Windows 8 Unity port performance issues

edited in Projects
We started performance optimization for Toxic Bunny HD on Windows 8 mobile.

If anyone here is interested in the things we had issues with and the solutions we found the blog is up here

http://blog.celestial-games.com/2013/10/porting-toxic-bunny-hd-to-windows-8-in.html
Thanked by 1hermantulleken

Comments

• This is stangely enough about to become the story of my life for a while. Thanks for sharing!
  • You about to embark on a Windows 8 mobile project?
  • The solution was struggling to convert "0.0" into a float. It appears here in South Africa we supposedly use a "," as out decimal point
    I hate to go out on a limb without facts but if memory serves me correctly the 0.0 to 0,0 change came with .NET 4.5 or was in the pipeline somewhere. Annoying I know.
  • Yeah, about to start a win phone 8 project. Annoyingly have to upgrade everything from OS up just to compile. That annoys me about new platforms...
    Thanked by 1tbulford
  • @LazzyLizzard if that change did come about it was in line with the South Africa governments deceleration of how we see decimal points or should I say decimal comma's. If we still used points I would have shipped and found the code breaking in another territory where they don't use '.'.
  • edited
    Let me know if you need testing done (I have access to Win8 machines, could potentially organise to test on tablets [possibly on a Surface] and WinPhone8 devices also).

@LazyLizzard: for some reason the decimal settings default to ",", however it is quick and easy to fix:
    Search "change date, time or number formats" from the start menu, Settings tab -> Additional Settings in the Region window that pops up -> Change the Decimal symbol

That being said you should probably use the built in type.ToString() and type.Parse() or type.TryParse() when converting back as different regions use different systems for the decimal symbols (for whatever reason).

Edit: Oh, and it is just "Windows Phone 8", they dropped the "Mobile" part of their branding a while back.
  • It is a good thing you found it now, hehe.
    Floats, decimals, time & date, threading. All things that seem to find ways to creep up and show us how we don't know everything hahahahahaha. It's bitten me before too
  • @edg3 thanks I will do, right Microsoft and Nokia has assisted with a bunch of mobiles so we good on that front.