E: LURKER

Comments

• Can you imagine a demon with an afrikaans accent?
    LMFAO - Please make this a real thing.
  • edited
    @Pixel_Reaper I downloaded and played it yesterday.... wow man it is intense. I looked at your AI state machine image above and an idea came to mind...

In Unity there is already a powerful state machine engine that is implemented via the Mecanim Animation tools. I wonder if one could simply piggy back off that and use it as the driver for an AI state machine - using its state transitions? Just a thought... so one wouldn't have to purchase or roll ones own?
  • @konman that's a very interesting idea, I would have never thought of it. Sure it would be possible to use Mecanim's state transitions like that, bit of a cheat though ;P but honestly if you are willing to do that then for just slightly more effort (read typing) you might as well roll your own. That's my thoughts on it. But yeah it's possible :)
  • edited
    @Pixel_Reaper Mmmh, I think I might try a prototype sometime after reading @Nitrogen's post about his ideas around states.

Something like this maybe...

• I just played the game through in one take and didnt see the monster AT ALL! Did i break the AI by confusing it so much?
    I think the music could've stayed atmospheric all the way through...It kind of relaxed me a bit towards the end because I was paying less attention to the game and more on the drums and melody (Im a composer :)). Also, the voice in the end didnt really scare me either..Maybe its because of the severe pitchshifting that I spotted.
    Overall though I was a bit scared so well done!
  • @konman haha strange but cool, pretty nice for visualizing.

@Mexicanopiumdog Either you scared the monster or it was stalking you without you noticing :P had a look behind you? if I remember correctly the monster can hear you opening doors if it's close enough, and those little flying lights will tell it where they last saw you if they encounter the monster. So chances are it knows about you...
  • Haha, no I didnt look behind me but at one or two places I did hear it! Can the monster also open doors because Im sure I didnt open all the doors in the maze...unless I was looping around the entire time...but jho...I totally lost coordination throughout the game! Are you going to take this game further?
  • @Mexicanopiumdog - the music was meant to make you feel more tense not relax you! (Worked it to the 5 minute time limit with a buildup at the end) :P
  • Haha! @Gibbo the culprit! :P I really liked how it started off and simplicity is the key in horror/ambient...You kind of want to feel alone and it makes it scarier if the Sound Fx are louder than the music....it unsettles you how loud door squeaks are etc.
    Was a cool piece but I ddnt make me more scared :(
  • @Mexicanopiumdog yeah the monster can also open doors... though it is supposed to close them behind itself. No I probably wont do anything with this in the foreseeable future. I had fun with it, an it allowed me to experiment with a few things, but I have since moved on to more complex stuff. In hindsight I could have made way better design decisions :P

@Gibbo I liked your music. Instilled superstition and paranoia at the start, and desperation towards the end of the 5 minutes. At least that is what I experienced.
    Thanked by 1Gibbo