[Event] Roundtable Discussion: Empowering women in the computer games industry

edited in Events
When: Thursday 17th October 17:30 - 18:30
Where: Digital Arts Seminar Room
Extra: Cheese and wine to follow

Hi All,

Wits Digital Arts is hosting a roundtable discussion with Annika Olofsdotter Bergström, who is a game researcher based in Stockholm. Annika is currently the Swedish expert for the Nordic Game program and lecturer in Game education at the University of Södertörn.

The discussion is about the inclusion and empowerment of women in the games industry.

This is not an issue that is important to only women, but should be something of interest to everyone working in games that care about equality and representation.

We would very much like as many people in the South African industry as possible to attend and join the conversation.

Best,

Hanli
pdf
pdf
Annika Digital Arts Soiree.pdf
Thanked by 1Stray_Train

Comments

• Badly want to come, but will not be able to make it :(
  • edited
    Really like this! There's been enough talk on the subject from very limited few loud sources instead of a more balanced view from more people. Will try to make it! Same thing- at the Nunnery right?
  • Yup, same place :) It would be great to have you!
  • The flier says that it's from 17h30-18h30. I've never attended round table discussions but I'm assuming it's a format close to the usual ones we have were some things are said and then there is time for questions and discussions. Will that be enough time to do that?
  • That is pretty much the format. I hope so, the time was set by the organizers (this time I'm just the in-betweener) so I'm hoping they know what they are doing :P
  • edited
    Seeing what the students did the snacks from Daniel Matros I very much doubt that there'll be cheese and wine afterwards :P

I'll try to be there; just need to provide the wife with alternate transport.
  • Gah. I really want to be there, but I'm pretty sure with the traffic at that time I'll miss half of it. :<
  • Yeah the traffic would be a big thing. 5:30 is difficult to make on time.
  • Oh wow, I would really, really love to be there, but this Thursday is out for me :( I hope there will be a recording of the session?
  • I'm going to speak to @Gareth_starstreem about recording the session
  • That would be really great @Fengol and @Gareth_starstreem our video guy is unavailable.
  • Will be there.
  • I hope you guys win at recording this, I really wish I could attend!
  • @Merrik, you just want to attend so you can show them your Wang... Commander
  • Oh damm now the agonizing decission: do I wear the MGSA rAge t-shirt or the Wang Commander one.

@hanli think it will go down the wrong way if I show up to a panel on promoting women in games whilst a t-shirt of two intertwined penises?
  • edited
    @Karuji not in the least. I wear mine just to remind myself not to 'rise' to self entwined flaccid dicks. :P
    Thanked by 2Bensonance Merrik
  • btw, we have arranged to have the discussion recorded (just sound, no video) for posting.
    Thanked by 2Tuism damousey
  • I am excited about going! Hopefully the traffic will be okay!
  • hanli said:
    btw, we have arranged to have the discussion recorded (just sound, no video) for posting.
    @Gareth_starstreem can't make the event tonight but I should be getting the camera to record as well!
  • Awesome to see that this will be recorded. Would love to learn more about her opinions! Looking forward to it.
  • Can't make tonight, Thursdays I'm usually not available... I'm looking forward to the recordings already! :)

Just noticed that a bunch of videos have went up on the YouTube, gj everyone :)
  • A very informative and different talk. Big thanks to @Hanli, Wits and the Swedish embassy for organizing it. We need to continue the discussion at a community night.
    Thanked by 1CandyflossKid
  • @Tuism, where you finding things?
  • Serious food for thought. I really enjoyed hearing other's views on the matter! :) I had similar opinions, but I was raised with the option of lego and computer games (obvious choices over dolls, yech), so it isn't all that surprising :P