the air is really really fast.
    5. Some trick notification and combo scoring on screen would make doing the tricks more appealing.
  • Looks good. How long have you been working on this?